Ibrahim Halawa

Started by Eamonnca1, October 24, 2017, 06:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: sid waddell on October 25, 2017, 08:00:38 PM
So anybody who went to Belfast or Derry in 1972 would have brought it on themselves had they been locked up for no reason by the Brits, or murdered, yes?

That's different. Their skin is white and they have names that sound like my own. Stop playing the race card! Stop oppressing me!!!! Everybody's picking on me for being a racist and it's not fair!

foxcommander

Quote from: whitey on October 25, 2017, 07:57:10 PM
He went to an active war zone and participated in political demonstrations in spite of the fact hundreds of people had been killed by the army in the preceding 12 months

He ignored a warning from the Irish government not to travel

He brought it on himself and he deserved everything that happened to him (and more)
So anybody who went to Belfast or Derry in 1972 would have brought it on themselves had they been locked up for no reason by the Brits, or murdered, yes?

I'd be very impressed if anyone travelled 3800 miles to protest in Derry in 1972. Do you know anyone who did so?

Ibraim Halawa was guilty. If you say he was a child then perhaps his parents should have been keeping a closer eye on him rather than let him go riot in a foreign country.

Or maybe I wasn't aware the irish population had a stake in the future of egypt. A little different to the northern situation no?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

sid waddell

Quote from: foxcommander on October 25, 2017, 08:17:24 PM
He went to an active war zone and participated in political demonstrations in spite of the fact hundreds of people had been killed by the army in the preceding 12 months

He brought it on himself and he deserved everything that happened to him (and more)

I'd be very impressed if anyone travelled 3800 miles to protest in Derry in 1972. Do you know anyone who did so?

Why would they have had to travel 3,800 miles?

They could have travelled 10 miles from Buncrana, and they'd have been entering a "war zone". 

And according to the flawless logic of yourself and whitey, they'd have been to blame had they been locked up or shot.

whitey

If a citizen of a foreign country travelled 2500 miles to Derry on the passport of that foreign country blatantly ignoring dire warnings from their own government not to travel, I would also say that he/she brought it in themselves if they were lifted

sid waddell

Quote from: whitey on October 25, 2017, 08:20:55 PM

If a citizen of a foreign country travelled 2500 miles to Derry on the passport of that foreign country blatantly ignoring warnings not to travel, I would also say that he/she brought it in themselves if they were lifted
This is interesting!

Apparently distance travelled is now a factor in whether somebody being locked up is justified or not!

I wasn't aware air travel had become a crime.

When did this happen, could you tell me?

sid waddell

What's "more"?

Torture? Rape? Death?

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on October 25, 2017, 08:27:23 PM

If a citizen of a foreign country travelled 2500 miles to Derry on the passport of that foreign country blatantly ignoring warnings not to travel, I would also say that he/she brought it in themselves if they were lifted
This is interesting!

Apparently distance travelled is now a factor in whether somebody being locked up is justified or not!

Distance travels implies intent.....ie they just didn't happen to accidentally stumble from Firhouse into Cairo (like they might have stumbled into Tallaght)

If I

sid waddell

Quote from: whitey on October 25, 2017, 08:33:17 PM

This is interesting!

Distance travels implies intent.....ie they just didn't happen to accidentally stumble from Firhouse into Cairo (like they might have stumbled into Tallaght)

If I
Distance travelled implies nothing except that you've travelled a distance and have probably been on an aeroplane.

I mean, Manuela Riedo travelled 1,000 miles from Switzerland a day or two before her death.

Presumably you think that implies intent to be raped and murdered.

give her dixie

The day before Ibrahim was arrested I posted this video in the "Middle East landscape rapidly changing" thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Mnm9neSLc&sns=tw

It showed in graphic and bloody detail the brutality been handed down by the military who had taken power in a coup.

The following day I was watching the news and details started to emerge about a group of people who were taking refuge
in a Mosque and were under attack from the military and their thugs.  Live coverage started to come from the Mosque,
and it was Ibrahims sister giving a running commentary.

