Laois Senior Hurling Championship 2021

Started by SCFC, August 29, 2021, 11:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbo

If Borris turn up I think they'll win. Greater hunger coupled with a management who have corrected a few issues since the last final. Ballacolla haven't changed a lot and I don't think that's the way to go back-to-back. You always need to be trying to evolve and find new ways to improve.
Maher and Dunphy will be targeted big time. Conditions will suit Borris too I think.

Man of the match: Matthew

I think everyone expects ballinakill to win the first game. I get it. There the team down from senior and have the better number of county players. However, I think Ballyfin have a great chance. Strong and powerful middle-third and always carry a scoring threat either from distance and inside. I think if Cha catches fire then it could be different but I think Ballyfin might be able to keep him relatively quiet. Some of their other forwards can be a bit hit or miss.

Like I said, I get why Ballinakill are favourites but I'm going for Ballyfin.

MOTM: James Finn

Ogie

Did Doyle appeal his red card or bother? Hard to see anyway of getting off from initial viewing anyway.
Ballacolla also struck with Covid ?

ottoman

Quote from: Ogie on November 05, 2021, 02:06:58 PM
Did Doyle appeal his red card or bother? Hard to see anyway of getting off from initial viewing anyway.
Ballacolla also struck with Covid ?

What?? Hadn't heard that...any confirmed players to be missing?

Laois man

On Sundays games Borris/kilcotton by 2 and Ballinakill 6.

Home Boys Home

Clough Ballacolla to win the senior for me, I think they can get the better of the Borris Kilcotton full back line if they get a reasonable the supply going in. Clough Ballacolla by 4.

Ballinakill have a lot of new players this year. A good few of them were county minor and u20 and should be ok, but you never know how it will go sometimes for young lads, so that might be an issue for them. On balance I would say they still have plenty of experienced men like Brian O'Meara and Podge who along with their county men should steer them home, Ballinakil by 5 or 6 points maybe.

Keyser Söze

Should be two good games.

Senior
For the players they have, Borris Kilcotton were tactically very poor in the 2020 final. Rumors afterwards of unrest & friction. But sometimes these things are a necessary bump in the road. Particularly when it's an in-house manager. An episode or period like that can harden the resolve all round and establish a "line in the sand".
Nobody is afraid to upset anybody else anymore and expectations of each other (players & management) can be heightened with a healthy "tension".
They have a good balance about them and have gone about their business clinically enough this year.

I think the biggest problem they had in the 2020 final was dealing with how deep Robbie Phelan drifted, who picked him up and what happened to the space left behind. 
There is enough experience and tactical know how on the line and on the field to have identified that and try to stem it.
They are also blessed with a variety of options from a man marking/matchups point of view. It really is crucial at this level.

Clough Ballacolla keep surprising me. Their performances and run of wins over the last 12-14 months is beyond what I thought they were capable of. Picky and Aidan Corby run the show in my eyes. With plenty of supporting acts.
They are flying high confidence wise, look really well conditioned and seem to have found a perfect match management wise.

Borris Kilcotton have underachieved big time in terms of titles won. They must surely be hurting over the 2020 final. Their own supporters were extremely critical of them afterwards, questioning their balls (for want of a better word).
There has to be an awareness of that from within.
I think it will be enough to give them an edge.
BK by 6.

Intermediate
Losing to Ballyfin was the best thing that happened Ballinakill this year.
It seems to have sharpened the mind and wiped away any complacency that inevitably creeps in with a newly relegated side.
They have a sprinkling of really talented, experienced guys throughout the field.
They also have great men on the line. You'd have to be confident that they have enough to get though this. I reckon by 6 or 7 points.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Spiritof1915

Borris/kilcotton must be sick. Great chance entering the last quarter but CB big players really stood up. They'll be the standard bearers for the next couple of years.

Keyser Söze

Agreed.
They will be devestated with that.
Did so much right.
Built up considerable leads twice.
Lost them twice.
Settled again and got ahead.
They really really really really really should have finished that off.

There was a huge swing in the opening moments of the second half. Noah Quinlan was adjudged to have thrown the ball to Scully who popped it over for a score that would have put them 8 up.
Free out.
CB went down and scored 1-4 without reply to draw level.

Not blaming the Ref at all for BK losing. But he never looks confident himself when he calls something
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Helix.

Yeah Borris Kilcotton left that behind them this evening. Couldn't get the ball to stick in the forwards in 2nd half. Credit to Clough Ballacolla worthy winners and hopefully give a good account of themselves in Leinster club championship.
I'm not sure if eyes deceiving me but thought there were a fair few throw balls on both sides today.

Ballyfin indiscipline near the end cost them too. Though Balinakill more likely to stay at senior after winning today. Time will tell.

town1980

Best team won n matter it's down to results well done bk

TheGiantSquid

At this stage I believe BK have taken an unwanted label off the Harps, if you know what I mean!

ottoman

How did BK manage to lose that one?? Huge credit to Clough Ballacolla to be fair, they seemed to never know when they're beating and that is something you couldn't have said about this team down through the years but they definitely seemed to have turned a corner.

The game itself was a belter, definitely the highest quality skill and intensity wise that I've seen in Laois in a good number of years. Every mistake and slight delay on the ball was punished to the last and that is what you want to see. Few things that turned to tide on Borris for me was their midfield just seemed to evaporate in the 2nd half after been so dominant in the first and Lee Cleeres performance on Aaron Dunphy in the 2nd half. After what happened in the first that battle needed to be won by Lee if CB were to have any hope and he was immense scoring 2 savage points to go with it.

Quick one on Adian Corby? Has he been called into the county yet or what is the story there? He is such an good player I don't think Laois can afford not to have him in the squad. From chatting to a few Ballacolla lads in the stand during the game he has made himself available but wasn't brought in. Without knowing too much about the set up I find that odd to be honest.

Robbo

Gutted for Ballyfin. Underdogs who performed brilliantly but in the crucial moments, nothing went for us. Even before the game losing one of our most important players.
Well done to Ballinakill. On balance, they deserved it. Hope they do well in Leinster.

I thought Borros would win the senior final. And they had every chance. Ballacolla have some spirit though, wherever they've got it from I don't know. And without 2 important lads. Willie Dunphy was by far the best player on pitch yesterday. Unreal.

Ballygowen

Great games yesterday. B/K should have held on to it and got the win. The started so brilliant and with such intensity. They will be sick today having let it slip. I though Mathew at no 65 was very good, got on a lot of ball, gave no chance to Jordan walsh to make an impact. CB never panicked, stayed plugging away, Picky and willie Dunphy the main forwards for them. Once they went ahead near the end, they looked like never losing it then. Credit it to them, I do feel for B/K, 3rd ion a row to lose.

Only saw the 2nd half of the Ballyfinn and Ballinakill game. Don't think Ballyfinn scored from play in the second half? Hard to win a final when no scores from play in the 2nd half. The penalty miss kinda changed it. Ballyfinn chasing it after that miss. Loyns inf airness scored a great goal from the 21 free, made for an exciting last few mins.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Hopefully C/B go on now and give the Leinster championship a good go as I think they are a well balanced outfit. They would have been disappointed not to get the chance to represent Laois in 2020, so fair play to them for coming back and winning it again. They showed massive guts to come out on top of the last two games against R/E and B/K where their backs were against the wall.

I believe they face Rapparees of Wexford in the opening round. Can't say I know a lot about them but they had a big win in their own county final so I'd imagine they're decent and C/B will have to be at their best.