Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Cardiff were bottom of the table when he took over in January. They were a mess and it was a surprise he took that job. They had off the field problems at the time too, with the previous manager and the owner.

Ole worked with United before as reserve manager for 3 years.

Boycey

Quote from: screenexile on December 19, 2018, 12:29:59 PM
Not quite sure what this is . . . he goes on an intellectual meander throughout the middle of it and the point he makes is good but I don't really know judge for yourselves!

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/ken-early-like-napoleon-mourinho-is-the-outsider-always-trying-to-prove-himself-1.3736207

Mourinhos gone, we don't care about him anymore

The king is dead, long live the king

seafoid

Quote from: Boycey on December 19, 2018, 11:47:46 AM
I'm beginning to rival seafoid for the auld links  :D but heres a decent piece from the BBC

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46604955

Even though it is a link, boycey, it is very good
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 19, 2018, 11:42:21 AM
I can see why they've gone with OGS, I have no idea what will happen and don't know a lot about the style of football he'll play but I'd take him all day long over Blanc.
Ole is just filling in like giggs did and the results will be mixed. if does well then he should be given it full time but I don't expect that to happen as Jose has left the season in a mess and too much to fix in a short space of time. I take it you haven't read up of watched much of Blanc teams going back to the time that he took unfashionable club to a French league title to how he was able to manage the huge egos at PSG. He is a more long term option and a type of manager that can get the club moving in the right direction IMO and his style of football will be far more pleasing on the eye than the last 3 full time United managers.

Mike Tyson

I can see why they've gone with OGS, I have no idea what will happen and don't know a lot about the style of football he'll play but I'd take him all day long over Blanc. I'm hoping to see to some good football the next 6 months as a minimum, top 4 is gone barring a miracle but we're still in 2 cup competitions so there's trophies to be won.

Spurs have no chance of winning the league in the next few years as they won't back Pochettino, the club's revenue will increase but that will be eaten up by debt repayments. Then you've the likes of Alderweireld who'll leave this summer and possibly Eriksen who's out of contract in 18 months. Pochettino will earn a lot more at OT and with transfers fee and wages will have the opportunity to attract a lot more players than Spurs are capable off;

City aren't even the biggest club in their own City and Liverpool have won one trophy in 13 years, was only last season United finished ahead of Liverpool. Revenue wise United are a mile ahead of the likes of Liverpool, United's turnover is £225m more than Liverpool's in the last annual accounts.

Define big?

As far as attracting players goes, the two clubs appear to have completely swapped positions from about 10 years ago. United think just throwing massive transfer fees and wages at decent players will pay off. I'm thinking the likes of City signing Robinho etc.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Mike Tyson on December 19, 2018, 01:03:20 PM
I can see why they've gone with OGS, I have no idea what will happen and don't know a lot about the style of football he'll play but I'd take him all day long over Blanc. I'm hoping to see to some good football the next 6 months as a minimum, top 4 is gone barring a miracle but we're still in 2 cup competitions so there's trophies to be won.

Spurs have no chance of winning the league in the next few years as they won't back Pochettino, the club's revenue will increase but that will be eaten up by debt repayments. Then you've the likes of Alderweireld who'll leave this summer and possibly Eriksen who's out of contract in 18 months. Pochettino will earn a lot more at OT and with transfers fee and wages will have the opportunity to attract a lot more players than Spurs are capable off;

City aren't even the biggest club in their own City and Liverpool have won one trophy in 13 years, was only last season United finished ahead of Liverpool. Revenue wise United are a mile ahead of the likes of Liverpool, United's turnover is £225m more than Liverpool's in the last annual accounts.

Define big?

As far as attracting players goes, the two clubs appear to have completely swapped positions from about 10 years ago. United think just throwing massive transfer fees and wages at decent players will pay off. I'm thinking the likes of City signing Robinho etc.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45158878 they couldn't even fill their smaller stadium in a record breaking season. 

Maroon Manc

Liverpool are easily the 2nd biggest club in England yet haven't won a championship in 28 years and have won one trophy in 13 years. United are gigantic in every department apart from results on the pitch this season.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 19, 2018, 01:34:08 PM
Liverpool are easily the 2nd biggest club in England yet haven't won a championship in 28 years and have won one trophy in 13 years. United are gigantic in every department apart from results on the pitch this season.

Yes it's a one season anomaly  ::)

Boycey

One season, five seasons whatever the song remains the same..

Boycey

The thought that enters my head the most today is that there are several players and a CEO or whatever the fcuk he is that have nowhere left to hide. The comfort blanket of blaming Mourinho has disappeared

It's put up or shut up time..

magpie seanie

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Boycey on December 19, 2018, 01:53:58 PM
The thought that enters my head the most today is that there are several players and a CEO or whatever the fcuk he is that have nowhere left to hide. The comfort blanket of blaming Mourinho has disappeared

A point made by Gary Neville last night. Players have no excuses now, if Mourinho was their issue.

Maroon Manc

Pogba has no excuse now and Sanchez is going to have to start performing unless they get rid of him. I'd be happy if United could do a swap deal with Perisic.

Bailly has looked good in recent weeks so will probably get a run in the side, don't know who'll partner him but would expect Dalot & Shaw to be 1st choice fullbacks. Matic has to improve drastically but think everyone deserves a chance to show OGS what they can do.

I'd probably go with

De Gea
Dalot
Bailly
Lindelof
Shaw
Matic
Fred
Pogba
Mata
Rashford
Martial

magpie seanie

I'd be shocked if the new regime doesn't get an improvement. Solskjaer is a legend at United and is a known quantity to the staff and most of the players at the club. Phelan was a very respected coach for the last years of Fergie's time (big mistake by Moyes to drop him in my opinion). They'll not be found wanting for effort, passion or respect for the traditions of the club which is a huge leap forward. How big of an improvement we can reasonably expect - who knows? There is precedent though of clubs being out of league contention performing well in European knock out competition so I'd hope for that, even with the hard draw.

Look - I'm excited about the team for the first time in a while. Might be misplaced but at least in my view there's a little hope.

TabClear

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 19, 2018, 02:06:08 PM

Pogba has no excuse now and Sanchez is going to have to start performing unless they get rid of him. I'd be happy if United could do a swap deal with Perisic.

Bailly has looked good in recent weeks so will probably get a run in the side, don't know who'll partner him but would expect Dalot & Shaw to be 1st choice fullbacks. Matic has to improve drastically but think everyone deserves a chance to show OGS what they can do.

I'd probably go with

De Gea
Dalot
Bailly
Lindelof
Shaw
Matic
Fred
Pogba
Mata
Rashford
Martial

Replace Lindehof with Koulibaly and the likes of Rabiot in for Matic/Fred and there is not much wrong with that team, especially if Lukaku/Sanchez start performing at somewhere near the level they should be at.