Kielty getting rave reviews for his performance in A Night in November

Started by T Fearon, August 09, 2007, 10:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 17, 2007, 10:51:24 AM
Quote from: MW on August 17, 2007, 10:44:07 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on August 17, 2007, 10:26:30 AM
How is this play outdated? Didn't Ballymena United supporters chant "You're just a team full of fenians" at Windsor Park last Saturday?

That's a matter of heated debate (i.e. David Jeffrey appears to be the only one who heard this chant), rather than being established fact.

And as you well know the play's outdated because the sort of sectarian singing evident in November 93 has years ago now not been present at NI matches.

If the real Ireland team was to play at Windsor Park tomorrow does anyone seriously think there would be a dimunition of the hatred and vitriol?

We'll see, the real Ireland team is playing at Windsor next Wednesday 8)

Is that an admission that the events as described in the play did infact happen (obviously with some poetic licence)??

Has anyone denied there was sectarian singing at that match? I certainly haven't, far from it, I've been clear that it did take place.

However for a reviewier to come away thinking there were "stadium-wide chants of Trick or Treat" and "Greysteel 7 Ireland 0" is extremely shoody on Ms Jones's part - I certainly never heard the first chant (and no-one else I've ever talked to who was at the match did either), and I don't even thnk anyone's actually claimed the second really took place.

MW

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 17, 2007, 11:00:25 AM
Quote from: MW on August 17, 2007, 10:44:07 AM
And as you well know the play's outdated because the sort of sectarian singing evident in November 93 has years ago now not been present at NI matches.

Why all the talk about the play being outdated??
The play is set in 1993 is it not? Its not claiming to be based on the present day.
I dont see that as being an issue at all.

I dont think the year the play is set should be a factor. I went to see 12 angry men a few years back, and the year it was set didnt detract from a great play.

If someone wants to say what happened in the play is true and still happens, thats their issue.

The problem comes where an uniformed audience member makes the association "NI fans = Prod bigots" and fixes this in his or her head.

That's one of several problems I have with the concpet of the play. As I've said above, I'll get to a more comprehensive post on this.

Orior

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 17, 2007, 11:35:38 AM
QuoteWhy all the talk about the play being outdated??

That's true. Plays don't get updated to fit into modern life.

Otherwise we'd have The Playboy of the Western World set in amongst gangbangers in LA starring Jessica Alba as Pegeen Mike and Brad Pitt as Christy Mahon.

Hmmm. It also seems to the annual July 13th re-enactment of King Billy defeating King James is a bit outdated.

You'll have to come up with a better excuse than that MW.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

MW

Quote from: Orior on August 17, 2007, 01:01:14 PM

Otherwise we'd have The Playboy of the Western World set in amongst gangbangers in LA starring Jessica Alba as Pegeen Mike and Brad Pitt as Christy Mahon.

Hmmm. It also seems to the annual July 13th re-enactment of King Billy defeating King James is a bit outdated.

You'll have to come up with a better excuse than that MW.

Sorry? What?? ???

When have I ever used the fact the play is outdated" as an excuse? ??? ("excuse" for what exactly, anyway)

When have I said that is my problem with the play ???

MW

I've seen one or two Shakespearean plays updated into modern settings (and I believe Baz Luhrmann may have had some success with an idea not dissimilar to yours) but hey :P ;)

T Fearon

MW There were widespread reports from people who were in attendance, including a guy on David Dunseath's Talkback show the next day confirming that Trick or Treat chants actually happened.

Now how do you expect anyone to take the FFA campaign seriously or give it a modicum of credibility when you and the vast majority on OWC live in denial... denial that November 1993 happened, denial that Windsor Park hosted a Day of Orange and Unionist Culture, denial that Ballymena United supporters chanted You're just a team full of fenians. In the latter case David Jeffrey was there so he must have heard it.

MW

Quote from: T Fearon on August 17, 2007, 02:48:31 PM
MW There were widespread reports from people who were in attendance, including a guy on David Dunseath's Talkback show the next day confirming that Trick or Treat chants actually happened.

Someone claiming on Talkback that something happened doesn't mean it actually happened - for a good example of this, see your claim on Talkback after the Wales-NI game that NI fans had sung the Billy Boys as the Millennium Stadium - a claim based on tittle tattle on here which ONeill later admitted he was mistaken about, and which even you had to retract. We've also had the classic claim on Talkback that NI fans were singing "Sammy McIlroy's Protestant army" :D These 'Trick of Treat' chants certainly passed me by, as they did any other person I've ever spoken to who was at the match.

Now how do you expect anyone to take the FFA campaign seriously or give it a modicum of credibility when you and the vast majority on OWC live in denial... denial that November 1993 happened

What are you gibbering on about now? Am I supposed to be claiming that we went straight from October to December that year? ???

denial that Windsor Park hosted a Day of Orange and Unionist Culture

I think you'll find that you actually thanked me for my honesty in saying that I vaguely remembered some sort of event had taken place back in 1995 ::)

, denial that Ballymena United supporters chanted You're just a team full of fenians. In the latter case David Jeffrey was there so he must have heard it.

Funny how you accept the word of the Linfield manager as gospel when it suits you. The rest of the time it's "Linfield/IFA bigots" etc ::) I'm not denying anything. Umpteen fans who were at the match are saying it never happened

Chrisowc

Quote from: T Fearon on August 17, 2007, 02:48:31 PM
modicum of credibility

Quote from: MW on August 17, 2007, 03:11:30 PM
your claim on Talkback after the Wales-NI game that NI fans had sung the Billy Boys as the Millennium Stadium - a claim based on tittle tattle on here which ONeill later admitted he was mistaken about, and which even you had to retract. We've also had the classic claim on Talkback that NI fans were singing "Sammy McIlroy's Protestant army" :D These 'Trick of Treat' chants certainly passed me by, as they did any other person I've ever spoken to who was at the match.

What were you saying about modicum of credibility Tony  ::)

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

stiffler

Is there any word of this play making its way onto a bigger stage?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Main Street

T Fearon

A sweet sweet memory indeed.

I also reckon Hoddle's influence had a lot to do with that sweet strike. After all he was Mc Loughlin's manager at Swindon Town ;)

Main Street

Their paths never crossed.
McLoughlin's mentor at Swindon was Ossie Ardiles.

T Fearon

Oops old age playing  tricks! Never mind, the Spurs influence was written all over that wonder strike. As well as Ardiles didn't Micky Hazard partner Mc Loughlin in Swindon's midfield?

Main Street

Ardiles was not partnering McLoughlin at Swindon
Any real Spurs fan would know that Ossie's playing days were well over by then :)