Senior Hurlers 2022

Started by mcwregor, December 16, 2021, 10:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G@@

Quote from: Spiritof86 on May 02, 2022, 10:25:45 AM
Eddie Brennans coaching career hasn't exactly progressed the way that was maybe expected after his Laois exit . Ran out of Cuala after an uninspiring year by all accounts.
Not sure he's the guy we want back Involved.

He got the best out of Laois in those two years and we were an exciting team to watch.

Some managers don't suit some counties/clubs, others do. I think EB would be great to have back on board.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

blueandwhite1

100% agree. He had them flying. Would take him back in a heartbeat.

Spiritof1915

Brennan done a fantastic job but there's more chance of Brian Cody being Laois manager. He well and truly burnt his bridges with the Laois hierarchy. Besides if Laois beat westmeath, cheader will be given the option of staying on.

Spiritof86

Cheddar has as much as said this is his final campaign with Laois . The idea of Brennan returning is ludicrous. Neither him or the county board would let that happen again .

Laoisred

Totally agree. No way Brennan will be back in Laois from both perspectives I'd say. He had a very good first year getting a bounce with the team, winning the Joe Mc and v Dublin in Portlaoise and Tipp in Croke Park. Average year 2. In the league : Lost to Wex (11), Dub (8), Clare (8), KK (9), beating only Carlow (1). Lost in Championship to Dublin (14). One decent performance in qualifiers v Clare where Laois ran them to a point. Clare had a man sent off and stopped hurling if memory serves me.
It didn't go to plan in Cuala.

For now Cheddar is in charge of Laois and the entire group needs our support, now more than ever. Crucial that they can get as many as the lads as possible fit and ready to go v Westmeath. Very important to stay up so that the new man coming in (if there is one) has something to build towards.

Laoisred

should read Dublin 8 and Clare 8 in that last post...not sure where the sunglasses came from....!

Milltown Row2

It only reinforces the difference between top tier and the rest..

If you can't break into that group then the rest like Westmeath/Kerry/Antrim will never bridge that gap..

The only team that has successfully held in there has been Dublin
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Laois Rising

Injuries have taken the wind and momentum out of the Laois sails this year. It is a pity. The age profile is still good for a lot of our players going forward and with some very decent U20s stepping up over the next couple of years it could be a job with potential for someone. Tommy Fitz would be an excellent shout if he wanted the job. He has served his time as selector and is surely gaining valuable experience with St. Thomas' in Galway coaching one of the top club sides in the country. If he sets up teams to play hurling how he hurled himself it would also help bring the supporters back to O'Moore Park.

Spiritof86

Tommy Fitz wouldn't be a bad shout alright .

LaoisAbu20

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2022/05/04/talking-sport-podcast-would-the-joe-mcdonagh-cup-be-a-better-fit-for-the-laois-hurlers/

What a woeful piece of journalism. Miller and Hartnett should be ashamed of themselves. I seemed to have missed the podcast that suggested that  the footballers would be better off dropping down to the tailteann cup. I can't understand for the life of me why they can't get someone who has an actual understanding of hurling on their podcast. The answer to a bad year of hurling is not to drop down.

Unlike what Miller likes to believe, the problem lies with the management and the county board. Cheddar was a quick fix for an embarrassing situation following the fallout with Eddie Brennan. As I said last year after the match against Wexford, the writing was on the wall. Cheddar doesn't have a game plan, he uses all the correct phrases but if you actually listen to what he is saying it's all fluff and no substance. He doesn't listen to the players at all and the excuses with injuries is just pathetic at this stage. Good players have dropped off the panel, the lads still on the panel are at their wits end and the support from the team has plummeted to an all time low.

I hope Cheddar does the right thing and steps down after this season. He's given a lot to Laois and it would have been better if he retired from inter county management on a high note. Just hoping that the lads can get it together for a win over Westmeath and regroup.

mcwregor

I would be a Cheddar fan in so far as the passion he has for laois hurling cannot be matched. He is also willing to do something about it unlike plenty who do nothing only post negative comments online. However, for the good of our senior team I hope he steps down. Something just isn't working, injuries aside we seem devoid of any confidence and the effort in games is even questionable. Its like as if the players just dont have any hope and just want it over asap.

I would share the views of others on here that we have players to compete at the top level if everything is going right for us. But we need everyone and when you are missing the likes of picky, Roddy, Collier, Podge Delany, Aaron Dunphy, Lee Cleere, Joe Campion, Eanna Lyons etc, it makes things a lot more difficult. I know some lads didnt commit under Brennan but I wonder if someone else was in charge would the likes of Dunphy & Cleere be there? Also we had 4 lads leave the panel a couple of weeks before the first championship match tells us that its not a very happy camp. Its more difficult to keep everyone happy in laois than other counties for some reason. I think there needs to be an investigation into why this is the case. The drop out level in other counties like Carlow, Kerry, Westmeath is not near as bad. Why? For the players that left the panel You would have to question their attitude and ambition throwing in the towel before championship even started.

I would love to see Cheddar given a hurling director role within the county. He has the passion and drive to turn our fortunes around but he would need help

SpeculativeEffort

If we talking about successors to Cheddar my no.1 choice would be Diarmuid Mullins.

clonadmad

Quote from: LaoisAbu20 on May 04, 2022, 10:09:58 AM
https://www.laoistoday.ie/2022/05/04/talking-sport-podcast-would-the-joe-mcdonagh-cup-be-a-better-fit-for-the-laois-hurlers/

What a woeful piece of journalism. Miller and Hartnett should be ashamed of themselves. I seemed to have missed the podcast that suggested that  the footballers would be better off dropping down to the tailteann cup. I can't understand for the life of me why they can't get someone who has an actual understanding of hurling on their podcast. The answer to a bad year of hurling is not to drop down.

Unlike what Miller likes to believe, the problem lies with the management and the county board. Cheddar was a quick fix for an embarrassing situation following the fallout with Eddie Brennan. As I said last year after the match against Wexford, the writing was on the wall. Cheddar doesn't have a game plan, he uses all the correct phrases but if you actually listen to what he is saying it's all fluff and no substance. He doesn't listen to the players at all and the excuses with injuries is just pathetic at this stage. Good players have dropped off the panel, the lads still on the panel are at their wits end and the support from the team has plummeted to an all time low.

I hope Cheddar does the right thing and steps down after this season. He's given a lot to Laois and it would have been better if he retired from inter county management on a high note. Just hoping that the lads can get it together for a win over Westmeath and regroup.

While Laois Today provide an excellent service

Their overwhelming bias is all the time for the big ball

More balance needed

SpeculativeEffort

Both are football men with a genuine but passing interest in hurling. They could do with a more heavy hitting hurling person onboard.

burdizzo

Sounds like Laois County Board.