I posted about it at the time as it was unfolding here:

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=18356.510

Over the following days, weeks months and then years, I followed his case. It was a horrible case, and at one stage he went
on hunger strike to protest his innocence. Then thankfully yesterday he finally arrived home to a fantastic reception.

He was a 17 year old lad when arrested, and is now a 21 year old man with 4 brutal years in a hell hole to deal with.
He never should have been arrested and held as long as he was, but thanks to a lot of hard work by many, he is now free,
and as innocent as the day he was arrested.

The comments on here and in many social media posts over the past couple of weeks since it was announced he was to be freed
are disgusting. Ibrahim was born in Ireland and he is as Irish as anyone else born here. Yet, due to his colour and faith,
people fail to see him as Irish. Have people forgotten how many innocent Irish people were imprisoned because of their nationality or religion?  Has the cow forgotten it was a calf?
One thing is for sure, Racism is alive, well, and thriving here in many guises. The remarks about Ibrahim confirm this.

Those who say he never should have been there and he never should have been protesting, are the same people who do nothing when they see injustice. They sit in the comfort of their homes and all they can do is criticise those who take a stand. Ibrahim and his sisters have more courage in their little fingers than those who have been criticising them.

I followed closely what was going on in Egypt at that time, and I for one am very proud of my Irish brother and sisters who
took a peaceful stand against not only a brutal dictator, but against all the other state actors who backed Sisi and his bloody coup.

Welcome home Ibrahim, and may you recover in time from your horrific ordeal.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on October 25, 2017, 08:38:22 PM

This is interesting!

If I
Distance travelled implies nothing except that you've travelled a distance and have probably been on an aeroplane.

I mean, Manuela Riedo travelled 1,000 miles from Switzerland a day or two before her death.

The false narrative you're pushing us that somehow an innocent holidaymaker accidentally got caught up in a situation not if their making.  In my opinion that's simply untrue. He knew exactly where he was going and what he was going to do once he got there.  He ignored warnings issued by his own government and for all intents and purposes entered a war zone

Eamonnca1

Quote from: sid waddell on October 25, 2017, 08:29:27 PM

What's "more"?

Torture? Rape? Death?

He was already beaten in prison. And he coulda faced the death penalty.

sid waddell

Quote from: whitey on October 25, 2017, 09:27:06 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 25, 2017, 08:38:22 PM

This is interesting!

If I

The false narrative you're pushing us that somehow an innocent holidaymaker accidentally got caught up in a situation not if their making.  In my opinion that's simply untrue. He knew exactly where he was going and what he was going to do once he got there.  He ignored warnings issued by his own government and for all intents and purposes entered a war zone
I'm not pushing any false narrative, you are.

The fact is that an entirely innocent Irish minor, now a man, was unjustly incarcerated for over four years.

It's cut and dried.

Yet you are performing any amount of mental gymnastics to justify his incarceration, torture and potential death sentence. You say "he brought it on himself" and "deserved everything he got and more".

Again, it's pretty obvious to rational people why you're doing that.

Eamonnca1

The false narrative you're pushing us that somehow an innocent holidaymaker accidentally got caught up in a situation not if their making. In my opinion that's simply untrue. He knew exactly where he was going and what he was going to do once he got there.  He ignored warnings issued by his own government and for all intents and purposes entered a war zone

Why do you think it's untrue? What do you know that the court did not? The court in Egypt thought he was innocent but the court of your racist imagination thinks he's guilty. You expect us to believe that it's got nothing to do with race?

whitey

Where did I ever state he was guilty of anything

I stated that he only had himself to blame for getting lifted and thrown in the slammer.

Of course the charges were trumped up.... it's a military dictatorship... that's why you don't let your children go on "holidays" to such places

Eamonnca1

Quote from: whitey on October 25, 2017, 10:08:01 PM
Where did I ever state he was guilty of anything

Around here:

The false narrative you're pushing us that somehow an innocent holidaymaker accidentally got caught up in a situation not if their making.  In my opinion that's simply untrue.