Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Quote from: hardstation on April 02, 2016, 12:38:32 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on April 02, 2016, 12:35:32 PM
Quote from: Give and Go on April 02, 2016, 12:26:03 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on April 02, 2016, 12:08:59 PM
http://gaeliclife.com/2016/04/john-martin-the-problems-with-alleged-match-fixing/

As one would expect. This is probably another story generated by a keyboard warrior. People need to get a grip of themselves and stop this character assassination of amateur players. So called supporters are setting hurling back decades with this type of nonsense. Shame on them.

I think the story started with people betting against themselves - that's what set hurling back.
How sure can you be? Have you seen a shred of evidence? We don't even have a name, after all this time? When the story first broke, it seemed to be the management blowing the whistle on it.
I spoke to people close to the management since and they are saying it is nonsense.
It doesn't stack up.

I'm sure a small number of people on the squad backed London to beat Antrim.
Not with any huge cash - and not sufficient to call it match fixing.
But I'm as sure as I can be that it happened.
Equally I've made it known how I think this matter should proceed (or not proceed).

NAG1

http://gaeliclife.com/2016/04/john-martin-the-problems-with-alleged-match-fixing/

As one would expect. This is probably another story generated by a keyboard warrior. People need to get a grip of themselves and stop this character assassination of amateur players. So called supporters are setting hurling back decades with this type of nonsense. Shame on them.

I think the story started with people betting against themselves - that's what set hurling back.
How sure can you be? Have you seen a shred of evidence? We don't even have a name, after all this time? When the story first broke, it seemed to be the management blowing the whistle on it.
I spoke to people close to the management since and they are saying it is nonsense.
It doesn't stack up.

Well if the management started off whistle blowing and then it spiralled out of control instead of strengthening their position it left them out in the wind.

Now it seems to be a position where no one wants to push it any further PJ is gone and a new manager will have to pick up the pieces. So looks like the way forward will be to keep it in house and as quiet as possible.

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on April 02, 2016, 01:17:15 PM

It doesn't stack up.

Well if the management started off whistle blowing and then it spiralled out of control instead of strengthening their position it left them out in the wind.

Now it seems to be a position where no one wants to push it any further PJ is gone and a new manager will have to pick up the pieces. So looks like the way forward will be to keep it in house and as quiet as possible.

Like I said at the onset - there was never going to be anything different.

So.
Anyone any inkling as to who's next to drink from the poisoned chalice?

bannside

Great piece by John Martin. I was thinking that there must be some substance to the "rumours" but now Im not so sure. May be someone making a mountain out of a molehill.

To be very honest I saw the game as a real banana skin for Antrim based on their poor form going into the game. I saw the odds of 1/4 Antrim v 3/1 London and knew those odds were wrong. I was tempted to put London into a small accumulator at such a generous price. Anyone seeing 3/1 about what should have been a 5/4 chance would have seen value.

Now if a player saw that, and had London in a £10 treble, which ended up winning him £100, and showed it to a few people after the match, would this constitute a breach of loyalty, or translate to a more serious offence of "non trier". I dont think so. Everything is relative and by the looks of this this entire story may have been blown out of all proportion. But then again Im only assuming...because I dont know anything more than that!

paddyjohn

It doesn't stack up.

Has there not been a few of the panel walked away saying that they won't play unless it's sorted or is that a rumour to?

Maybe I'm over reacting to it or being a keyboard warrior.

Seamroga in exile

Some players have walked because of the betting, until it's sorted. They know it happened.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

paddyjohn

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on April 02, 2016, 02:09:50 PM
Some players have walked because of the betting, until it's sorted. They know it happened.

And do you have proof of this? Clearly that's what we need here as any negative comments don't seems to go down well!

Sleeping giant

I read the article. Good read.  And yes maybe there wasn't hundreds of thousands made.  But there was players on the Antrim panel and starting team backed London.  This isn't being a keyboard warrior or starting rumors.its a fact, when players openly tell you it happened. That's good enough for me.  Hopefully whoever comes in can get the lads that want to be there and have pride in themselves and the jersey to knuckle down and win a Christy ring. 
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

culchie11

Lads to clear a few things up -

The cushendall money story is true

The county hurlers betting against their own team is true

PJ jumping before being pushed is true

The south Antrim game that was abandoned was to be replayed at St galls pitch but they declined that offer and were hence threw out of the competition. St. John's went on to play in the south Antrim final which was to manus bewilderment refereed by a North Antrim referee.

We can brush the whole lot under the carpet or make sure it doesn't happen again!! Ivan be sure if it were certain clubs time wouldn't be wasted in dealing with it.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: culchie11 on April 02, 2016, 03:02:49 PM

The south Antrim game that was abandoned was to be replayed at St galls pitch but they declined that offer and were hence threw out of the competition. St. John's went on to play in the south Antrim final which was to manus bewilderment refereed by a North Antrim referee.

