Laois Club SHC 2020

Started by TheGiantSquid, July 02, 2020, 08:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman

Wow. My apologies to the good people of Rosenallis. Stunning performance and a thoroughly deserved win. So well-coached and they're only getting started at this level. This could well be a watershed moment rather than a once-off.
They'll trouble RE in the semi-final too.

Castletown would be mad to play that CB game. Concede now and focus on Ballinakill. Even a win does nothing for them.

Helix.

Quote from: merman on August 30, 2020, 06:25:41 PM
Wow. My apologies to the good people of Rosenallis. Stunning performance and a thoroughly deserved win. So well-coached and they're only getting started at this level. This could well be a watershed moment rather than a once-off.
They'll trouble RE in the semi-final too.

Castletown would be mad to play that CB game. Concede now and focus on Ballinakill. Even a win does nothing for them.

Great win for Rosenallis culmination of all hard work on their own at underage bearing fruit. Whether it's a once off remains to be seen. Abbeyleix beat Camross in championship few years back and never kicked on. Some kick in the arse for Camross. They can focus on their football exploits for the year now.
If Castletown concede they'd be automatically relegated so unlikely to happen.

merman

Is that a new rule?
Can't say I've ever heard it before.

Helix.

Quote from: merman on August 30, 2020, 06:48:01 PM
Is that a new rule?
Can't say I've ever heard it before.

Haven't seen it in writing but seen it has been done in Championship in Laois. Timahoe hurlers conceded one year in Intermediate and were automatically relegated. Almost certain Ballinakill 2nd team in Junior A and we're relegated once conceded.

Keyser Söze

I always thought you could concede once without being relegated. Twice and you were gone.
Eitherways I don't think a Senior club can entertain conceding to avoid a bad beating. If that's the road you are going down you'd be better off conceding the relegation final too.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

merman

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 30, 2020, 08:08:31 PM
I always thought you could concede once without being relegated. Twice and you were gone.
Eitherways I don't think a Senior club can entertain conceding to avoid a bad beating. If that's the road you are going down you'd be better off conceding the relegation final too.

Absolutely. Stupid of me for mentioning it.

I think the difference between this win for Rosenallis and Abbeyleix a few years ago is that Rosenallis appear to be backing this up with some fine underage prospects. They're already a pretty young team and have arguably the best minor hurler in the county coming through for next year.

Helix.

Quote from: merman on August 30, 2020, 08:14:29 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 30, 2020, 08:08:31 PM

Absolutely. Stupid of me for mentioning it.

I think the difference between this win for Rosenallis and Abbeyleix a few years ago is that Rosenallis appear to be backing this up with some fine underage prospects. They're already a pretty young team and have arguably the best minor hurler in the county coming through for next year.
No worries. You could concede a game in the league and not get relegated. Concede 2 games and relegation is the case.
Regarding Rosenallis if they can sustain it along with senior football where a majority play both. That's what'll determine long term in senior.

Downtheroad

Great result for Rosenallis this afternoon. Didn't  see it coming after the Ballinakill yesterday. Good for the championship as it has taken some of the predictability out of it.

TheGiantSquid

Great result for Rosenalis, Camross just weren't able to live with their speed and physicality especially in the middle third. Outfought and out-thought on the line too.

Abbeyleix result flattered them, Ballacolla looked fit and have a very potent forward line. The same with Borris Kk who put Balinakill to the sword.

Castletown were absolutely dreadful, zero plan of attack. With Slieve Bloom going well in the Prem. Intermediate the conversion might swith to if they can get a dash of blue on the side of their jerseys for the next amalgamation and not the other way around.

ottoman

Quote from: TheGiantSquid on August 31, 2020, 11:20:29 AM
Great result for Rosenalis, Camross just weren't able to live with their speed and physicality especially in the middle third. Outfought and out-thought on the line too.

Abbeyleix result flattered them, Ballacolla looked fit and have a very potent forward line. The same with Borris Kk who put Balinakill to the sword.

Castletown were absolutely dreadful, zero plan of attack. With Slieve Bloom going well in the Prem. Intermediate the conversion might swith to if they can get a dash of blue on the side of their jerseys for the next amalgamation and not the other way around.

What has happened to Castletown? I'm not expecting them to be the team of the 90/00's year in year out but how can they have gone this far for such hurling focused/committed parish.

blueandwhite1

Castletown have put out a good few strong juvenile teams over the last few years so I would expect that they will improve considerably but it won't be quick. Like all clubs with a small catchment area, it is very challenging to rise to the level that Castletown were at when they were completely dominant. They have a handful of good hurlers but far too many that are not at the standard, or too young. Still, I can't see them being a force again unless they fully amalgamate with SB.

Rathdowney Errill hammered them last year too. 

ottoman

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on September 01, 2020, 01:12:01 PM
Castletown have put out a good few strong juvenile teams over the last few years so I would expect that they will improve considerably but it won't be quick. Like all clubs with a small catchment area, it is very challenging to rise to the level that Castletown were at when they were completely dominant. They have a handful of good hurlers but far too many that are not at the standard, or too young. Still, I can't see them being a force again unless they fully amalgamate with SB.

I am no longer living at home so I would not be fully up to date on the juvenile scene but good to see that they are doing well at underage again. I was always a firm believer that Laois need 7/8 competitive senior clubs to complete consistently as Liam MacCarthy level. With R/E, Camross, B/K and C/B seemingly miles ahead of the pack, wouldn't it be great to have a strong Portloaise, Abbeyleix, Castletown and Haprs teams to throw in the mix.

On a plus side, great to see Rosenallis coming on. Sounds like there is been great work been done up there.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: ottoman on September 01, 2020, 02:17:26 PM

I am no longer living at home so I would not be fully up to date on the juvenile scene but good to see that they are doing well at underage again. I was always a firm believer that Laois need 7/8 competitive senior clubs to complete consistently as Liam MacCarthy level. With R/E, Camross, B/K and C/B seemingly miles ahead of the pack, wouldn't it be great to have a strong Portloaise, Abbeyleix, Castletown and Haprs teams to throw in the mix.

On a plus side, great to see Rosenallis coming on. Sounds like there is been great work been done up there.

Yes, the Rosenallis story is very impressive. Whatever about beating Camross in their first year senior in many years, putting them out of the championship so emphatically and probably getting to the semis is a whole different achievement. Their underage structures also suggest they can push on. Nobody will take them lightly in the last four, that's for sure.

ottoman

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on September 01, 2020, 02:34:57 PM
Quote from: ottoman on September 01, 2020, 02:17:26 PM

Yes, the Rosenallis story is very impressive. Whatever about beating Camross in their first year senior in many years, putting them out of the championship so emphatically and probably getting to the semis is a whole different achievement. Their underage structures also suggest they can push on. Nobody will take them lightly in the last four, that's for sure.

Yes hopefully they can sustain it now at underage for the next few years and stay competitive at senior. I remember during the 80's and 90's Clough Ballacolla would have been a junior to intermediate main stay and now they are one of the powerhouses in Laois, successful and competitive at all grades over a number a years. No reason why Rosenallis cant follow a similar trend.

burdizzo

Probably being a dual club will be a big hinderance in that regard. It's not so bad in a short year like this, but imagine playing week in week out over a whole season, league and championship. Hard to do.