Laois Hurling Team 00-20

Started by Keyser Söze, December 15, 2019, 12:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Following on from the football thread. Haven't put time into this so I'm surely going to offend!

Enda Rowland
Cahir Healy        Ryan Mullaney    John A Delaney
Matthew Whelan    Paul Cuddy     Joe Fitz
                Jack Kelly Niall Rigney
David Cuddy     Willie Hyland      Zane Keenan 
Tommy Fitz        Cha Dwyer        Mark Kavanagh

Honorable mentions are a cop out! A fair outfit
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

SpeculativeEffort

Target Man

Enda Rowland
John A Delaney
Matthew Whelan
Caher Healy
Joe Fitz
Paul Cuddy
Mick McEvoy
Paddy Purcell
James Walsh
Willie Hyland
James Young
Cha Dwyer
Damien Culleton
David Cuddy
Tommy Fitz

merman

Enda Rowland

John A Delaney
Matthew Whelan
Brian Campion

Joe Fitzpatrick
Paul Cuddy
Mick McEvoy

Paddy Purcell
James Walsh

Willie Hyland
Cha Dwyer
Cahir Healy

Tommy Fitzgerald
James Young
Damien Culliton

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 15, 2019, 12:32:59 PM
Following on from the football thread. Haven't put time into this so I'm surely going to offend!

Enda Rowland
Cahir Healy        Ryan Mullaney    John A Delaney
Matthew Whelan    Paul Cuddy     Joe Fitz
                Jack Kelly Niall Rigney
David Cuddy     Willie Hyland      Zane Keenan 
Tommy Fitz        Cha Dwyer        Mark Kavanagh

Honorable mentions are a cop out! A fair outfit

Young & Paddy Purcell two big mistakes.
I'll swap Purcell for Kelly & Young for Keenan.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Giovanni

I'd go for your updated team Keyser, except I'd switch Ryan Mullaney and Matthew Whelan.

If Lee Cleere has been a bit less injury prone over the last year or two, he might have snuck in ahead of Healy for me

Behindthefence

Rowland
Cyril Cuddy Brian Campion Mick Mc
Niall Rigney Paul Cuddy Joe Fitz
   James Young Cahir Healy
Cha Dwyer Zane Keenan Willie Hyland
Tommy Fitz Liam Tynan Ross King

Leixlad

Rowland

John A
Campion
Healy

Joe Fitz
Paul Cuddy
Matthew

Purcell
Young

Cha
Zane
Hyland

T Fitz
David Cuddy
Culliton

blueandwhite1

No Niall Rigney Leixlad? Almost completely aligned otherwise. However, I think the current crop will eclipse many of the lads on the list when they have enough service under their belts. Especially the likes of Aaron Dunphy, Mark Kavanagh, Ryan Mullaney, Podge Delaney, Lee Cleere, Jack Kelly and John Lennon.

For what it is worth:

Rowland

John A
Campion
Healy

Joe Fitz
Paul Cuddy
Rigney

Purcell
Young

Cha
Zane
Hyland

Roddy King
Liam Tynan
Damien Culliton

Leixlad

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on December 16, 2019, 02:37:39 PM
No Niall Rigney Leixlad? Almost completely aligned otherwise. However, I think the current crop will eclipse many of the lads on the list when they have enough service under their belts. Especially the likes of Aaron Dunphy, Mark Kavanagh, Ryan Mullaney, Podge Delaney, Lee Cleere, Jack Kelly and John Lennon.

For what it is worth:

Rowland

John A
Campion
Healy

Joe Fitz
Paul Cuddy
Rigney

Purcell
Young

Cha
Zane
Hyland

Roddy King
Liam Tynan
Damien Culliton

Not for me, probably is next in line. Agree that in 4/5 years we will see (hopefully) more of the current crop on the team.

On a side note - who would you consider our best hurler from that period?

Im young enough - but for me Joe fitz the best i have ever seen hurl with Laois. He would have been a superstar if he was a kilkenny/Tipp man. Always did it with R/E too which i admire.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Leixlad on December 17, 2019, 02:57:21 PM
Quote from: blueandwhite1 on December 16, 2019, 02:37:39 PM

For what it is worth:

Rowland

John A
Campion
Healy

Joe Fitz
Paul Cuddy
Rigney

Purcell
Young

Cha
Zane
Hyland

Roddy King
Liam Tynan
Damien Culliton

Not for me, probably is next in line. Agree that in 4/5 years we will see (hopefully) more of the current crop on the team.

On a side note - who would you consider our best hurler from that period?

Im young enough - but for me Joe fitz the best i have ever seen hurl with Laois. He would have been a superstar if he was a kilkenny/Tipp man. Always did it with R/E too which i admire.

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember that period very well. Niall Rigney and Paul Cuddy were the two best hurlers in my opinion in that era. Niall Rigney at his peak was a superstar. He got man of the match one day in Croke park after scoring something like 17 points against Kilkenny (I think we lost by 20 odd points). They were always dominant no matter what the opposition and no matter how badly everyone around them hurled (can't remember the year, was probably before 2000 in fairness). Damien Culliton and James Young were our best forwards of the era. Joe Fitz and Willie Hyland came later. Lads like these were the difference between us falling down into division 2 and the Christy Ring indefinitely. 

merman

I always find these generational comparisons very difficult.
I was a little young to fully appreciate Niall Rigney and there's certainly a recency-bias with some of my picks.
I fully expect Podge Delaney, Aaron Dunphy, Mark Kavanagh and Lee Cleere to be definites across the next decade for example.

In terms on players who I feel would have made Kilkenny panels; I've always advocated for two in particularly.
Joe Fitzpatrick would have hurled for Kilkenny; he wouldn't have penetrated that incredible half-back line but he would have been a panelist for a decade.
One player I really feel would have claimed all-stars is John A Delaney. He's somewhat less heralded but compared to a lot his contemporaries but he was a hell of a corner back and got the better of some excellent hurlers down through the years.

Behindthefence

A very hypothetical question but one that maybe shows our pool of players and the quality that we have produced over 20 years but here goes....

Would any of those teams picked above, with everyone in their prime, have definitely won an All-Ireland?

burdizzo

Up against that great Kilkenny team? Hardly.

clonadmad

That Laois team in its prime wouldn't have a chance against either Kk or Tipp,they wouldn't get a puck of it off the Kk backs if they faced them and the Tipp forwards would run some total up against them as well,in a game.

They would struggle physically against Limerick 18 and Galway 17 as well

The only one in the last 15 odd years,I could see them giving a game to would be Clare 13 but even then it could get ugly.