China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Things are OK in Ireland if they can hold things at that. What they need is a formula to open the quiet pub, but not the party pub.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Boycey

Opinions wanted

I umpire for a friend of mine, since football returned we've had a couple of local gigs with only himself and two of us travelling in same car. Today was senior championship and we always go as a team of five usually in same car for the banter more than anything.

He said he'd call at usual time and when I suggest I'd drive and take one of other lads he couldn't see need? I reasoned that if it was decided that only 200 could be at matches and dressing rooms were out of bounds us piling into a car and heading over the road seemed to defeat purpose a bit?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on July 26, 2020, 10:24:56 PM
Opinions wanted

I umpire for a friend of mine, since football returned we've had a couple of local gigs with only himself and two of us travelling in same car. Today was senior championship and we always go as a team of five usually in same car for the banter more than anything.

He said he'd call at usual time and when I suggest I'd drive and take one of other lads he couldn't see need? I reasoned that if it was decided that only 200 could be at matches and dressing rooms were out of bounds us piling into a car and heading over the road seemed to defeat purpose a bit?

We were told to go separately if possible..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Captain Obvious

No reported deaths from this virus in Northern Ireland for 2 weeks.

armaghniac

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 27, 2020, 06:00:38 PM

Even the virus takes a fortnight at the Twelfth.

lenny

Quote from: armaghniac on July 27, 2020, 08:20:50 PM

Lol, I like that one.

seafoid

The virus must be in Bundoran
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on July 27, 2020, 08:29:23 PM

It wouldn't be the first virus around there at this time of year.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on July 27, 2020, 09:00:28 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 27, 2020, 08:29:23 PM

It wouldn't be the first virus around there at this time of year.
Very good
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GetOverTheBar

Have you lads chased Smurfy away?

Who would have thought we would get to the point that we were joking about the virus and the 12th in here.

Great to see, lets hope people focus on their own health over the next few months to avoid any scaremongering going forward etc.

Tourism is a tricky one....we can't survive without it...it looks like it's our only real issue....Thankfully we have two very competent governments on the island.

ONeill

Galway city fairly dead for the races. Dunno how many businesses will survive this. Was like walking around Portrush in the middle of December.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

Leaving aside a vaccine, I think improvements in testing technology could help manage this plague. If you had relatively inexpensive convenient testing then you could mass test the area around any case and keep cases to a minimum (like China did) and if tourists could get tested 3 days before travel and then again at the airport you would diminish imported cases to a minimum. You could even have mass periodic testing in places like universities and get those closer to normal as a consequence.

five points

Quote from: armaghniac on July 28, 2020, 11:42:00 AM
Leaving aside a vaccine, I think improvements in testing technology could help manage this plague. If you had relatively inexpensive convenient testing then you could mass test the area around any case and keep cases to a minimum (like China did) and if tourists could get tested 3 days before travel and then again at the airport you would diminish imported cases to a minimum. You could even have mass periodic testing in places like universities and get those closer to normal as a consequence.

I don't disagree but there are testing facilities in each or most sizeable towns but you seem to have to know the right people in order to get tested. I know of people who have returned from abroad and avoided quarantine because they got pulled into such places, but for most people it's not an option.

As regards the above comments about Galway being so quiet yesterday, the issue isn't so much international tourism but domestic. If people are so scared of this thing that they're afraid of venturing to Galway in the summer, then it suggests that everywhere else on the island is destroyed economy-wise for a long, long time to come.

NAG1

Quote from: armaghniac on July 28, 2020, 11:42:00 AM

Chances of this happening when the Gov't had to step in with Randox and stop them profiteering at a time of crisis?

imtommygunn

Randox have a bit of a reputation - you would hope other companies would maybe conduct themselves a bit better. If there is enough of a bulk requirement for the testing then even with smaller margins they'd make plenty anyway.

Though yeah you could be right and I have too much faith in human nature...