FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 19, 2016, 01:35:51 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 18, 2016, 07:23:53 PM
Haven't been paying much attention to the FBD this year so had to dig up who started at the weekend for Galway and the team was

Brian O'Donoghue (Claregalway)
Cathal Silke (Corofin)
Declan Kyne (An Fháirche)
Liam Silke (Corofin)
Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
Thomas Comer (Williamstown)
Enda Tierney (Oughterard)
Paul Conroy (St James)
Tom Flynn (Athenry)
Sean O'Curraoin (Carna Caiseal)
Eddie Hoare (St Michael's)
Sean Denvir (Michael Breathnach)
Niall Walsh (Killanin)
Adrian Varley (Cortoon Shamrocks)
Danny Cummins (Claregalway)

He's given plenty of lads a chance to be fair to him, given we've lost Lundy & Duane we need to find at least 4 new players who can make the next step up this year. I'd like to think we'll see improvements from Liam Silke, O'Currain, Flynn, Shane Walsh, Comer & Adrian Varley this year and surely Conroy will have a better year after a poor one last year.

I'd expect Tyrone to get promoted so that leaves one spot up for grabs; I suspect Galway, Armagh, Derry & Meath will all be pushing for promotion and I'm sure Cavan will too although I don't think they will whilst Fermanagh & Laois will be content to stay in the division. I was expecting promotion this year whilst we benefit from a settled side with a few new additions but given we've lost Lundy & Duane and the likes of Hanley, Bradshaw, O'Donnell, Sice, the Sweeney's & Shane Walsh haven't appeared in the FBD for a variety of reasons I'm not sure what to expect. Given a lot of the teams look to be on a similar level I suspect 10 points would certainly be enough to gain promotion whilst it may only take 9 like last year.

O'Griofa out for the year as well.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 19, 2016, 01:57:07 PM
Haven't been paying much attention to the FBD this year so had to dig up who started at the weekend for Galway and the team was

Cathal Silke (Corofin)
Liam Silke (Corofin)
Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
Paul Conroy (St James)
Tom Flynn (Athenry)
Niall Walsh (Killanin)

He's given plenty of lads a chance to be fair to him, given we've lost Lundy & Duane we need to find at least 4 new players who can make the next step up this year. I'd like to think we'll see improvements from Liam Silke, O'Currain, Flynn, Shane Walsh, Comer & Adrian Varley this year and surely Conroy will have a better year after a poor one last year.

I'd expect Tyrone to get promoted so that leaves one spot up for grabs; I suspect Galway, Armagh, Derry & Meath will all be pushing for promotion and I'm sure Cavan will too although I don't think they will whilst Fermanagh & Laois will be content to stay in the division. I was expecting promotion this year whilst we benefit from a settled side with a few new additions but given we've lost Lundy & Duane and the likes of Hanley, Bradshaw, O'Donnell, Sice, the Sweeney's & Shane Walsh haven't appeared in the FBD for a variety of reasons I'm not sure what to expect. Given a lot of the teams look to be on a similar level I suspect 10 points would certainly be enough to gain promotion whilst it may only take 9 like last year.

Forgot about him , you optimistic for this year?

Keyser soze

Cathal Silke (Corofin)
Liam Silke (Corofin)
Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
Paul Conroy (St James)
Tom Flynn (Athenry)
Niall Walsh (Killanin)

Can i ask what's happened them, injuries?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Keyser soze on January 19, 2016, 02:26:11 PM

Cathal Silke (Corofin)
Liam Silke (Corofin)
Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
Paul Conroy (St James)
Tom Flynn (Athenry)
Niall Walsh (Killanin)

Both have gone to America.

Maroon Manc

Cathal Silke (Corofin)
Liam Silke (Corofin)
Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
Paul Conroy (St James)
Tom Flynn (Athenry)
Niall Walsh (Killanin)

Lundy & Duane have gone to the States. Lundy didn't hit the heights that were expected of him last year, he did look like someone who would benefit from a break after his exploits with Corofin.

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 19, 2016, 02:33:33 PM

Cathal Silke (Corofin)
Liam Silke (Corofin)
Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
Paul Conroy (St James)
Tom Flynn (Athenry)
Niall Walsh (Killanin)

Lundy & Duane have gone to the States. Lundy didn't hit the heights that were expected of him last year, he did look like someone who would benefit from a break after his exploits with Corofin.

I don't think Galway will benefit from his absence though.

Shrewdness

In view of the all important league match against Monaghan the following Sunday, we`re likely to see more of our fringe players on Sunday.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 19, 2016, 02:10:36 PM

Cathal Silke (Corofin)
Liam Silke (Corofin)
Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
Paul Conroy (St James)
Tom Flynn (Athenry)
Niall Walsh (Killanin)

Can't say that I am to be honest. Fair few players missing for one reason or another. Maybe a few of them will return by the Summer but you're really depending on a lot of young players taking a leap forward for it to be a successful year. Players like O'Curraoin and Flynn in midfield and Walsh and Comer up front. Plus new youngsters to break through like Peter Cooke and Michael Daly. A lot would have to go right.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on January 19, 2016, 03:27:11 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 19, 2016, 02:33:33 PM

Cathal Silke (Corofin)
Liam Silke (Corofin)
Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
Paul Conroy (St James)
Tom Flynn (Athenry)
Niall Walsh (Killanin)

I don't think Galway will benefit from his absence though.

