Laois Senior Hurlers 2021

Started by mcwregor, January 28, 2021, 09:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Don't know how we won that. We were a distant second best for most of the match in every area of the field. Just goes to show that the likes of Laois, Antrim, Westmeath, Kerry and Carlow are all about the same level. I thought we played super for the last 10 minutes but it was the only spell where we looked better than Westmeath. PJ Scully really has turned into a proper inter county corner forward this year, and not just from frees. Cha is back to his old self too. The backs except Podge Delaney looked out of sorts. Jack Kelly is better in midfield and thankfully him and Roddy lifted their games when we needed them. Anyway, job done. Liam McCarthy and Division 1 hurling next year.

Giovanni

Very disappointed with the display last night. Like most people here, it's hard to understand how we actually won the game when really it was only Enda Rowland, Cha, Roddy, PJ Scully and to a lesser extent Willie Dunphy that played at or near their potential. Hard to win games when two-thirds of your team is not showing up. To me, the whole thing looked like a bit of a shambles at times. The use of Ciaran McEvoy as the free man while Fiachra Fennell was asked to play essentially a corner back role was a bit nuts to me (and in fairness was eventually corrected). Generally Westmeath looked like a team that knew what it as trying to do and was motivated to do it. We seemed lethargic.

Anyway, the job is done for this year but I do hope we'll see the real potential of the team next year. The whole thing does need a bit of a rethink in my opinion.

Giovanni

By the way, huge thanks to Matthew Whelan who has been a warrior for Laois for so long. He has always been a leader and kept going for Laois when it would have been much easier to quit. Deserves great credit for his service and I hope there will be ways to have that experience passed on.

redsetanta

Most has been said about the game. We got through in the end and that's what matters.

Hopefully with the calendar and matches back in place next year we'll have 5 league games and another 5 games in the championship. We will need a strong panel and maybe we'll get a couple of wins and not be fighting relegation again. 
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

We will probably be fighting relegation but sure if we are winning them, then what about it. Nice to be winning something! Of course I hope we can take a scalp or two but it is still a big ask to beat one of the top table teams.

The performance on Saturday shows how hard it is to keep it going every week. Except for the last 10 minutes we never looked like the team that played against Antrim or Waterford. In fact, we looked very much like the team that got hammered by Wexford. All that being said, I remember many times over the years where we lost games we should have won so nice to win one we might have lost!! Westmeath have some super hurlers for sure and plenty of physicality too.

Matthew Whelan is a legend. He gave some service over the years always coming back for more through hardship and good days. Hard to think of too many matches where he was not involved. I remember thinking his best days were behind him before Eddie Brennan took over but he seemed to get better and better instead of fading away. There should be some sort of 'medal of honour' for servants like Matthew and Ross Munnelly.

redsetanta

I like the medal of honour idea whatever way it was packaged and presented. Services to Laois GAA, honourary member, lifetime achievement etc. These lads should definitely never have to pay into O'Moore Park for as long as they want to go to Laois games.

There are others but not too many who have been involved for 15 years or more.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Giovanni

Great idea.

I remember looking at Pat Critchley paying into a match a couple of years ago and thinking about the various hangers on inside that hadn't paid a penny for years.  I'm more than certain that these lads would never look for special treatment but surely a token like this is the least that could be done.

Ogie

Cheddar to be re appointed smoothly as expected