Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

gallsman

Don't know what your problem is, Sid. Sure to half the lads on here, there wouldn't be anything racist or homophobic about that post at all.

sid waddell

This article by Diarmuid Ferriter should be compulsory reading.

The Pro Life Campaign's definition of love is cruel
Diarmaid Ferriter: It is a strange kind of love that denies a teenage rape victim an abortion

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/the-pro-life-campaign-s-definition-of-love-is-cruel-1.3468389

sid waddell

Quote from: gallsman on May 14, 2018, 01:50:22 PM
Don't know what your problem is, Sid. Sure to half the lads on here, there wouldn't be anything racist or homophobic about that post at all.
Apparently those views are very "mainstream" now in the age of the hipster fascist.

Baile an tuaigh

Isn't it irony those who vote for abortion have already been born.

gallsman

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on May 14, 2018, 02:45:46 PM
Isn't it irony those who vote for abortion have already been born.

No. Not at all.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 01:28:39 PM
Quote from: whitey on May 14, 2018, 01:18:12 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 12:54:50 PM
Quote from: Premier Emperor on May 14, 2018, 12:47:43 PM
Quote from: whitey on May 14, 2018, 12:16:11 PM
Quote from: Premier Emperor on May 14, 2018, 11:34:04 AM
Quote from: whitey on May 14, 2018, 01:24:16 AM
Quote from: Syferus on May 13, 2018, 11:53:09 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 13, 2018, 11:42:24 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 13, 2018, 10:25:27 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 13, 2018, 10:21:39 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 13, 2018, 09:59:36 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 13, 2018, 09:29:06 PM
Thousands of people travel to Las Vegas to gamble, that is not necessarily a justification for introducing similar gambling in Ireland.

You do realise how scummy these comparisons are, right? Are you just trying to offend at this stage?

I am making the point that laws do not have to be the same as in other places.  If you feel my comparison is not valid then you can argue your case, you obviously feel you cannot when you resort to abuse.

You're not making any point whatsoever.

Why respond to me, then?

Because what you posted compared healthcare with gambling or driving a fast car. Stop digging the hole you created for yourself deeper - you said something that is entirely indefensible.

WTF are you ranting about.....hes right.....just because something is legal in another country, doesnt mean it should automatically be legal in Ireland. 

Following your logic 14 year olds should be able to get married, regular joe soaps should be allowed to own automatic weapons, prostitution should be legal, euthenasia should be legal ...etc, etc.
Ignore him. He's just pretending to be offended because a stupid point by Sid got torpedoed.

Offended? Who's offended?
The Syferus fella.
Mock outrage at a very valid point.
Syferus can speak for himself - I'm just laughing at the pig ignorant stupidity and inability to debate from the No side.

Keep it up, as somebody likes to say.

EH.....Im in favor of a Yes vote!

I voted Yes in the poll and have said at least half a dozen times on here that Im in favor of a Yes vote.

The issue I see with many of the Yes supporters is that unless everyone wholeheartedly agrees with every single nuance of their various arguments, they get painted as something theyre not.

It is a schoolyard bully tactic to shut down debate and silence any dissenting opinions (even of those who agree with them in principle but maybe not on every detail)

This is exactly what happened with Brexit and Trump and we know how those votes both turned out

Lolzers.

You are quite the snowflake.

I absolutely welcome different opinions, and if people want to throw out personal abuse, as the no side have been only too happy to do, I'm fine with that.

It just seems strange that there have been so few coherent opinions on the No side, and so few No supporting-posters who are willing to answer hard questions.

Very strange.

So it's a laughing matter now?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 14, 2018, 03:37:27 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 01:28:39 PM
Quote from: whitey on May 14, 2018, 01:18:12 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 12:54:50 PM
Quote from: Premier Emperor on May 14, 2018, 12:47:43 PM
Quote from: whitey on May 14, 2018, 12:16:11 PM
Quote from: Premier Emperor on May 14, 2018, 11:34:04 AM
Quote from: whitey on May 14, 2018, 01:24:16 AM
Quote from: Syferus on May 13, 2018, 11:53:09 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 13, 2018, 11:42:24 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 13, 2018, 10:25:27 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 13, 2018, 10:21:39 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 13, 2018, 09:59:36 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 13, 2018, 09:29:06 PM
Thousands of people travel to Las Vegas to gamble, that is not necessarily a justification for introducing similar gambling in Ireland.

