2019 USFC SF Dún na nGall vs Tír Eoghain, Breffni, Saturday 8th June @5pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, May 26, 2019, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Also Connolly is now gone and not through his own making it would appear.

Any which way it's about McCann (Cooper isn't great and I forgot about him) but there is an awful lot of excusing being done here.

I do condemn but is not really a condemnation...

Angelo

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 11, 2019, 04:26:31 PM
Wouldn't it be great if some posters could just accept their player was wrong any time one of them committed an unacceptable act and then did not engage in endless, mind numbing whataboutery.

We are all intelligent enough to see every incident for what it is without acres of any thread taken up with quote after quote of attempted justification of the unjustifiable and endless attempts at point scoring or ad hominem attacks.

Whataboutery bis important in terms of balance.

Some people don't want balance.

McCann did wrong, not many Tyrone supporters here will deny or excuse that but not for the first time it feels like Tyrone and a Tyrone player has been made the fall guy for a wider issue.

Was Jim Gavin ever asked to come out and condemn the actions of a Dublin player?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 11, 2019, 04:22:31 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 11, 2019, 03:40:16 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 11, 2019, 02:47:11 PM
I don't think there would be at all. I'm not from either place.

You probably don't think so because they are rarely highlighted.

In Jim Gavin's tenure, Dublin have been involved in:

2 biting allegations ( O'Brien and O'Gara)
A mass brawl behind a closed door challenge match (Armagh)
2 gouging incidents (O'Gara and McMahon)
2 incidents of simulation to get a player sent off (Cooper on McManus, McMahon on O'Shea)
Cooper leaving his foot in Diarmuid O'Connor was as malicious an act I've seen on a football field in years too
Connolly shoving a match official
Various other incidents of cynically closing matches out by instigating mini brawls

Among other indiscretions.

I don't think Dublin are a particularly dirty team but they are well equipped in the dark arts, thuggery and violence. Most of these matters are generally glossed over though and never held against them.

But the inconsistent reporting and narrative around different teams engaging in similar acts does tend to have an impact on the way teams are portrayed.

From a Tyrone perspective if you look at how we are perceived and how McCann has been vilified, there may be merit to it. When you look at how we are perceived and McCann is portrayed in relation to the actions of other counties and their players then we are certainly entitled to draw grievances.

Would anyone ever suggest Jim Gavin sends his players out to bite, dive, and gouge their opponents? Would anyone suggest he sends his players out to physically interfere with match officials?

Connolly hardly shoved the match official and there was a hell of a lot of condemnation of him especially from the Sunday game.

I thought the furore only Connolly was over the top but it didn't stick with Dublin. Different narratives for different teams.

Dire Ear

Wouldn't it be great if some posters could just accept their player was wrong any time one of them committed an unacceptable act and then did not engage in endless, mind numbing whataboutery.

We are all intelligent enough to see every incident for what it is without acres of any thread taken up with quote after quote of attempted justification of the unjustifiable and endless attempts at point scoring or ad hominem attacks.
You're very bitter against Tyrone,  what happened?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Angelo on June 11, 2019, 04:50:59 PM

2 incidents of simulation to get a player sent off (Cooper on McManus, McMahon on O'Shea)
Cooper leaving his foot in Diarmuid O'Connor was as malicious an act I've seen on a football field in years too
Various other incidents of cynically closing matches out by instigating mini brawls

I don't think Dublin are a particularly dirty team but they are well equipped in the dark arts, thuggery and violence. Most of these matters are generally glossed over though and never held against them.

But the inconsistent reporting and narrative around different teams engaging in similar acts does tend to have an impact on the way teams are portrayed.

From a Tyrone perspective if you look at how we are perceived and how McCann has been vilified, there may be merit to it. When you look at how we are perceived and McCann is portrayed in relation to the actions of other counties and their players then we are certainly entitled to draw grievances.

Would anyone ever suggest Jim Gavin sends his players out to bite, dive, and gouge their opponents? Would anyone suggest he sends his players out to physically interfere with match officials?

Connolly hardly shoved the match official and there was a hell of a lot of condemnation of him especially from the Sunday game.

I thought the furore only Connolly was over the top but it didn't stick with Dublin. Different narratives for different teams.

He doesn't play for them any more?

omaghjoe

in other words..... "think how I tell you to think"......

Begs the question tho if you find it all mind numbing why keep coming back for more?

dublin7

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 11, 2019, 06:37:47 PM

Begs the question tho if you find it all mind numbing why keep coming back for more?
To be fair it's amazing how McCann is somehow now being considered a victim in all this . Tiernan must be used to to all the negative attention now though. This is not the 1st time he's been down this road. His defenders keep saying he's not that type of player. The no of shall we say incidents he's been involved in over the years would make you question their opinion.

tonto1888

He got a 12 week ban ffs.

tonto1888

Quote from: dublin7 on June 11, 2019, 07:23:26 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 11, 2019, 06:37:47 PM

To be fair it's amazing how McCann is somehow now being considered a victim in all this . Tiernan must be used to to all the negative attention now though. This is not the 1st time he's been down this road. His defenders keep saying he's not that type of player. The no of shall we say incidents he's been involved in over the years would make you question their opinion.

Apart from hairgate what other incidents?

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 11, 2019, 08:32:12 PM

He got a 12 week ban ffs.

It wasn't used as a stick to beat Dublin with the next time they transgressed. No bad smells there.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Angelo on June 11, 2019, 04:49:45 PM

Thank you, you make my point for me.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Dire Ear on June 11, 2019, 04:58:56 PM

My attitude to Tyrone has not changed.

This post is not about Tyrone, it is equally applicable to all those engaged in whataboutery regarding unacceptable behaviour of players, mostly in this thread some Tyrone and Dublin posters and the battling posts being used to justify one action by pointing out another was as bad or worse.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 11, 2019, 09:35:10 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 11, 2019, 04:49:45 PM

Thank you, you make my point for me.

In other words..... "thats a good point but I ill play to the gallery cos I cant argue against it" 
::)
very mature

omaghjoe

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 11, 2019, 09:52:23 PM

This post is not about Tyrone, it is equally applicable to all those engaged in whataboutery regarding unacceptable behaviour of players, mostly in this thread some Tyrone and Dublin posters and the battling posts being used to justify one action by pointing out another was as bad or worse.

Your attitude to Tyrone has not changed since when exactly? 2003 & 2005 make no difference at all  ;)

Anyway...
How can you gauge the level of "badness" of an incident on a football field if you dont compare it to other incidents? Its the basis of law and science

Following your subjective (or anyone else's) perception of an event is far more flawed, and your indignation that people dont do so smacks of arrogance

Angelo

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 11, 2019, 09:52:23 PM

Only in your head is justification happening.

What McCann did was wrong, indefensibe - I'm having to repeat myself again as you're ignoring what's in front of you.

There is another aspect here though, many other players have done the wrong and indefensibe, some of them are repeat offenders but depending of the jersey they wear seems to decide whether they are vilified or not for those actions.

You call it whataboutery, I call it balance.