The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbo

Quote from: beano on October 11, 2021, 05:56:02 PM
I think it's the best management set up that we could have hoped for . If lads can't play for Chris , beano or billy then we may forget it . While not brushing over the apparent problems in Laois gaa.....

I agree with this part of your quote completely.

I still think we're a long way off Meath or Kildare but we should have enough to be best of the rest in Leinster. Or at least be in the reckoning.

No reason we couldn't compete for the Tailteann Cup.
It could give Laois football a great boost. As I think the Joe Mcdonagh did for the hurlers...however fleeting it may have been....

High Fielder

Looks like the PR machine is in top gear. No offence to anyone here, but I would have been underwhelmed if someone had proposed that team in the first place. I'm still underwhelmed.

The above said, I realise where we are as a county and options are limited. In all likelihood it's theirs now so good luck to them, but let's not heap any expectation on them. Like their predecessors have found out, there are many obstacles to jump before you even get a panel of dedicated Laois players in front of you.

BallyroanAbu

Let's be honest this management has a fair few holes in it,  sounds better than it is and currently I'd have Laois 6th in Leinster hovering above Louth, Longford, Wicklow, Carlow, Wexford and Kilkenny but behind Dublin, Meath, Kildare, Westmeath & Offaly.  I would think more likely to drop down than to go up.

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: beano on October 11, 2021, 05:56:02 PM
If lads can't play for Chris , beano or billy then we may forget it .

I think this is overly simplistic for the modern game. Of course lads will respect those ppl for what they did as players. They will give them every chance. However they are now managing the team. If they dont have to required communication, organisational, coaching skills etc. their currency will lose value very quickly. Then the team will fail and not because 'lads wouldnt play for Chris, Beano or Billy'.

town1980

totally agree Speculative effort all the key points are in that statement

Tintin84

As this thread is "The Future for Laois Football" Anyone any word or know what's going on with the Laois minor setup? Has anyone been mentioned or does anyone know of anyone that went for it, seems there taking their time announcing the management team?

SCFC

Quote from: Tintin84 on October 12, 2021, 11:21:27 AM
As this thread is "The Future for Laois Football" Anyone any word or know what's going on with the Laois minor setup? Has anyone been mentioned or does anyone know of anyone that went for it, seems there taking their time announcing the management team?
Gordon Lawlor (Mountmellick/Kilcavan) had this group since under 13 or 14 but I don't know if he is available.

Joeythelips

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on October 11, 2021, 10:15:04 PM
Let's be honest this management has a fair few holes in it,  sounds better than it is and currently I'd have Laois 6th in Leinster hovering above Louth, Longford, Wicklow, Carlow, Wexford and Kilkenny but behind Dublin, Meath, Kildare, Westmeath & Offaly.  I would think more likely to drop down than to go up.

I would have to agree with that assessment of where Laois are currently in the Leinster pecking order, the new management setup has a lot of work to do given the fact that most of our better players are on the way out so new players need to cut their teeth at inter county level. There will be pressure on straightaway as all the teams in Div 3 are basically at the same level as Laois so we should really be challenging for promotion. I wish them well.

The PRO

I never liked Sheehan's style of play although he always has that Tyrone 2006 game to endear him to me a bit!
His biggest task is to get all of the best players in to the panel, something that hasn't always happened. I'd love to see Sean Moore on the panel. I also think it would be important to keep Begley and Timmons involved as they are excellent lads to have in the dressing room.

Spiritof86

I'm pretty sure Sean Moore will be called into the panel and be given the opportunity . Conflicting stories regarding the involvement of the older lads . I suppose we will have to see what happens but wouldn't be overly surprised if a few lads stepped aside .

town1980

i could be pretty sure it will be the same outcome brilliant club player but intercounty he  has been tried and tested not up to it

High Fielder

Getting sick listening to this scutter. Leave the lad alone. He's better than any forward in Portlaoise. What benefit is it to you or anyone to keep rattling this off every time his name is mentioned. If that's your opinion fine, but it doesn't need repeating ad nauseam.

If Sean Moore isn't good enough, Laois are not good enough, because he consistently outscores some lads who have never done anything with Laois.

Robbo

Quote from: High Fielder on October 14, 2021, 06:18:30 PM
Getting sick listening to this scutter. Leave the lad alone. He's better than any forward in Portlaoise. What benefit is it to you or anyone to keep rattling this off every time his name is mentioned. If that's your opinion fine, but it doesn't need repeating ad nauseam.

If Sean Moore isn't good enough, Laois are not good enough, because he consistently outscores some lads who have never done anything with Laois.

100%.
And he has an attitude that management and fellow panelists will really appreciate.
If Proposal B passes next week and we have 7 games next Summer in Division 3 on hard ground; he could be one of the first names on the team sheet.

High Fielder

Sheehan needs to persist with Moore. He's one of the only lads who consistently scores, and Laois need that. The alternatives are no better, and in fact, do not deserve a place ahead of Moore in my opinion. None of them, maybe Kingston aside, have proven themselves at county level. We don't have choices here

town1980

So I'm talking scutter? I said he is a brilliant club footballer but he is not an inter county footballer I stand by that , what age is he ? John surgu thought  the same sob did Mike quirke so what are you on about high fielder get sick if you want it's all about facts he is not an inter county player no more than ten other good club footballers take your club hat off crusty 🥸😎