Started by Dinny Breen, August 13, 2018, 02:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 16, 2018, 10:38:29 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2018, 09:50:02 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 15, 2018, 09:26:06 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 14, 2018, 06:13:13 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 02:55:58 PM
It must be hard to count steps and advantage seconds at the same time.

Multi tasking! Women are good at that

MR, Ticklemaster, any other referees on here,
   Do you reset the step count when playing an advantage after someone is fouled?

Not a trick question, just wondering.

I don't but I can see why it happens, if someone is fouled and I raise my arm for advantage I call it back to the original spot or if the player is again fouled before the 5 seconds are up I restart the advantage rule but by the same token the player can't foul the ball... At this point though you will bring on a heap of shit on you that you don't need, play advantage, if there is none just bring it back. Can you imagine if you raise the arm for advantage and then give a foul against player?

I agree with you, but that is the rule isnt it?
At the same time a player cant get away with unlimited steps just because there is an advantage being played.Its still a wee bit of a grey are and open to interpretation by the referee

It's not a grey area or open to interpretation. If a player takes too many steps its a technical foul and he should be penalised unless he's due an advantage from being fouled in the build-up. Nowhere in the rulebook does it state "you can take ten steps if you're sorta half being fouled or pulled about".

It started about ten years ago when Sean Cavanagh rounded Rory O'Carrol to score a goal v Dublin. Now it's taken hold in Gaelic football and no-one calls it a foul when it should be (refs and commentators alike). It's one of my big bugbears.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: trileacman on August 16, 2018, 10:59:58 AM

I don't but I can see why it happens, if someone is fouled and I raise my arm for advantage I call it back to the original spot or if the player is again fouled before the 5 seconds are up I restart the advantage rule but by the same token the player can't foul the ball... At this point though you will bring on a heap of shit on you that you don't need, play advantage, if there is none just bring it back. Can you imagine if you raise the arm for advantage and then give a foul against player?

At the same time a player cant get away with unlimited steps just because there is an advantage being played.Its still a wee bit of a grey are and open to interpretation by the referee

It's not a grey area or open to interpretation. If a player takes too many steps its a technical foul and he should be penalised unless he's due an advantage from being fouled in the build-up. Nowhere in the rulebook does it state "you can take ten steps if you're sorta half being fouled or pulled about".

It started about ten years ago when Sean Cavanagh rounded Rory O'Carrol to score a goal v Dublin. Now it's taken hold in Gaelic football and no-one calls it a foul when it should be (refs and commentators alike). It's one of my big bugbears.
What i mean is,rightly or wrongly,  it often is open to a referees own interpretation of this rule.
It regularly happens , and you rarely see a player being pulled back for a technical foul when the advantage is being played
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Milltown Row2

So the simple solution is to just give the advantage and call it back, before he takes more steps... the more steps non 'rule' is something thats been left over from before the 5 seconds advantage rule came into play.. referees did allow another few steps if they believed the player was being hauled back unfairly.. there now has to be a clear cut call, there really isnt a grey area..

My only problem with the advantage rule is players/managers 5 seconds are different to the referee's  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rosnarun

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 16, 2018, 11:02:54 AM

What i mean is,rightly or wrongly,  it often is open to a referees own interpretation of this rule.
It regularly happens , and you rarely see a player being pulled back for a technical foul when the advantage is being played
I think peple are confusing 'open to refs interpretation' with 'the ref making a mistake'
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rosnarun on August 16, 2018, 01:57:06 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 16, 2018, 11:02:54 AM

I think peple are confusing 'open to refs interpretation' with 'the ref making a mistake'

Or a player making a mistake or manager or even a supporter who thinks he knows the rules... Ref's are just like players they have good games and they have a bad game.. move on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trileacman

Refs decisions annoy me at times but I know in my heart after a game I'd make a greater dogs dinner of reffing if I was in the middle. For example I thought Joe Mc quillan got everything wrong in the Donegal game but if you look objectively at it he got very little wrong. The supposed 3 instances of double hops were missed by me and the crowd around me at the match, It was also obviously missed by the 7 officials who were watching the match, not just Mc quillan.

I think we're awful smart arses in hindsight
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: redzone on August 16, 2018, 07:48:51 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on August 15, 2018, 03:29:11 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on August 15, 2018, 01:35:31 PM
Ok refs,  did the ref ride Monaghan v Tyrone??  Cheers

yip

Here is the problem with refs. Anybody can pick a whistle up

Here is the problem - anyone can sit on a keyboard.  Bit harder controlling 30 players & the mentors.  Go try it yourself,  instead of spouting.

straightred

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on August 18, 2018, 07:57:47 PM
Quote from: redzone on August 16, 2018, 07:48:51 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on August 15, 2018, 03:29:11 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on August 15, 2018, 01:35:31 PM
Ok refs,  did the ref ride Monaghan v Tyrone??  Cheers

yip

Here is the problem with refs. Anybody can pick a whistle up

Here is the problem - anyone can sit on a keyboard.  Bit harder controlling 30 players & the mentors.  Go try it yourself,  instead of spouting.
If only it were that simple. No one here is claiming they would do better. The issue, for me anyway, is that we have refs getting top level games and they aren't up to it. Nolan was really poor on Sunday but that in itself was no huge surprise. He should never have got an AI semi final

playwiththewind1st

I didn't see the game, so I am not going to comment. But...given that refs rise up through their county to provincial & national level...then what is your solution? Presumably if a referee isn't up to it, they shouldn't advance? Those that do advance have been scrutinised numerous times & are deemed to be more than satisfactory?

straightred

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on August 18, 2018, 09:42:43 PM
I didn't see the game, so I am not going to comment. But...given that refs rise up through their county to provincial & national level...then what is your solution? Presumably if a referee isn't up to it, they shouldn't advance? Those that do advance have been scrutinised numerous times & are deemed to be more than satisfactory?
There was pretty much universal agreement here last week that he was very poor. What we didn't agree on was who his ineptitude benefited the most (for what its worth I thought he was worth a minimum of 2 points to tyrone and possibly as many as 4).
The very fact that he made it this far is deeply concerning. Its not like this is his first bad day at the office. As you say yourself refs rise up though through their counties and provinces. I refuse to accept that he should be at the top tier. The people that are doing the scrutinising need a bit of scrutinising themselves.

redzone

What some of the  easy frees he gave to Monaghan that led to scores  straightred. Why have you not mentioned them. You are making a fool of yourself at this stage

Milltown Row2

Quote from: straightred on August 19, 2018, 12:03:34 AM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on August 18, 2018, 09:42:43 PM
There was pretty much universal agreement here last week that he was very poor. What we didn't agree on was who his ineptitude benefited the most (for what its worth I thought he was worth a minimum of 2 points to tyrone and possibly as many as 4).
The very fact that he made it this far is deeply concerning. Its not like this is his first bad day at the office. As you say yourself refs rise up though through their counties and provinces. I refuse to accept that he should be at the top tier. The people that are doing the scrutinising need a bit of scrutinising themselves.

Sign up, I'm sure if you're good enough you'll rise through the system and be able to talk shite at a level worth listening to. Until then ..

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on August 19, 2018, 11:13:55 PM
Harsh from The Sunday Game here.
Awards for the best things players have done.
Then, worst decisions officials have made.

Unless they have "Player who made a dick of himself" at the end.

It would be considered inappropriate to have a section for players who dropped the ball, hit a ridiculous wide, completely missed a tackle. But it is OK for referees.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B