Well no as much as he was subdued last year it's easy to forgot he was very good in 2014. That version of Lundy would benefit any side.

mouview

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 19, 2016, 06:08:43 PM

Cathal Silke (Corofin)
Liam Silke (Corofin)
Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
Paul Conroy (St James)
Tom Flynn (Athenry)
Niall Walsh (Killanin)

Can't say that I am to be honest. Fair few players missing for one reason or another. Maybe a few of them will return by the Summer but you're really depending on a lot of young players taking a leap forward for it to be a successful year. Players like O'Curraoin and Flynn in midfield and Walsh and Comer up front. Plus new youngsters to break through like Peter Cooke and Michael Daly. A lot would have to go right.

Very pessimistic for this year, think our deplorable lack of depth and real quality will become increasingly apparent as the year goes on. Staving off relegation may be the best we can aim for. Conroy and Flynn in particular have to push on and show they can be top line players, but I just have a feeling the latter has reached his limit, and Enda Tierney may be a better long term solution in midfield.

Mano

Quote from: sligoman2 on January 18, 2016, 07:12:21 PM
Christ we're shocking so far.  Don't know most of the team that played yesterday so I don't think we were going flat out for a win.

Need to wake up, can't street the league off with 3 losses on the trot like last year.

David Kelly and Ross Donovan have quit the county panel. Marren is out for 3 months, Mark Brehony is also injured. Niall Murphy has scored the majority of our scores from midfield. We cannot afford to be without 4 of our top players including our top scorers. We will be lucky to avoid division 4 this year.

Maroon Manc

Cathal Silke (Corofin)
Liam Silke (Corofin)
Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
Paul Conroy (St James)
Tom Flynn (Athenry)
Niall Walsh (Killanin)

I can see why but I do think there's a few reasons to be optimistic. I think of the 3 players who won't be around for the year only Lundy is a huge loss but he had no impact last year. We have plenty of younger players who were relatively new to County football and a few of them have plenty of scope for becoming physically bigger, I'd be disappointed if Flynn & O'Currain have not come back stronger over the winter. We've had 12 months under the manager so players will be more used to the way he wants to play.

Anyone remember what Kevin Walsh said after the Donegal game? From memory it was like he was suggesting he didn't want to get promoted from Div 2 last year. I suppose looking at it now if we had we'd have found it very difficult to stay in Div 1 and a relegation would have a huge backward step, last year we had 5 good performances in the league and then 2 very odd home defeats to Laois & Cavan when one win from one of those games would have seen us promoted.

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 20, 2016, 11:32:14 AM

Cathal Silke (Corofin)
Liam Silke (Corofin)
Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
Paul Conroy (St James)
Tom Flynn (Athenry)
Niall Walsh (Killanin)

I can see why but I do think there's a few reasons to be optimistic. I think of the 3 players who won't be around for the year only Lundy is a huge loss but he had no impact last year. We have plenty of younger players who were relatively new to County football and a few of them have plenty of scope for becoming physically bigger, I'd be disappointed if Flynn & O'Currain have not come back stronger over the winter. We've had 12 months under the manager so players will be more used to the way he wants to play.

Anyone remember what Kevin Walsh said after the Donegal game? From memory it was like he was suggesting he didn't want to get promoted from Div 2 last year. I suppose looking at it now if we had we'd have found it very difficult to stay in Div 1 and a relegation would have a huge backward step, last year we had 5 good performances in the league and then 2 very odd home defeats to Laois & Cavan when one win from one of those games would have seen us promoted.

If ye get relegated to D3 this year Walsh will look a right lemon. You go up when you can, not when the non-existent perfect moment comes along.

Cunny Funt

2016 marks the 5th year since Galway were relegated from div one which is too long for a county of Galways size,history and tradition to be away from.

If a lesser county had the pick of two recent U21 All Ireland winning teams and had club side like Corofin they would be very optimistic. If Galway repeat last year's form of not gaining promotion and not reaching the All Ireland quarter final then I think it will be clear Kevin Walsh is not the right manager to take them forward.

sligoman2

Quote from: Mano on January 20, 2016, 10:58:34 AM
Quote from: sligoman2 on January 18, 2016, 07:12:21 PM
Christ we're shocking so far.  Don't know most of the team that played yesterday so I don't think we were going flat out for a win.

Need to wake up, can't street the league off with 3 losses on the trot like last year.

David Kelly and Ross Donovan have quit the county panel. Marren is out for 3 months, Mark Brehony is also injured. Niall Murphy has scored the majority of our scores from midfield. We cannot afford to be without 4 of our top players including our top scorers. We will be lucky to avoid division 4 this year.
Why did kelly and Donovan quit?  Is there unrest in the camp?
Staying up would be as much as we can expect with those players missing.
What's the story with coen?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.