Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football

Started by APM, October 02, 2018, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

The 3 handpass rule and the kickout having to go by the 45 both encourages teams to filter lots of people back.

It's mindboggling, given that what "most people" give out about is caused by the blanket defences. And again, the media seem to ignore all the exciting games and highlight the bad ones.

Personally, I've no problem with teams lining up in whatever manner they want. The ultra defensive systems simply don't work (or very rarely work) when you play a decent team that is playing with brains.

The offensive mark is very interesting. And definitely will be bad for the Dubs given we've no full back and just play corner backs who are good tacklers/defenders without being strong fielders.  Could be a game changer.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Hound on November 09, 2018, 10:08:18 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on November 09, 2018, 09:59:13 AM
The people who proposed this probably got their ideas from one of the regular threads on here pontificating that we need to "DO SOMETHING".

Most of their proposals have been proposed on here at some stage, and many of them in multple threads.

Is there any other sport that introduces as many rule changes and trials as Gaelic football?

Too many football moaners in the media, too many people listening to them and too many sheep following.

Whereas in the hurling all you hear is about how great it is.

You have an absolutely dreadful standard in the All Ireland hurling final. 40 feckin wides. Forty! Nobody could even keep count of the number of turnovers through bad passes. Limerick didn't put the ball over the bar for a 30 minute spell in the second half, and still managed to win because Galway were absolute shite, up until taking their fingers out of their holes in injury time.

But all we got was hurling is brilliant.

Well said. One of the worst finals in a long time.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Is there any other sport that introduces as many rule changes and trials as Gaelic football?
The AFL are concerned about some aspects of their game especially possession and bunching.
They are looking at some changes too to alleviate these.
The fact that people here and HQ are suggesting changes is a sure indication all is not well with the game at present.

As for the proposed changes I hear some " tidying" of the Sin bin will take place before CC considers the changes.
One change I'd love to see is an end to "throw points" >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

Quote from: Rossfan on November 09, 2018, 11:53:52 AM

The AFL are concerned about some aspects of their game especially possession and bunching.
The fact that people here and HQ are suggesting changes is a sure indication all is not well with the game at present.

As for the proposed changes I hear some " tidying" of the Sin bin will take place before CC considers the changes.

To be honest, I don't think it's a case of some people don't want changes, I think it's a case of some of these ideas are stupid and have been thought up by a couple of people down the pub, scribbled on the back of a fag packet and are now within a whisker of being seriously considered.

I'm up for a sensible discussion over a period of time with any changes robustly trialled and tested. Golf for example has undertaken this process and is introducing changes in 2019.
I'm not up for stupid ideas like, numbers of players in certain areas or shot clocks. These are the ideas of people who are confused and have no understanding of field sports or indeed Gaelic football.

sligoman2

The people who proposed this probably got their ideas from one of the regular threads on here pontificating that we need to "DO SOMETHING".

Most of their proposals have been proposed on here at some stage, and many of them in multple threads.

Too many football moaners in the media, too many people listening to them and too many sheep following.

You have an absolutely dreadful standard in the All Ireland hurling final. 40 feckin wides. Forty! Nobody could even keep count of the number of turnovers through bad passes. Limerick didn't put the ball over the bar for a 30 minute spell in the second half, and still managed to win because Galway were absolute shite, up until taking their fingers out of their holes in injury time.

When people like me turn off the tv at half time because I can't watch it anymore then I know there is something wrong.  Football has been overtaken by strategy, analysis and planning.  I understand why managers do this because if you don't you lose but the sport has become almost unwatchable.  So you can bury your head in the sand and say all is well or you can try to address the issues that are turning people like me away from the game.
I think Kildare v Mayo was the only game I really enjoyed last year..
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Rossfan

For the first time ever I left the house to attend to other matters 15 minutes into the 2nd half of this years All Ireland.
I seldom watch live games now till into the 2nd half -if they're close I'll watch the remainder.
I've paid in as a neutral to about 3 County games in the last 4 years.
One time I'd go to 4 or 5 in one year.

Blowitupref

Quote from: sligoman2 on November 09, 2018, 12:41:40 PM

When people like me turn off the tv at half time because I can't watch it anymore then I know there is something wrong.  Football has been overtaken by strategy, analysis and planning.  I understand why managers do this because if you don't you lose but the sport has become almost unwatchable.  So you can bury your head in the sand and say all is well or you can try to address the issues that are turning people like me away from the game.
I think Kildare v Mayo was the only game I really enjoyed last year..

Did you watch any of

Kildare v Galway
Roscommon v Armagh
Monaghan v Kerry
Donegal v Tyrone
Monaghan v Tyrone

As i thought all those games along with Kildare v Mayo was enjoyable games to watch.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Keyser soze

Quote from: Rossfan on November 09, 2018, 11:53:52 AM

Sure, I know that every sport tweaks its rules, formats etc on an ongoing basis, but for as long as I can remember there has been a constant barrage of tinkering with formats, playing rules etc in GAA. It is a never ending process of change change change and where has it got us??

It appears from the media, and indeed this board, that we are at the to the stage where people are talking about the demise of Gaelic football despite there being an constant stream of changes to playing rules over the past 25+ years.

There is a constant clamour for change ... change this... change that .. change the other... and everyone has an opinion and a suggestion about what needs to be done to make the game perfect. I don't think I have ever seen a poster or pundit who has made a suggestion to amend rules who has given a single line of consideration to the down side of the changes they might propose, everyone only sees the merit in their own proposal. Maybe they need to re examine some of the changes already made which have contributed to the situation we are in now instead of mooting further changes to alleviate problems caused by previously introduced rules.

The latest proposals from this working group could have been formulated by any schoolboy reading this forum for a couple of weeks. And these are the people who are supposed to the Brains Trust of our organisation.

Rossfan

Jases Keyzer you've some paranoia about change ;D
Anyway anyone with half a brain would want something done about the abomination that is throwball.
That and the non stop possession borefest are the main (interlinked) problems.
We want more contests for possession and the ball in play more.
Will the current proposals give us this though?

Keyser soze

Quote from: Rossfan on November 09, 2018, 03:07:08 PM
Jases Keyzer you've some paranoia about change ;D
Anyway anyone with half a brain would want something done about the abomination that is throwball.
That and the non stop possession borefest are the main (interlinked) problems.
We want more contests for possession and the ball in play more.
Will the current proposals give us this though?

Are you out to get me  ;D

Esmarelda

If only there was someone with "half a brain".

Some people like players driving the ball long, one on on battles, high fielding and loads of shooting. Others aren't as put off by a possession-based game as the first group and are happy to let the game evolve. I find myself in the latter group.

The defensive teams are beginning to realise that it's a futile exercise unless they are admitting defeat and want to keep the score down.

I'm not against change but some of these are beyond belief. I thought with time and conversation I'd see the point of some of them, but alas no.

five points

The GAA is now a confederation of meddlers, and unfortunately a civil service mentality has now taken a grip at all levels, from clubs to counties to Croke Park. No surprise really that people are getting disillusioned and are walking away.

Rossfan

Could that rant be translated to English or Gaeilge le do thoil?

five points

trailer

Ironically the best change they could make would be to tier the Championship. The weaker teams play these keep ball systems in order to frustrate the more talented teams. But that would be too much sense. Better to make players kick the ball and if they don't kick it we'll take the ball off them and let the other team kick it back to them until someone kicks it over the bar.