Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muscles magoo

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 01, 2007, 04:14:49 PM
Quote from: muscles magoo on March 01, 2007, 03:01:25 PM
Quote from: westmayo on March 01, 2007, 01:36:52 PM
Toady is the first of march according to the county board the league will start up again in the county on Patricks weekend. But as far as I know no fixture list has been circulated for the first round never mind the season, it's only two weeks away now. (If it has, I offer my apologies now). But I suppose this is what we expect from a county board that saw the completion of the 2006 league in 2007.

Fact.

I see James Horan had a swipe at the CB on this very issue in this weeks Western People. Fair play to him but I'd say his sister didn't thank him for it seeing as she is the County Board PRO....

She's his cousin rather than his sister

Noted, apologies to all concerned.

MacDanger

As far as I know, the game will be played on the weekends as listed by RedandGreenSniper  but not necessarily on those dates i.e. could be a mix of Saturday/Sunday games.

It's pretty lax of the county board not to have finalised it at this stage, is it dithering on the part of clubs that's holding it up or what??

AbbeySider

Quote from: muscles magoo on March 01, 2007, 03:01:25 PM
I see James Horan had a swipe at the CB on this very issue in this weeks Western People.

He took a fair swipe at the team in general. Very critical article in general but I cant disagree with him either

Mayo4Sam

I see Gavin Duffy has resigned for connaught, i wonder is there any possibility of him going back to football?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

OirthearMhaigheo

not a chance would be my initial reaction M4S. I doubt Connacht would allow him play another sport anyway?

rosnarun

QuoteDivision 1A
Cross v Louisburgh
Ballintubber v Tourmack
Westport v Belmullet
Kiltane v Ballinrobe
Davits v Moy Davitts
looking at it like that !a looks very weak
unless cross have gone further back than i thought they shouldnt have too much bother there.

As regard duffy i dont think he'd be in much shape for football after a few years rugby training thank good there no such a thing as a crash ball in football yet
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Mayo4Sam

I think Duffy would have no bother making the mayo team if he decided to go for football, hes a phenomenal talent
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

OirthearMhaigheo

I agree with you on his ability M4S, I played against him a few times and he's a class act. It's just that he wouldn't be able to play both codes. With rugger gone professional they just wouldn't allow it so that's why I reckon there isn't a chance we'll see him in the Green and Red again. Shame, as we could do with a powerful lad like himself around the middle of the park but we've long lost him to the oval ball me thinks.

stephenite

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on March 02, 2007, 06:00:21 PM
I agree with you on his ability M4S, I played against him a few times and he's a class act. It's just that he wouldn't be able to play both codes. With rugger gone professional they just wouldn't allow it so that's why I reckon there isn't a chance we'll see him in the Green and Red again. Shame, as we could do with a powerful lad like himself around the middle of the park but we've long lost him to the oval ball me thinks.

His contract will have a clause along the lines of not being allowed to play any other sports that may cause injury, Gavin is a phenomonal talent, but rugby is in his blood and we all knew that it would be his first sport

Farrandeelin

The draw for the Championship takes place this Tuesday night in the TF. I think it's kinda weird that the clubs will know who they play in the Championship before they know who they play in the league and the league is just around the corner.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

MacDanger

QuoteHis contract will have a clause along the lines of not being allowed to play any other sports that may cause injury, Gavin is a phenomonal talent, but rugby is in his blood and we all knew that it would be his first sport

If he has resigned from Connacht, then is his contract still binding? Have they agreed to releasing him or are they holding him to the terms of his contract?

He would indeed be a great addition but it would be a double-edged sword in my eyes, would be a killer to see Ballina regain a quality player like that but on the other hand it would be great to see him get a chance to show for Mayo...........

Tubberman

I think the word 'resigned' is causing a bit of confusion here  :D

McDanger, Gavin Duffy has signed for Connacht for a second time, returning from England i.e. he has re-signed for them.

So, he's very much a Connacht rugby player, so will not be available for Mayo I'm sure.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

MacDanger

Oops, apologies about that, as you say I read it as "resigned" rather than "re-signed"!!! Monday morning and all that........

Farrandeelin

Any word on the Club Championship draw? It is to be made sometime this evening.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Some better news regarding injuries. Barry Moran played for the U-21s on Sat, so it looks like it wasn't the injury that prevented him playing in Clones, he's just not in favour.

From The Mayo News:

DESPITE Mayo's third victory of this National Football League campaign last Sunday, John O'Mahony was adamant afterwards that his team's position in Division 1 had still not been assured for next season.
"I wouldn't see our position consolidated with six points," he told The Mayo News. "I think we need more points. We are going to go after everything we can now. To a certain extent the pressure is off us a little because the Limerick and Fermanagh games are the ones you are expected to win.
"Cork's last home performance against Tyrone was magnificent and there'll be a backlash after their loss to Dublin. It's difficult to get points away from home, we'll be going in as underdogs, and hopefully we'll relish that."
Mayo's defence recovered from an indifferent opening to produce an outstanding display, holding Fermanagh scoreless for a 40 minute period. All six had their moments with Billy Padden turning in an accomplished performance at centre-half back.
"It's knitting in and they're getting used to each other," John O'Mahony admitted. "Enda Devenney has settled in well, so has Liam O'Malley, all of them as a group are doing well. It's important for a defence that they play well as a unit as well as individually.
"Billy Joe has settled in well at centre-back and hopefully we can get that team-work going because any team is greater than any individuals. We're not there yet but we're getting there."
On the injury front, Barry Moran is expected to return to full training this week. The Castlebar Mitchels midfielder lined out for the Mayo U-21 team last Saturday after recovering from tonsilitis and injury.
Goalkeeper David Clarke was not on the bench for Mayo last Sunday because of a back injury but Kevin O'Neill is expected to have recovered from his hamstring strain for the match against Cork on Saturday week.
However, David Brady looks likely to miss the trip to Pairc Uí Rinn due to his calf injury. The Ballina midfielder hopes to do some running next weekend and the April 1 clash with Dublin looks the most likely date for his return.
And what of Ciaran McDonald? "Ciaran did a bit of light training with us during the last few weeks," O'Mahony revealed. "He's working in Cork at the minute, that contract is due to finish soon, but we have to be patient.
"This was an injury that affected Ciaran before the All-Ireland last year. We'll have him back as soon as we can. He's doing everything, our medical team are doing everything, but he's not going to be available for the next game or two."
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."