Armagh v Derry November 1st

Started by tonto1888, October 26, 2020, 07:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

What we reckon? Hopefully Armagh can continue with the momentum of getting to division one and run out handy winners. More like scenario is it'll be very tight with us giving away a lot of trees and hopefully scraping over the line

omochain

Thanks to GAAgo I have been able to see enough games for once to make a reasonable assessment of Armagh's chances in the game against Derry. In fact I watched a fair bit of the Offaly/Derry game last night. Your post is bang on Kemosabe.

APM

Armagh really struggled against Fermanagh the way they were set up under Rory Gallagher.  I can see next Sunday being the same.  One of the worst Armagh performances and one of the worst games I've ever watched was Armagh Fermanagh in the 2018 league. Armagh really couldn't work out how to get through the blanket that day.  The following year in the league, I thought they had Fermanagh and the Gallagher system figured out, but that will count for nothing on Sunday. 

I presume Gallagher has Derry set up the same way?  He surely has more to work with in Derry so if he has them well organised, then I would expect Armagh to struggle. On the flipside, for a new manager in his first season, the lack of any momentum might mean that Gallagher mightn't get that first season bounce. Derry certainly didn't bounce out of Division 3.  At least Armagh look to be improving, albeit playing in patches.  Long distance scores from the O'Neills plus a couple of 45s could make all the difference. 

smelmoth

Please, please, please let there be none of Gallagher's normal football. I haven't seen Derry in the league so I have no idea how they are set up. What I do know is that his Fermanagh playing set up was  anti-football. It's a disease on the eyes and corrosive to the soul. I can't see the Derry fans or clubs tolerating it.

To be honest I feel sorry for any squad being drilled that way. Especially with no back door. If they lose  playing that way (and I'm not saying that's a given) they don't get their months of that training back

JoG2

Quote from: smelmoth on October 26, 2020, 08:50:09 PM
Please, please, please let there be none of Gallagher's normal football. I haven't seen Derry in the league so I have no idea how they are set up. What I do know is that his Fermanagh playing set up was  anti-football. It's a disease on the eyes and corrosive to the soul. I can't see the Derry fans or clubs tolerating it.

To be honest I feel sorry for any squad being drilled that way. Especially with no back door. If they lose  playing that way (and I'm not saying that's a given) they don't get their months of that training back

Derry are setup like pretty much of every other county in the country.

I think we've improved defensively under Gallagher and have a couple of potent inside forwards. Hopefully a very tight competitive game. Would be some shot in the arm for our men to get over the line on Sunday at this stage of the team's development

lenny

Quote from: JoG2 on October 26, 2020, 09:13:20 PM

I think we've improved defensively under Gallagher and have a couple of potent inside forwards. Hopefully a very tight competitive game. Would be some shot in the arm for our men to get over the line on Sunday at this stage of the team's development

Armagh got promoted from division 2, Derry failed to get promoted from division 3. That's where the 2 teams are at. Derry might hold Armagh close for around 50 minutes but you'd expect Armagh to pull away and win by 6 or 7 points. Hope I'm wrong.

Captain Obvious

Armagh should win by at least 5 points.

Seaney

Is this on GAAGO, my wee lad who is more clued in than me says it's being streamed on BBC, feck knows how he knows that! -

Edit - Just checked armagh twitter and it states it is being streamed on BBC.  ;D

Seaney

What is the story with Jemar, has he just dropped out of favour, I always thought him and McElroy brought a bit of attacking threat.

theticklemister

Quote from: Seaney on October 27, 2020, 08:04:11 AM
Is this on GAAGO, my wee lad who is more clued in than me says it's being streamed on BBC, feck knows how he knows that! -

Edit - Just checked armagh twitter and it states it is being streamed on BBC.  ;D

Your son knows more about the GAA than you

LCohen

Quote from: JoG2 on October 26, 2020, 09:13:20 PM

I'm no fan of the Fermanagh set up under RG either. In addition to the ultra defensive set up there was not only an aversion to kicking the ball but the attacking game plan was essentially to win frees. Awful to watch and probably the most cynical approach to winning frees I have ever seen. Hopefully Derry football doesn't succumb to that shite

5times5times

What we thinking for match-ups?

R.Oneill v McKagiue?
Forker v McGuigan?
Burns v Glass?
Campbell v Rodgers?

Armagh without Donaghy & Murnin are 2 massive misses

Angelo

Is Danny Heavron back with Derry?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

toby47

Quote from: Angelo on October 27, 2020, 03:06:18 PM
Is Danny Heavron back with Derry?

No - despite Gallagher's best efforts

tbrick18

Armagh are rightly favourites for this.
But, Derry just missed out on Div 2 by the skin of their teeth with Down getting 2 points handed to them in a walkover and going up on the head to head.
Derry have a solid defence and a young athletic side with a couple of dangerous forwards.
We will probably struggle physically though.
I think it will be tighter than most think, but unfortunately I expect Armagh to go through.
But, it championship and it's knock out, so we can always dream.