Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: LeoMc on August 10, 2020, 11:44:07 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 10, 2020, 11:42:08 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on August 10, 2020, 11:35:49 AM
Quote from: laoislad on August 10, 2020, 11:32:40 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on August 10, 2020, 09:34:34 AM
Anyone know what the logic is behind customers bieng asked to wear masks in shops, while staff are not?

Surely both should be?
Where's this? Any shop I've been in the last few weeks every staff member was wearing a mask or a face shield.

It's part of the new guidance in the North

It's mad, all you have to do is say you are exempt. No problem. No questions asked.
Sure why would you do that unless you were a selfish cvnt.

Just pointing out the folly of the actual legislation.

There'll be plenty claiming exemptions.

Maiden1

Quote from: sid waddell on August 10, 2020, 10:01:59 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 10, 2020, 06:35:28 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 10, 2020, 01:16:05 AM
Quote from: highorlow on August 10, 2020, 12:41:13 AM

It's a case of personal responsibility at this stage but some of the foreign nationals don't get that, particular the Muslims and the ethic travelling community.
This is like bad satire.

Sure why focus on the actual personal responsibility of the owners and management at meat processing plants to ensure safe working conditions when you can just lump it all on low wage workers and ethnic minorities.

The vacuous right-wing mantra of "personal responsibility" is both a dog whistle and a self-consciously fraudulent grift to protect untrammelled corporate power, and lack of corporate responsibility, and incompetence or worse.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/meat-plant-clusters-may-be-down-to-softly-softly-approach-1.4324924?mode=amp

We know now what works to stop the virus: distance, hand hygiene, masks. We know where the risky environments are: crowded indoor spaces, meat plants, shared accommodation.
Minimum wage workers have a "personal responsibility" to ensure they get their own flats rather than live in cramped shared accommodation, no doubt
Minimum wage workers live in cramped shared accommodation because they are on a minimum wage and can't afford to pay the rent and other bills on there own.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

five points

Quote from: Maiden1 on August 10, 2020, 12:16:45 PM

It's a case of personal responsibility at this stage but some of the foreign nationals don't get that, particular the Muslims and the ethic travelling community.
This is like bad satire.

Sure why focus on the actual personal responsibility of the owners and management at meat processing plants to ensure safe working conditions when you can just lump it all on low wage workers and ethnic minorities.

The vacuous right-wing mantra of "personal responsibility" is both a dog whistle and a self-consciously fraudulent grift to protect untrammelled corporate power, and lack of corporate responsibility, and incompetence or worse.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/meat-plant-clusters-may-be-down-to-softly-softly-approach-1.4324924?mode=amp

We know now what works to stop the virus: distance, hand hygiene, masks. We know where the risky environments are: crowded indoor spaces, meat plants, shared accommodation.
Minimum wage workers have a "personal responsibility" to ensure they get their own flats rather than live in cramped shared accommodation, no doubt
Minimum wage workers live in cramped shared accommodation because they are on a minimum wage and can't afford to pay the rent and other bills on there own.

Rents in places like Timahoe, Ballyhaunis or Ballyjamesduff aren't outrageous, especially for house shares. Many people come here to work in meat plants so they can save or send money home.

Maiden1

Quote from: five points on August 10, 2020, 12:21:33 PM

This is like bad satire.

Rents in places like Timahoe, Ballyhaunis or Ballyjamesduff aren't outrageous, especially for house shares. Many people come here to work in meat plants so they can save or send money home.
Yes I agree on a shared house but it wouldn't be viable for someone to move to Ballyhaunis on a minimum wage and rent a flat on there own.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 10, 2020, 12:00:11 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on August 10, 2020, 11:44:07 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 10, 2020, 11:42:08 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on August 10, 2020, 11:35:49 AM
Quote from: laoislad on August 10, 2020, 11:32:40 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on August 10, 2020, 09:34:34 AM
Anyone know what the logic is behind customers bieng asked to wear masks in shops, while staff are not?

Surely both should be?
Where's this? Any shop I've been in the last few weeks every staff member was wearing a mask or a face shield.

It's part of the new guidance in the North

It's mad, all you have to do is say you are exempt. No problem. No questions asked.
Sure why would you do that unless you were a selfish cvnt.

Just pointing out the folly of the actual legislation.

There'll be plenty claiming exemptions.

Since masks are for the benefit of others, there should be zero exemptions. If you really cannot wear one, and a face-shield is an option, then stay out of shops.
As usual, a serious lack of leadership from government.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ONeill

One of the maddest things about this virus is that no matter your opinion, you'll be able to find an article written from a supposedly reputable source backing you up.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2020, 01:51:48 PM
One of the maddest things about this virus is that no matter your opinion, you'll be able to find an article written from a supposedly reputable source backing you up.

I find that too. The masks are another example. I was reading someone's tweet yesterday (and this person is a respected journalist) saying people are stupid thinking masks worked as the science backs up that it doesn't - a real anti mask person. I looked to find that scientific evidence and it looked sketchy enough, but did exist, while in the meantime there are articles galore of how wearing a mask works.

Rossfan

Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2020, 01:51:48 PM
The bit I posted was about a real person in his 30s who is now suffering like a stroke survivor.

ONeill

***gaaboard offence taken alert ****

Sorry, I wasn't replying to you... Was just a thought off the top of me head.

Rossfan

What you say is true enough if you want to be expressing layman opinions of the pandemic.
I prefer to listen to the State medics and hope they get things mainly right.

sid waddell

This is like bad satire.

Em, yes, that's sort of my point

Hasn't stopped the vacuous "personal responsibility" mob vilifying them however

ONeill

I was talking to two people involved in looking after patients, over the weekend. Both experienced practitioners with a combined 50-ish years working in nursing homes and intensive care, and fairly high up the ladder in their respective areas.

I was asking them about masks and they had total polar opposite views on their effectiveness in terms of the public wearing them.

That's sorta mad.

RadioGAAGAA

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.29.2001352#html_fulltext

That is what will happen with essentially uncontrolled reopening of schools.

Fortunately, no hospitalisations out of all that - but its when those carriers transfer to the generation above that (grandparents or elderly parents) that things become problematic.

[and at this point I'm fairly sure the virus has mutated to a lower lethality]
i usse an speelchekor

thewobbler

Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2020, 03:56:55 PM
I was talking to two people involved in looking after patients, over the weekend. Both experienced practitioners with a combined 50-ish years working in nursing homes and intensive care, and fairly high up the ladder in their respective areas.

I was asking them about masks and they had total polar opposite views on their effectiveness in terms of the public wearing them.

That's sorta mad.

What's sorta mad is that that people have convinced themselves that there are no potential downsides to wearing a mask.

They might well be right. But they can't know for sure.