FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 18, 2015, 10:15:00 PM
You are 100% there Moysider. Its about trickling in a couple of players in troublesome areas. No need for the madness the ensued Galway post 1983! H&C I expect will have most of the familiar faces come Summer. Momentum in 2013 was phenomenal. Not so much in 2014. It will be interesting to see our hunger in 2015! New faces are one thing, but will we have that small bit of extra cuteness with the established players?

As for Connacht we are still champions of the province and no matter how much the opposition are improving we will be hard dethrone. A piece of history beckons for this group in getting the five in a row so each provincial title has a bit more worth than usual. That said there will be some celebration for our opponents if one them dethrones us. But that the beauty of sport.

Yes; and you would expect that at this stage. How many times were we done in the past with cuteness from players like Tony Mac and Joyce in their veteran years after we would have done all the huffing and puffing.

But the line will have to contribute as well. If there is a + for this joint manager lark ( and I have my doubts there could be), maybe they will be able to identify and sort critical developments when a decision or no decision decides a game.

Itchy

A decade of Roscommon dominance is the only conclusion I can see followibg today's big result. May God have mercy on us.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on January 18, 2015, 10:41:33 PM
You are 100% there Moysider. Its about trickling in a couple of players in troublesome areas. No need for the madness the ensued Galway post 1983! H&C I expect will have most of the familiar faces come Summer. Momentum in 2013 was phenomenal. Not so much in 2014. It will be interesting to see our hunger in 2015! New faces are one thing, but will we have that small bit of extra cuteness with the established players?

As for Connacht we are still champions of the province and no matter how much the opposition are improving we will be hard dethrone. A piece of history beckons for this group in getting the five in a row so each provincial title has a bit more worth than usual. That said there will be some celebration for our opponents if one them dethrones us. But that the beauty of sport.

Yes; and you would expect that at this stage. How many times were we done in the past with cuteness from players like Tony Mac and Joyce in their veteran years after we would have done all the huffing and puffing.

But the line will have to contribute as well. If there is a + for this joint manager lark ( and I have my doubts there could be), maybe they will be able to identify and sort critical developments when a decision or no decision decides a game.

On this topic, I thought Donal Vaughan was.. well, what I expected Donal Vaughan playing FB to be. Ye named your All-Star HB line as your FB line and it worked terribly.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on January 18, 2015, 10:48:28 PM
Quote from: moysider on January 18, 2015, 10:41:33 PM

On this topic, I thought Donal Vaughan was.. well, what I expected Donal Vaughan playing FB to be. Ye named your All-Star HB line as your FB line and it worked terribly.

Wasn t there so cant argue with ye. But this management have to try a few things and this was the time to do it.

Rossfan

It might only be January (it is), it might only be thoull FBD...
But fcuk it sure it's great to bate them hoors :D.
If only the same could happen next July....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Quote from: larryin89 on January 18, 2015, 06:24:30 PM

Not one Mayo supporter with an ounce of cop on thinks we are in with a chance of glory this year. New management , new ideas and it could actually take a long time before we are back in croker .  Roscommon probably not going to reach the heights Mayo have over the last 15/20 year s but they are very likely going to share connacht Glory with Galway for the next 4/5 years.

Ah now Larry if we were to ever reach those heights of reaching many All Ireland finals i would hope to win at least one, as for the rest don't worry i believe you.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Shrewdness

seafoid

This and a nice low key league will suit Mayo down to the ground . Find a few new players but wait until the ground gets hard to put the pieces together. Let the Rossies do the talking in the meantime . Let them peak in June or July . Relentless focus on the business end. No fuss. No media attention. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

moysider

A bit surprised that Ros. decided to put down a marker yesterday. Was yesterday the day to do it or will it just have marked our cards for later - if there is a later. Anyway both sides face into tough league campaigns shortly. There won't be much talk of FBD in a month. Especially in Ros. if they're having a disappointing league.?

Chimley

Moy, I reckon Ros wanted to lay a ghost or two in Castlebar at the earliest opportunity and yesterday was that day. According to reports, they approached the game with a physical edge usually absent in January and we were pushed about a bit in the process. From their point of view, that was a good days work and re-enforces the good memories of facing the green and red of the younger brigade like the Murtaghs and the Smiths who have plenty of experience of beating Mayo under-age.

Syferus

Quote from: Chimley on January 19, 2015, 03:04:43 PM
Moy, I reckon Ros wanted to lay a ghost or two in Castlebar at the earliest opportunity and yesterday was that day. According to reports, they approached the game with a physical edge usually absent in January and we were pushed about a bit in the process. From their point of view, that was a good days work and re-enforces the good memories of facing the green and red of the younger brigade like the Murtaghs and the Smiths who have plenty of experience of beating Mayo under-age.

Ros-Mayo is never absent a physical edge in the January games. Most of the melees were after Mayo knew the jig was up and they started swinging their handbags. A lowly FBD game had the Mayo team riled. Most of the Mayo lads who played yesterday have previous experiences of this tie so they knew full-well it wasn't going to be a half-hearted affair.

The team were responding to the NUIG loss more than anything, they wanted to put in a better performance after losing to a college team.

moysider

Whatever Sy.
I suspected the jig was up when I saw team named and used my afternoon more productively.
We re as well out of it especially with Galway in final. We ll be seeing them soon enough.
Not sure management have learned much. Yesterday was probably a chance for a couple of lads to play themselves out of contention. Ros. have probably done us a couple of favours.

seafoid

Quote from: Chimley on January 19, 2015, 03:04:43 PM

There is a touch of this to it as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh4jRMDulH0
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on January 19, 2015, 03:26:25 PM
Whatever Sy.
I suspected the jig was up when I saw team named and used my afternoon more productively.
We re as well out of it especially with Galway in final. We ll be seeing them soon enough.
Not sure management have learned much. Yesterday was probably a chance for a couple of lads to play themselves out of contention. Ros. have probably done us a couple of favours.

Ye named seven starters from last year and brought on two more, it was hardly a team sent out to lose. We didn't have lads like Cregg, Conor Daly, David Keenan featuring at all, nevermind injuries, so it's hardly like we named our best team in some attempt to beat the shite out of Mayo in an FBD match (!) in January.

From the way all the news reports have been written you'd swear we'd been training the last two months with January 18th circled on the calendar. Everyone in the county knows that the Cavan match is the only one with real meaning.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on January 19, 2015, 03:33:39 PM
Quote from: moysider on January 19, 2015, 03:26:25 PM
Whatever Sy.

Ye named seven starters from last year and brought on two more, it was hardly a team sent out to lose. We didn't have lads like Cregg, Conor Daly, David Keenan featuring at all, nevermind injuries, so it's hardly like we named our best team in some attempt to beat the shite out of Mayo in an FBD (!) in January.

Syferus, Roscommon are the undoubted best team in Connacht, if not Ireland. That's been borne out by yesterday's result in a win-at-all-costs, winner-takes-all FBD semi-final in January. I apologise for any equivocation by my Mayo brethren.
Will that suffice?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."