You do realise how scummy these comparisons are, right? Are you just trying to offend at this stage?

I am making the point that laws do not have to be the same as in other places.  If you feel my comparison is not valid then you can argue your case, you obviously feel you cannot when you resort to abuse.

You're not making any point whatsoever.

Why respond to me, then?

Because what you posted compared healthcare with gambling or driving a fast car. Stop digging the hole you created for yourself deeper - you said something that is entirely indefensible.

WTF are you ranting about.....hes right.....just because something is legal in another country, doesnt mean it should automatically be legal in Ireland. 

Following your logic 14 year olds should be able to get married, regular joe soaps should be allowed to own automatic weapons, prostitution should be legal, euthenasia should be legal ...etc, etc.
Ignore him. He's just pretending to be offended because a stupid point by Sid got torpedoed.

Offended? Who's offended?
The Syferus fella.
Mock outrage at a very valid point.
Syferus can speak for himself - I'm just laughing at the pig ignorant stupidity and inability to debate from the No side.

Keep it up, as somebody likes to say.

EH.....Im in favor of a Yes vote!

I voted Yes in the poll and have said at least half a dozen times on here that Im in favor of a Yes vote.

The issue I see with many of the Yes supporters is that unless everyone wholeheartedly agrees with every single nuance of their various arguments, they get painted as something theyre not.

It is a schoolyard bully tactic to shut down debate and silence any dissenting opinions (even of those who agree with them in principle but maybe not on every detail)

This is exactly what happened with Brexit and Trump and we know how those votes both turned out

Lolzers.

You are quite the snowflake.

I absolutely welcome different opinions, and if people want to throw out personal abuse, as the no side have been only too happy to do, I'm fine with that.

It just seems strange that there have been so few coherent opinions on the No side, and so few No supporting-posters who are willing to answer hard questions.

Very strange.

So it's a laughing matter now?

You mustn't have read much of Whitey's back catalogue of hits to post this.

whitey

So what exactly did I say?

I called bvllshit on ONE article shared on "In her Shoes" where the girls real time blog completely contradicted her Irish Times interview.....her blog has since been removed

I also said that some on the Yes side were attempting to stifle debate by jumping down the throat of anyone who didnt completely agree with them on EVERYTHING

sid waddell

Quote from: whitey on May 14, 2018, 03:49:07 PM

I called bvllshit on ONE article shared on "In her Shoes" where the girls real time blog completely contradicted her Irish Times interview.....her blog has since been removed

I also said that some on the Yes side were attempting to stifle debate by jumping down the throat of anyone who didnt completely agree with them on EVERYTHING
And you were correctly called out for being a bullshitter.

Your claim to be a Yes supporter is about as convincing as Dougal Maguire's claim to not be an anti-semite.

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 05:20:10 PM

Your claim to be a Yes supporter is about as convincing as Dougal Maguire's claim to not be an anti-semite.

LOL.....thanks for proving my point

sid waddell

Quote from: whitey on May 14, 2018, 05:22:49 PM

Stop trying to shut down debate.

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 05:28:11 PM

Haha....good one......Im not the person jumping down everyones neck and insulting them for not agreeing with them.

People can have very good reasons for voting no.....thats the part you seem incapable of jnderstanding.....I have a friends here in the States who got a Downs Syndrome diagnosis about 25/30 years ago.  They got lots of pressure to terminate the pregnancy.....guess what, the foetus with Downs Syndrome graduated from Harvard Medical School last month

sid waddell

Quote from: whitey on May 14, 2018, 05:35:34 PM

Haha....good one......Im not the person jumping down everyones neck and insulting them for not agreeing with them.

You're just a troll with nothing to say.

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 06:18:58 PM

Keep it up

BennyCake

Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 06:18:58 PM

He's correct on that score.