Apathy towards GAA in the south

Started by tiempo, May 31, 2022, 04:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

When you have sports  administered by province you get provincial championships. This would be the place to start reform.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Quote from: full moon on June 01, 2022, 07:02:33 PM
Some population centres should be doing better namely Cork footballers, Wicklow. Antrim could be thrown in there too.

What is the population of Wicklow? Surely the most under-achieving county in Ireland.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Franko

Quote from: charlieTully on June 01, 2022, 06:27:01 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 01, 2022, 04:18:01 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on June 01, 2022, 02:33:43 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 01, 2022, 02:25:57 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on June 01, 2022, 01:19:01 PM
Time for an All Northern Ireland Championship or even better merge with the British Championship

Some abortion of a thread

Says the arch-partitionist, from Queen's feckin' County.

It's called Laois,Son

No self respecting Irishman would call it anything else

You lads need to be pitied

learning nothing but British history in your schools

Just wait till you hear what's happened Queenstown and the likes of sackville street.

No self respecting Irishman would you the term "northern ireland" when discussing GAA as even you must know GAA works through the 4 ancient provinces, of Ulster is the one you are speaking off. I know you probably think you are awfully witty but you are not. Regarding the success of Ulster counties in the All Ireland series, well it may have something to do with 1) A aggressively anti gaa government in control in the 6 counties for most of its 100 years and 2) The fact that 3 counties south on the republic side of the border had been (and continue to be) cast aside in terms of economic growth more than any other part of the country I would argue - just look at infrastructure (road, rail, universities etc).

The lad is clearly winding. Looking a bite.

There's a bit of a want in that lad, probably borne out of sheer despair at the state of his own county

In fairness, he has a point about the hurling - the teams in the top half of the country just don't seem to have it.

Most ulster counties can manage to put out a competitive football team though - so at least there's hope of silverware on one front

If yer a Laois man, looking at 2 bags of shite, it must be a massively more frustrating

full moon

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 01, 2022, 09:23:23 PM
Quote from: full moon on June 01, 2022, 07:02:33 PM
Some population centres should be doing better namely Cork footballers, Wicklow. Antrim could be thrown in there too.

What is the population of Wicklow? Surely the most under-achieving county in Ireland.
142,425 according to the previous census but I'd expect that to be increased by another fair bit from the latest census. Wicklow have often intrigued me as they're not particularly into hurling either so I assume football is the main of both codes there. I do know there is a good few rugby people down there affiliated to Leinster. I suppose Bray Wanderers too. But nothing out of the norm. Would be a fairly wealthy county. I've met plenty of D4 types who aren't from Dublin but actually Wicklow.

If there are any Wicklow folk on here perhaps they might chip in. I actually had a few quid on them to turn over Offaly last week but they underperformed.

manfromdelmonte

Geographically Wicklow is two different counties. Clubs along coast and then bordering Kildare/Carlow/Wexford.

Plus you've a huge influx of Dubs who often contribute nothing to local clubs

armaghniac

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 03, 2022, 08:32:30 PM
Geographically Wicklow is two different counties. Clubs along coast and then bordering Kildare/Carlow/Wexford.

Both useless.
Many counties have two parts, Leitrim or even Armagh.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear ón Srath Bán

Yep, Wicklow is split along the east-west spine, with the west Wicklovians looking upon the easties as virtual Dubs -- will take the equivalent of the sporting alchemist's magic to produce a formidable whole from that mixture.

Mustn't forget either, with no disrespect to the Wicklow folk in the slightest, but it was only split out into a separate county from Dublin and Carlow in 1606 -- the very last of the 32 Counties to be so designated.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tiempo

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 03, 2022, 10:01:14 PM
Yep, Wicklow is split along the east-west spine, with the west Wicklovians looking upon the easties as virtual Dubs -- will take the equivalent of the sporting alchemist's magic to produce a formidable whole from that mixture.

Mustn't forget either, with no disrespect to the Wicklow folk in the slightest, but it was only split out into a separate county from Dublin and Carlow in 1606 -- the very last of the 32 Counties to be so designated.

Christ glad they weren't subjected to unionism and their notions of ethnic cleansing. Its a wonder there's an Ulster championship at all, maybe having to fight for it up north has bred a more competitive gael, while those in the south have a more delicate disposition, hence their apathy to provincial championships and winning football.

clonadmad

Quote from: Itchy on June 01, 2022, 04:18:01 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on June 01, 2022, 02:33:43 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 01, 2022, 02:25:57 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on June 01, 2022, 01:19:01 PM
Time for an All Northern Ireland Championship or even better merge with the British Championship

Some abortion of a thread

Says the arch-partitionist, from Queen's feckin' County.

It's called Laois,Son

No self respecting Irishman would call it anything else

You lads need to be pitied

learning nothing but British history in your schools

Just wait till you hear what's happened Queenstown and the likes of sackville street.

No self respecting Irishman would you the term "northern ireland" when discussing GAA as even you must know GAA works through the 4 ancient provinces, of Ulster is the one you are speaking off. I know you probably think you are awfully witty but you are not. Regarding the success of Ulster counties in the All Ireland series, well it may have something to do with 1) A aggressively anti gaa government in control in the 6 counties for most of its 100 years and 2) The fact that 3 counties south on the republic side of the border had been (and continue to be) cast aside in terms of economic growth more than any other part of the country I would argue - just look at infrastructure (road, rail, universities etc).

Nordies in feeing sorry for themselves shocker