For any Trad heads out there....

Started by The Gs Man, April 08, 2007, 10:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

Just trying to get my big bro's videos a few more hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF--f7JxFPk

Sure let me know what ye reckon anyways.
Keep 'er lit

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Cloc Mor

Must admit I'd rather have Trads than Triads.

Rossfan

Lad on the uileanns is good - pity about the noise from the stringy thing - it takes away from the piper.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Weo Ping

Great stuff.  I hear Barry Kerr is a lad from Belfast.  Definitely doing us proud. I have heard him playing fiddle and flute- I didn't know he could play pipes as well.  Up there with Donal Lunny on the pipes. 

Don't know bout Rossman but I think the Bouzouki is a nice accompaniment.

Donagh

Quote from: Weo Ping on April 09, 2007, 09:01:31 PM
Great stuff. I hear Barry Kerr is a lad from Belfast.

Typical!

Great stuff Gs. How did he get on over in the States?

Hardy

I didn't know he could play pipes as well.  Up there with Donal Lunny on the pipes. 

That good, eh?

The Gs Man

He didn't go Donagh.  Money on Riverdance wasn't enough to coax him to go.  Too many commitments at home.

Weo Ping, although he's living in Belfast he's originally from Buckfast Central (Lurgan).  And I don't think he's ever played the fiddle.....that might be the wee sister your thinking about.  They look a bit alike but he has a bigger beer belly.  She was on TG4 last night playing fiddle alongside Nipper Quinn on guitar (Antrim Senior Hurler).  Some programme about guitars in Irish music.

Jaysus we're a talented family.   :P
Keep 'er lit

Donagh

Sounded like a NIO love-in anyway. Probably better off out of it.

Was talking to Bernadette OH recently and she was telling me he was doing some work the kids from the gaelscoil as well. Any chance of some free lessons my way? ;)

Fear ón Srath Bán

Very good, and best of luck to them (pipes and bouzouki go well together I think).  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

SammyG

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Hardy on April 10, 2007, 11:20:11 AM
I didn't know he could play pipes as well.  Up there with Donal Lunny on the pipes. 

That good, eh?

:D

very good hardy.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Just reminded today Gs Man, that Barry plays the pipes on Mickey Coleman's The Brantry Boy too, great bit of evocative, elegiac playing. Not easy.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit

The Gs Man

Quick Plug alert.........

The Ceili House Folk Club

After a long absence, The Ceili House Folk Club returns on Friday 27th April with a much anticipated gig involving some of the best talents to grace the Traditional Irish Music scene in recent times.  The Ceili HouseBar in Lurgan, which has recently undergone a change in ownership and a complete refurbishment of both bar and lounge, will play host to three top traditional Irish music artists.

Barry Kerr, Donal O'Connor and Alan Burke are all recognised as virtuosos of their instruments and this is a rare opportunity to see the three lads performing together.

Originally from Lurgan, Barry Kerr is regarded as one of the outstanding traditional musicians of his generation and his debut album "The World Looks Away" has been greeted with critical acclaim.  Barry is rapidly establishing himself as a fine painter and sculptor through numerous sell-out exhibitions but, with his music, he is winning over a large fanbase throughout Europe and beyond.

Donal o'Connor has inherited a great musical legacy of at least five generations of fiddle playing.  He is regarded as one of the greatest fiddle players of his generation.  Donal's playing was described recently by the Irish Times as "...immaculate..." "...electrifying...".

Alan Burke's voice is unique, full of power and sensitivity.  His inexhaustible repertoire of traditional, Gaelic and contemporary songs are varied in mood and style.  His guitar playing is also powerful, but, at the same time, sensitive.  He has played supporting Christy Moore, Sharon Shannon, Moving Hearts and Altan.

Doors open for the gig at 9 p.m. and the concert begins promptly at 9.30 p.m.  Admission will be £5 for what promises to be one of the musical highlights for the local calendar.   

To receive further updates in relation to The Ceili House Folk Club please email: theceilihouse@hotmail.com or visit www.theceilihouse.com

Keep 'er lit