Laois Club SHC 2020

Started by TheGiantSquid, July 02, 2020, 08:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGiantSquid

With the pandemic hopefully behind the nation which clubs does the forum see as been best suited to a shorter season? Will it suit the more physical sides like C/Ballacolla or R/E?
Good numbers reported around the county at club trainings, it should make for an interesting SHC

redsetanta

Good win for B/K last night albeit a little fortuitous with the goal near the end.

Any of you lads in O'Moore Park and how was it. Must have been like a ghost town with only 200 there in total.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

merman

Enjoyed the streaming last night.
Well done to all involved; I'm not sure how financially viable the service will be in the long-term but I really appreciated getting to watch a championship match after such a difficult and uncertain few months.

Decent performance from two good teams I felt. Neither hit anywhere near their best form but that's to be expected.

Keyser mentioned in another thread that this condensed year might suit Camross and CB....I actually think the opposite. I think both RE and BK have quite settled teams whereas Camross and CB have had to blood a raft of young players over the last couple of years. BK are arguably the most-settled team with only the addition of Enda Parlon to the full-back line and Emmet Jones standing in for PJ Scully.
I hope Matthew Whelan's injury isn't too serious because he'd be a monumental loss to a team that I think might be the one to beat.

I'd strongly fancy RE tonight. Back between 06-14, they were incredible at timing their form to have their strongest players peaking at the right time. I expect the same this year and I think they'll have too much steel at the back and firepower up front for a CB side who may need a bit of time to click into gear.

I think Ballinakill will have too much nous for Rosenallis tomorrow but I think both will hold their own at senior level.

Castletown and Abbeyleix is a very tough game to call. I've gone back and forth on this a few times but I have a feeling Abbeyleix might just pull off a little bit of a shock.

SpeculativeEffort

Would have liked to see how the last few minutes would have played out had that goal not dropped in. Camross had lost their grip a little but generally have a reputation for winning tight games although they have lost their last 2 cship games to late goals. Mark Dowling was the sharpest forward on view. Keenan still has a huge influence for them. I thought Andrew Collier did well also and Carroll was involved a lot. For Borris they got the win without being overly impressive. They need Whelan to have any chance of winning it out. Any word on his injury?

Keyser Söze

Posted on the wrong thread initially.
I think that despite losing last night Camross will be quietly confident of timing things to come good for an all out assault on a semi final in 6 weeks. Realistically they can now train for a block with that end point. I don't think losing last night changes anything & it means they will most likely meet RE in a semi final. They seem to have developed some very useful contacts on the challenge match scene over the past number of years and I'd expect to see a very finely tuned outfit in early September.

I don't know if Borris Kilcotton have a championship in them going on last night. It's almost like they lapse off when things are going well rather than ruthlessly driving home. Like Speculative Effort mentioned, I'd have fancied Camross before the fortuitous goal. Their half back line was very good on the ball last night and drove forward effectively, without perhaps covering behind them. Huge gaps existed in front of their full back line.

I don't think CLough Ballacolla will beat Rathdowney Errill tonight, but I think it's an ideal opportunity to blow out early at full tilt and get off to a good start performance wise. They have introduced a decent splattering of youth over the last few years and it's the way to go when things are starting to slip. Anything bar a bad beating here and they should be fine. There are enough wise heads here to know how big this game is for them, and there is enough time and latitude to recover from a defeat. They won't get things all their own way in both games to follow, but should come through. Is Tom Delaney hurling?

Rathdowney Errill remain the team to beat. Outstanding talent and packed with leaders. I'd expect a win tonight and comfortable victories to follow.

After that, I think Ballinakill will outwit Rosenallis. So much to admire in Rosenallis and a good sprinkling of hurlers, but I don't think they will have come up against anything to prepare them for the clever Ballinakill machine. Most teams have struggled with them over the past few years. There's still lots of hurling in them and Rosenallis may struggle for possession.

I think the final game is 100% 50-50 if that makes sense. Both have good hurlers and both have limitations on the fringes. Abbeyleix have the Indian sign over Castletown for the last 5 or 6 years and I think it may well continue in that vein. Will Reilly pick up Mullaney? If so, you could see both of them making an impact on the scoresheet, with Reilly in a position to do more damage. Could well be the difference.

This weekend;
Rathdowney Errill
Ballinakill
Abbeyleix

Semis
Rathdowney Errill v Camross
Borris Kilcotton v Clough Ballacolla

Final
RE v CB

Winner
RE
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

merman

Good synopsis Keyser.
I wouldn't bet against you being right.

Just to mention the streaming again, it's a really great service. There were a couple of little glitches at times but that could well be my broadband. I thought the commentators were good again.

RE will be slightly happier with the draw last night as they were nowhere near their best. They were reliant on frees but a lot of them were hard-earned and followed good play. They'll be content enough with their performance at the back, especially with Eric Killeen to come back in. A couple of other niggely injuries to Kelly and Kavanagh will clear up in time and they'll feel they're in a strong position now.

