Wrightbus

Started by Hereiam, November 27, 2014, 08:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 26, 2019, 02:51:13 PM
Quote from: StephenC on September 26, 2019, 01:03:37 PM
Quote from: The Wedger on September 26, 2019, 11:51:58 AM
In a future United Ireland we will be taking on a ever increasing pool of unemployed and probably unemployable Loyalists who used to have it good but are now very disenfranchised.

Won't the protestant work-ethic be a factor too? Genuinely, when I was growing up there was a culture and a tradition of hard work that was sometimes joked about, but in reality was envied, by the catholic community.
Not it the shipyard where most of them wouldn't work on a battery

That's my experience as well, probably no different than anywhere else to be fair.

The protestant work ethic was generally used to convey that catholics were lazy.

playwiththewind1st

At least we're going to heaven.

trailer

Protestants love to wash their cars. Catholics prefer to get them washed. A fundamental difference that says everything.

omaghjoe

Never understood how the whole double predestination thing lead to the protestant work ethic. If anything you'd think that they'd be a bunch of feckless hoors instead of the Catholics who have the freewill to do what they want and are judged on their performance.

charlieTully

Quote from: trailer on September 26, 2019, 03:36:42 PM
Protestants love to wash their cars. Catholics prefer to get them washed. A fundamental difference that says everything.

Started a reply thought better of it.....

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnnycool on September 26, 2019, 03:05:36 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 26, 2019, 02:51:13 PM
Quote from: StephenC on September 26, 2019, 01:03:37 PM
Quote from: The Wedger on September 26, 2019, 11:51:58 AM
In a future United Ireland we will be taking on a ever increasing pool of unemployed and probably unemployable Loyalists who used to have it good but are now very disenfranchised.

Won't the protestant work-ethic be a factor too? Genuinely, when I was growing up there was a culture and a tradition of hard work that was sometimes joked about, but in reality was envied, by the catholic community.
Not it the shipyard where most of them wouldn't work on a battery

That's my experience as well, probably no different than anywhere else to be fair.

The protestant work ethic was generally used to convey that catholics were lazy.
There are hard workers and lazy scrounging bastards on all sides.

Rossfan

Quote from: trailer on September 26, 2019, 03:36:42 PM
Can't ye just lave them out in the rain?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

playwiththewind1st

Rossfan

Ball Hopper

Statues...the Catholics prefer statues.

playwiththewind1st

Preferably statues that do various 'tricks', so that you can make a few bob out of the spectacle.

Just when the poor buggers thought it couldn't get any worse, Ballymena United are going to let them in for free this Saturday.  Wonder if that's anything to do with fact that Cliftonville are the opposition?

quit yo jibbajabba

As if they havent suffered enough...  ;D

paddyjohn

The workforce from Wright's were mostly Protestants because they were offering silly money on apprenticeships to 16 years olds. It was expected if you left one of the local High Schools that you'd end up there. Wrights went hand in hand with the ethos of Protestant jobs for Protestant people.  I know of a catholic supplier who had a sales rep calling once a week. The rep ended up calling the police on one visit as he feared for his own safety. A few catholic lads I know ending up working in NuTrack which was based in Antrim Town, they were getting paid over £1700 for being store men. The bonus was off the scale, all because they were Catholics.

under the bar

All the while Wrightbus was going down the tubes Junior was too busy knobbing the little penguin to realise his party's Brexit strategy was destroying manufacturing in his heartland. Just like BJ he will ride it out blaming fenian-inspired anti-brexiteers!

Rossfan

Saw a bit of Bozo being interviewed on 6 Co BBC.
Apparently everything is wonderful in the North, exports booming etc and he'll make it better after Brexit.
So presumably the former Wright workers will all walk into new jobs next week then!