2021 National Football League

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, December 21, 2020, 06:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macker15

Laois should win well. Clare missing 7/8 bodies from last year. Were hammered by Offaly and Limerick in recent weeks.

Laoiseabu

Quote from: macker15 on May 16, 2021, 08:38:18 AM
Laois should win well. Clare missing 7/8 bodies from last year. Were hammered by Offaly and Limerick in recent weeks.

You are only blowing smoke up our arses. The only big losses that Clare have since last year are Gary Brennan and Gordon Kelly . They have a strong half foward line with Pearse Lillis , Eoin Cleary and the returning Jamie Malone who missed the game last year . I'm predicting Laois to win by 3 or 4 points if we keep OCarroll and Donie Kingston fed with a good supply of ball .

SCFC

Who are the 7 or 8? Two retired. Who else?

Helix.

Quote from: macker15 on May 16, 2021, 05:00:43 PM
Laois 9/2 and with the wind. Have stuck a sneaker 20 on it.
Looks like a wasted 20quid. Absolutely awful so far.

macker15

Quote from: SCFC on May 16, 2021, 01:23:53 PM

Who are the 7 or 8? Two retired. Who else?

Eamon Tubridy,  Dean Ryan, sean O'Donoghue,  Eimhin Courtney and Aaron Fitzgerald

vetoldthe

All the good vibes coming out of the camp all week
yet we were clueless today questions need to be
asked about this management team do they know
how to coach and improve this team we were in
div.2 for the last few years and we should be getting
better we looked like a div.3 team today
its just not good enough.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: vetoldthe on May 16, 2021, 06:51:38 PM
Have looked like a Div.3 at best for years. Same players, same results. No pace and no emerging talent. Old servants doing their best but not able to compete with younger athletic teams. Poxed to stay in Div.2 last year and almost certainly in trouble this year. Need to start replacing players with younger faster lads soon but rebuilding will be painful for a number of years.

Laoiseabu

Why should we be getting any better ? The likes of Timmons, Begley, Dillon, Lillis , OLoughlin, Donie Kingston, Walsh , Munnelly are not actually going to improve the age they are at now . I bought the GAA Go season pass yesterday so I got a good look at a few of the football matches over the weekend and I can safely say we were the slowest and most labored team I seen on show.
Before the game today I was tipping us to nick a win against Clare especially with Donie back but I was a bit shaken at how wrong I was . There was way more pace , way more physicality , way more hunger and organization in that Clare team compared to ours and that's without their best foward Jamie Malone going off injury at the start and two more key fowards Keelan Sexton and David Tubridy only playing a half each .
We were beaten all over the pitch . We were swamped at midfield and on breaks , their fowards had the beating of our backs but their Backs were able to hold our fowards and get numbers In around to turn over the ball . Some of the older lads don't have the legs anymore and none of the younger lads are putting their hand up . I'm not over at the centre of excellence every night looking at what's going on but we are physically not at the level needed to compete at intercounty against the teams that are in anyway above average .
Getting relegated back to division 3 is a matter of when not if . Laois have always produced nice footballers and we always will produce nice footballers but the way the modern game is gone you have to be more than just a nice footballer . Pace , athleticism and size are needed to compete at the highest level nowadays and we just simply don't have it now BUT it can be developed with the right Strength and conditioning training structures in place not to mention a team that is set up tactically well and hard to beat . That can all be developed. In Laois we urgently need to get these structures in place and start developing teams and players that can compete again before we fall off the cliff as a county altogether. When we got relegated to division 4 it should of been an eye opener that we needed to pull the finger and get our house in order again .
Two tough games up next against Cork and Kildare but all the players can do is do their best which I'm sure they will . Hopefully we can nick a win or two but it does look unlikely judging by today .

macker15

Quote from: Laoiseabu on May 16, 2021, 07:33:11 PM

Why did John Sugrue step away years ago? Though ye were going well under him. He is based in Portlaoise too?

Why should we be getting any better ? The likes of Timmons, Begley, Dillon, Lillis , OLoughlin, Donie Kingston, Walsh , Munnelly are not actually going to improve the age they are at now . I bought the GAA Go season pass yesterday so I got a good look at a few of the football matches over the weekend and I can safely say we were the slowest and most labored team I seen on show.
Before the game today I was tipping us to nick a win against Clare especially with Donie back but I was a bit shaken at how wrong I was . There was way more pace , way more physicality , way more hunger and organization in that Clare team compared to ours and that's without their best foward Jamie Malone going off injury at the start and two more key fowards Keelan Sexton and David Tubridy only playing a half each .
We were beaten all over the pitch . We were swamped at midfield and on breaks , their fowards had the beating of our backs but their Backs were able to hold our fowards and get numbers In around to turn over the ball . Some of the older lads don't have the legs anymore and none of the younger lads are putting their hand up . I'm not over at the centre of excellence every night looking at what's going on but we are physically not at the level needed to compete at intercounty against the teams that are in anyway above average .
Getting relegated back to division 3 is a matter of when not if . Laois have always produced nice footballers and we always will produce nice footballers but the way the modern game is gone you have to be more than just a nice footballer . Pace , athleticism and size are needed to compete at the highest level nowadays and we just simply don't have it now BUT it can be developed with the right Strength and conditioning training structures in place not to mention a team that is set up tactically well and hard to beat . That can all be developed. In Laois we urgently need to get these structures in place and start developing teams and players that can compete again before we fall off the cliff as a county altogether. When we got relegated to division 4 it should of been an eye opener that we needed to pull the finger and get our house in order again .
Two tough games up next against Cork and Kildare but all the players can do is do their best which I'm sure they will . Hopefully we can nick a win or two but it does look unlikely judging by today .

Laoiseabu

Quote from: macker15 on May 16, 2021, 07:37:38 PM

Why did John Sugrue step away years ago? Though ye were going well under him. He is based in Portlaoise too?

Yeah John Sugrue is based in Ratheniska a rural country club outside Portlaoise . When John was the manager we were in division 4 and division 3 . In these divisions we were playing weaker teams . If John was with us now In division 2 he would have the same problems as we do currently as we are playing against stronger teams as well as having an ageing team ourselves.

town1980

Am I wrong in stating as to why we are paying a load of lads outside Laois to deliver the same result as inside men costing half the amount challenge me if I'm wrong i can name 3/4 lads that could deliver the same result as today ,, one  selector from inside our county enough said

Keyser Söze

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Giovanni

I would agree with laoisabu here. But the first priority has to be midfield. We have two warriors playing there who will always give everything for the jersey. But their physical characteristics - especially speed and mobility - just aren't there. The problem is, of course, that they are probably the best that we've got although you would like to see some alternatives being tried.

The other thing was that I thought the workrate of several of the forwards was really poor. Of course Clare will look like Brazil if you don't bother chasing with the runners. I can't understand how fellas are allowed by the management team to get away with that at this level.

Really disappointing effort.

Butch Cassidy

I would agree with Giovanni, the work rate and tackling from the forwards was non existent. Do they do tackling drills? Evan and Donie are big men but only put a hand out and the defenders inevitably get fouled or waltz by, hard to watch. They aren't the only 2.

John and Kieran have been great servants to Laois and still have a big role to play but we badly need to some pace and power around the middle. Any suggestions? Sean Byrne maybe? I've been watching the club scene and unfortunately there doesn't look to be many alternatives which is for another day.

The next 2 games will be tough but I just hope the see the work rate increased big time, lot more movement in the forward line, quick ball and some more intensity. They are easy enough things to work on if the mindset is right.