The stop-start nature of the game was frustrating but I think those types of games tend to suit CB. They will probably feel aggrieved at some of the decisions but I can't think of too many the ref got blatantly wrong to be honest. He's consistently inconsistent which frustrates teams.
They probably played the better hurling for most of the game but ill-discipline and profligacy in front of goal remain issues. It is easy to see how Picky Maher and Lee Cleere's absences really blunted them in the semi-final last year.
Interesting change in goals too; encouraging debut for Cathal Dunne who is highly-regarded.

I thought when RE went ahead that the game might slip away; that has been the issue with CB a lot over the last few years. But to their credit, they rallied well and dominated the closing period. If they can maintain that level of consistency and tidy-up a few areas, they'll be a threat this year.

I'd be shocked if either team stumbled against Castletown or Abbeyleix. They both look strong in a lot of areas and both should improve as the championship progresses.

Looking at potential county players, I thought Diarmuid Conway was outstanding marking Ross King. He might still be a bit light but he looks a really fine prospect.

Ogie

I actually thought Borris Kilcotton were full value for their win Thursday night, neither team hurled brilliantly, with Borris Kilcotton dominating the first 20 minutes, Camross the first 15 min of the second half,
Once BK got to grips with Mark Dowling the Camross scores dried up, I think Borris Kilcotton will be quiet satisfied, digging out the win without hurling brilliantly & missing Scully
Whereas Camross have a bit more head scratching to do, stick or twist, revert once again to the old guard of Burke, Holmes etc or give the youth their chance.

Rathdowney Errill will be very happy to have avoided defeat, for the first time in a few years they have an unsettled team with new positions for a few, carrying injuries and prep not been great, where CB prob needed the win to get true belief back in themselves, they had a full hand to play with and shout themselves in the foot, Abbeyleix will fancy a craic

Ballinakill Rosenallis was a very poor standard for Senior hurling, Ballinakill again will be sick they didn't hold out, had some decent newcomers at the back but young guys up front found it difficult today, still if they can get Camross & BK into a battle ..., I just don't think they have the firepower, especially without Cha firing on full

Abbeyleix were impressive, but Castletown again poor, younger players were good & confident for Abbeyleix, may give the other two big guns a bit of trouble .
Nothing changes regarding the make up of the final 4,
But hard to call who tops group between RE & CB.

A good start hopefully with better to come

SpeculativeEffort

From watching a few games and seeing team line-ups and subs used I think Castletown look weakest at the moment. A few starters that struggle at this level and very little coming in off the bench. Anything can happen but morale will have taken a knock and they facing two probable 10+ losses before relegation game. The relegation probables on otherside now have score difference to fight for so every minute counts and this could sharpen their hurling whichever team does end up in the relegation game.

Ogie

Ill go for
Clough Ballacolla
Borris Kilcotton
Camross
Rathdowney Errill

With Abbeyleix and Ballinakill causing the most trouble

Keyser Söze

Poor poor stuff today. Not the fault of the victors.
Score line flattered Abbeyleix in the first one.
I think there are unfortunately more of these days ahead for Ballinakill.

There is genuine potential for Borris Kilcotton's 21 point margin to be topped tomorrow, particularly in the Rathdowney Errill game.

The gap between the two tiers is sadly widening. Abbeyleix probably best placed to close it a little, but not on today's evidence.

I don't think today's games will do much for generating a large TV audience tomorrow (or in Round 3).

Downtheroad

Have to agree

I streamed the first game as I hoped Abbeyleix would make a game of it. Final margin barely reflected the gap between the teams. Any of the big 4 can win it but the gap is definitely widening.

merman

I really didn't think the gap was that large. It looks a chasm now with little change likely anytime soon.

Clough/Ballacolla have had two pretty-good performances but they've been wasteful at times and are prone to huge lapses in concentration. They're contenders but there are question marks for me. If they can find a way to win a championship; it might be their best yet.

Borris/Kilcotton had the game over within 5 mins. They looked fitter and stronger than 4 weeks ago. I've a feeling they are the best-conditioned team this year and they have 4 weeks now to fine-tune for a semi-final. They don't need to do any heavy training so injuries shouldn't be an issue.
I think they're the team to beat right now. They'll be hoping to avoid RE in a semi-final I reckon.

Don't see any surprises tomorrow. RE could put any score they want on Castletown. Rosenallis might be physically able to stick with Camross for a while but two 10+ deficits are very likely.

Helix.

Rosenallis giving Camross a good game so far!

Behindthefence

Camross out. Superb performance from Rosenallis. Thoroughly deserved.  Camross couldn't handle their pace

Keyser Söze

Many things aren't as bad as I was saying! Stupidly decided to hold onto my money today . Well done Rosenallis. I did think they had a chance of staying with Camross, but couldn't imagine them winning. Sounds like some performance. Often said it here, what a club!
The other result, while hardly surprising, must be bordering on a record defeat?
CB have an incentive now to absolutely wallop Castletown too with Camross gone from the other side.

It'll be down to a shootout between Ballinakill & Castletown to decide who is less worse!