We can brush the whole lot under the carpet or make sure it doesn't happen again!! Ivan be sure if it were certain clubs time wouldn't be wasted in dealing with it.

Any Good news
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

btdtgtt

Very little to disagree with there.
Except for an abandoned game being quickly re-arranged as opposed to one or both put out of the competition.
Very convenient.

reddog

Quote from: paddyjohn on April 02, 2016, 10:23:16 AM
Quote from: cfclg on April 02, 2016, 09:37:28 AM
Quote from: MoChara on April 02, 2016, 08:46:58 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 02, 2016, 08:11:02 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on April 02, 2016, 08:03:11 AM
The Antrim Hurlers can't be mentioned in the same way as Cathal McCarron.

Maybe is because of who is in involved RedDog wants it swept under the carpet. Those who are guilty should be suspended from both club and county.

Possibly the real answer there PJ

Now come on lads RedDog would never try and defend the indefensible for personal reasons

Maybe it was the Dog himself in William Hill placing big money on a London victory...........
[/quote

Can of worms opened there!

1. The Cathal McCarron situation revolved around a serious gambling problem. The point I am making is that people didn't turn there back on him as most seem to be proposing here
2. I love the Gaa but if these people did as alleged this means they either didn't care or have reached a point where they have a serious problem which has led to them letting their clubs counties team mates and friends down. Yes punish them but if they have a problem it is more important to try and help them. If they have problems what does it say about the GAA if they don't try and help them??
3. It doesn't impact on me at club or county level whatever the outcome. It just saddens me as an antrim man but have seen the damage gambling is having in communities and in the Gaa and see the human being as more imp.
4. Would never gamble in William Hill and get the feeling people think they know who I am. My club wouldn't be affected if rumours are true

I am trying to be constructive. I see tackling gambling problems as a bigger issue. The only thing I would ask people in the know is are the rumours true that the players and representatives were given £200 each expensives for the London weekend? I don't want people out of pocket but surely this put them in pocket?/

clootfromthe21

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 02, 2016, 03:07:57 PM

Any Good news

Minors beat Kildare by a goal in Leinster Shield Final.

Milltown Row2

We were winning with 2 mins to go!! The old start a fight and make the referee runaway and overturn the 'result' tactic worked

Anyway ours is of little newsworthy compared to the country teams and set up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: reddog on April 02, 2016, 04:21:52 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on April 02, 2016, 10:23:16 AM
Quote from: cfclg on April 02, 2016, 09:37:28 AM
Quote from: MoChara on April 02, 2016, 08:46:58 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 02, 2016, 08:11:02 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on April 02, 2016, 08:03:11 AM
The Antrim Hurlers can't be mentioned in the same way as Cathal McCarron.

Maybe is because of who is in involved RedDog wants it swept under the carpet. Those who are guilty should be suspended from both club and county.

Possibly the real answer there PJ

Now come on lads RedDog would never try and defend the indefensible for personal reasons

Maybe it was the Dog himself in William Hill placing big money on a London victory...........
[/quote

Can of worms opened there!

1. The Cathal McCarron situation revolved around a serious gambling problem. The point I am making is that people didn't turn there back on him as most seem to be proposing here
2. I love the Gaa but if these people did as alleged this means they either didn't care or have reached a point where they have a serious problem which has led to them letting their clubs counties team mates and friends down. Yes punish them but if they have a problem it is more important to try and help them. If they have problems what does it say about the GAA if they don't try and help them??
3. It doesn't impact on me at club or county level whatever the outcome. It just saddens me as an antrim man but have seen the damage gambling is having in communities and in the Gaa and see the human being as more imp.
4. Would never gamble in William Hill and get the feeling people think they know who I am. My club wouldn't be affected if rumours are true

I am trying to be constructive. I see tackling gambling problems as a bigger issue. The only thing I would ask people in the know is are the rumours true that the players and representatives were given £200 each expensives for the London weekend? I don't want people out of pocket but surely this put them in pocket?/

I'm not doubting your trying to be conscructive, but I can't see how you can compare  a lad like McCarron to Antrim hurlers betting against their own team. McCarron lost everything as far as I can remember & spent months in rehab, he didn't fly home to a job the next day. If what your saying that the panel got £200 spending money is true then somebody in the county needs to have a good look at themselves, suppose when you hear the rumours of what PJ and his back room were getting paid then it could be true.

I'm not saying that some of our lads are or aren't in the same boat as McCarron but the bottom line is that any sportsperson either Amateur or Professional that bet against themselves or the team they play for shows a complete lack of respect for the whole club or county, fans & players alike.

Anyway onwards and upwards. Does anybody know when the county are meeting to discuss the manager or any rumours of who will fill the job?