Change one historical GAA event

Started by Orior, April 18, 2007, 12:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead_Sam

Well if Billy Boots can go on a trip

The great famine never happens, Mayo with a population of 450,000 does not decline to 100,000 & back up to 120,000(now) but instead rockets at the same rate it had pre-famine, Irelands most populated County (and worst affected by the famine) continues to grow until 2007 with a Population of 4 million is challenging for its 53 Senior Football Title, 66 NFL Title, 32 Senior Hurling Title & 50'th NHL Title.

Trip Over

blanketattack

I'm surprised there hasn't been any posts saying "go back to April 2006 and change 12 votes at the annual congress from "yes" to "no"!

I'd go back to Boody Sunday in 1920 and shoot all the black and tans who entered Croke Park.

For a proper GAA moment, I'd probably put a sedative into the Meath water supply before the 2001 semi-final.

Runner-up:
Tie Seamus Darby's boots together just before the ball was kicked in at the end of the 82 final.

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on April 18, 2007, 12:33:47 PM
Anthony Finertys second goal shot does not run along the goal mouth & wide but into the goal in the 1989 Football All-Ireland Final.

As a result Mayo goes on to win Sam over Cork in 1989.

John O'Mahoney is therefore never hounded out of Mayo.

Eh, was Johno not still manager of Mayo for 1990 and 1991 when Ros won back to back Connachts.

For me Kerry's two goals in the 1946 All-Ireland to draw level and deny Jimmy Murray's men a third All-Ireland.

And of course Jimmy Burke's fluke (pushed Gay Sheerin, fell on the ball, somehow fumbled it into the net) in the 1989 Connacht final, after extra time in a replay.

Croí na hÉireann

Bradley and Muldoon goal efforts go wide in 2004 quarter final and Lakers ease into semi-final where Kerry get their best/only test of the year...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Ryano

That Derek Thompson "hand pass" (in its loosest interpretation) in the 98 Connaught final replay between Ros & Galway in the Hyde......it must still be keeping him awake at night. We had them feckin bet ya T-I-T!!!!

thebandit

Armagh:
Bumpy wouldn't have kicked the ball into the keeper's hands,
Oisin would have buried the goal chance in extra time in 2000,
Gormley just misses blocking the ball in '03,
Bill McCorry would have scored the penalty in '53.
Minors got the result they deserved in 92

Monaghan:
the 90's are wiped from the memory bank,
they'd have taken the goal chance to go 9 ahead v Tyrone in '04
the club fixtures for ths year would have been made out with some sort of rhyme or reason to them

The Real Laoislad

Kevin Fitzpatrick missing a great goal chance in injury time in Leinster Final v Westmeath 2004...How did he miss :'(
You'll Never Walk Alone.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Ryano on April 18, 2007, 01:23:56 PM
That Derek Thompson "hand pass" (in its loosest interpretation) in the 98 Connaught final replay between Ros & Galway in the Hyde......it must still be keeping him awake at night. We had them feckin bet ya T-I-T!!!!

Ah sure ye would only have got humped in the semi-finals anyway. ;D

continuity tug

sean mc cauge was never president
then rule 21 would never have gone

realredhandfan

Donagh

Ger Reid's retaliatory trip on Geraghty in the '99 semi final.

The Real Laoislad

I know it only said one..but the bad memories are flowing back

Pauric Horan(Offaly) being awarded a goal against Laois when he and everyone knew it had gone through the side netting..Offaly go on to win All Ireland and many more afterwards,Laois hurling never recovered ;)
What made it worse it was my uncle who was in goal that day for Laois
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 18, 2007, 01:41:42 PM
Kevin Fitzpatrick missing a great goal chance in injury time in Leinster Final v Westmeath 2004...How did he miss :'(

I'm convinced he's gonna goal it every time I watch it. Cold sweat every time...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ziggysego

When Charlie Redmond was sent off in the 1995 All Ireland Final, I would have liked to seen him actually leave the pitch ASAP.

Actually no, have the point Peter Canavan set up in the same game be allowed.
Testing Accessibility

cavanmaniac

Did any Westmeath folk mention Dessie Dolan's appalling miss from a free against meath at Croke Park a few years ago??? What a nightmare for maroons!

From a Cavan perspective, I'd like to take a big f**k-off scalpel to the last 40 years or so, but if pushed to narrow it down I'd go for something recent and have Jayo give the ball enough length to clear the crossbar in the dying minutes of the qualifier against Derry in 2004/5. We might have done something more under Coleman that year, as it was we hung the heads and were whipped out the gate in extra time.