Armagh v Kildare 29.07.2017

Started by illdecide, July 17, 2017, 08:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Well done Armagh.

Great to see them turn over Kildare in a proper old fashioned contest. One of the best games of the championship so far. Yes there were mistakes a plenty on both sides but Armagh I felt deserved the win for bravery and everything else.

Gold

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 29, 2017, 09:54:30 PM
The space inside the Kikdare defence was unreal. The Armagh forwards will find s world of difference next week in rgst regard, whether it's Tyrone or Dublin.

Btw, Rafferty's point will get all the headlines but Jamie Clarke's last (may have beem second last) was my pick. Not for the finish but for the work of O'Hanlon dispossessing Conway and steaming up the Cusack side before setting up the score. Deadly stuff.

Agree re that score
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

balladmaker

How word how Armagh fared on the injury front from the game, any serious concerns going into next weekend?

LilySavage

Better team won. No complaints. Mcgeeney mite get some credit yet .

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

LilySavage

Saw that . Fairly irrelevant. First half running back from a 45. Yellow card right call.

Solo_run

Have to say,  fair play to the Kildare posters, gracious in defeat and a good bunch when winning....
.it really is a shame one team had to lose

LCohen

LCohen

Did Sky or the radio make much of the foul count? As well as Armagh played the foul count is still way too high. Discipline in the tackle is still an issue. Its infuriating to watch a player hit an opponent in the back and then protest to the ref that he hit him with the shoulder. There needs to be zero tolerance on backchat and FFS take the free from the right place. We are into the serious games now. Giving away frivolous scores cannot be an option

omagh_gael

I think that's what swayed the ref, LCohen. Although I'm not sure if the ball being in play is in the rule book re the black card.

I know it's been discussed to death but Aiden Forker is a total liability. Great player and scored a beautiful point but surely the biggest foul merchant going.

stew

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 29, 2017, 09:56:59 PM
critical of both Jamie Clarke and McGeeney.But I could not hold them in higher esteem

Ha right Tony , you practical had a vendetta against Clarke taking a year out, a few years back
too late to take it back now.

Right so we are, none of us allowed to ever change our opinion on any matter!  :-[

Catch yourself on man dear.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

LCohen

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 30, 2017, 07:55:30 AM
I think that's what swayed the ref, LCohen. Although I'm not sure if the ball being in play is in the rule book re the black card.

I know it's been discussed to death but Aiden Forker is a total liability. Great player and scored a beautiful point but surely the biggest foul merchant going.

Forker's discipline had been improving. He does a bit of mouth and react to a bit of mouth. But yes it is his general foul rate that normally does for him though.

On the mouth - what is actually saying that warrants a yellow card? If it's abuse of opponent or official its a black card. We are back to the disgraceful decision not to give Morgan a black card in the Ulster final. Officials need to take the black card and verbals serious. What is the point of the rule otherwise?

stew

incredible performance by Armagh, fifty minutes in I thought it was over, I knew the one things these lads are is that they are incredibly fit, that and the fact we were destroying them down the flanks gave me confidence, to be honest I thought we would be buried by halftime, I held Kildare in too high a regard.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

LCohen

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 29, 2017, 08:44:33 PM
I've been a verybopen critic of the set up and still have my reservations about some of it but well done to the whole team and management for a superb performance. To think where this team was not too long ago after the Tipp game in the league and then defeat to Down it is testimony to the players and management that they put in such a performance. Well done and hopefully we'll get the midgets from the bushes!!

Fully agree. I had and still have reservations. Admittedly less now.

There is more of a plan in virtually every aspect of the game. Players are more confident and more assertive. Selection has played a role. Blaine hughes being a case in point. Hindsight is great but him being in there at the start of the league and the kick outs sorted earlier in the season might have us in Division 2.

Width in the front line gives us the options. I would rather hear the crowd jeer at a couple of diagonal balls intercepted by their sweeper than watch us dispossessed after endless pointless recycled hand passes. The penny seems to have dropped.

I hope we get Tyrone.

All throughout the mcGeeney and Grimley era we have heard our chances and players talked down. I'm fed up listening to it. This morning the position of the fans seems to have tilted the other way. One fan on the armagh forum describing it as the best performance in 15 years. We need to be beating better teams than Kildare for that to be true.

The thought of Dublin is where my confidence runs out. I can't see us winning that one. An annihilation by the Dubs would be easy to brush over.

Tyrone are different. Mickey Harte and brand Tyrone are at the top table. The current bunch of players might get there and excel. But they are not proven yet. That gives us a chance. The other side of that particular sword is that if Tyrone do click and wipe the floor with us it will hurt and fester. Especially if Tyrone don't go on to do something

sam03/05

Jamie Clarke now on mouthing that Armagh have the best players in Ireland.
Aye right you play in Division 3 and we're beat by a woeful Down team!
Good one.