2019 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 10, 2019, 06:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: redsetanta on June 24, 2019, 01:48:25 PM
Fair play Bruce. You'll have to get over to Laois and catch a few Harps club games in August/September. Too late I would think for next Sundays final. Either that or start planning for next year. How did Laois Today get a hold of ya?
Early in the year, I emailed LaoisToday to thank and compliment them on their hurling coverage. Alan asked if I was Mossy Bruce. He wanted to do a story for their Laois Abroad (their section about Laois people overseas) and I told him I've never been to Laois. That really caught his interest.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Giovanni on June 24, 2019, 01:50:57 PM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on June 24, 2019, 01:26:02 PM
Not that I am even mad about hurling but if MossyBruce will come we should do a GoFundMe.

Mossy?
Extremely thoughtful, lads.
I'll be getting back there, next year or so.  :)
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

HURLING1

Mad Mentor

Quote from: HURLING1 on June 24, 2019, 05:00:08 PM
Brilliant story Mossy.

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on June 24, 2019, 04:12:00 PM
Not that I am even mad about hurling but if MossyBruce will come we should do a GoFundMe.

Mossy?
I’ll be getting back there, next year or so.  :)
As long as you're not a catfish playing us poor innocent Laois people. ;D

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Mad Mentor on June 24, 2019, 08:01:39 PM
Quote from: HURLING1 on June 24, 2019, 05:00:08 PM
Brilliant story Mossy.

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on June 24, 2019, 04:12:00 PM

Mossy?
I'll be getting back there, next year or so.  :)
As long as you're not a catfish playing us poor innocent Laois people. ;D
Damn! You're on to me.  :(
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Mossy Bruce

Has anyone heard of how Mark Kavanagh and the other lads out on injury are doing?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

merman

Mark Kav is back in full training.

MasterJ

It will be interesting to see what the team is for Sunday.

Ogie

Really excited and looking forward to Sunday, to be travelling to Croke Park at long last with our hurling community & travelling with hope & a chance.
Sounds like there is a huge Laois crowd travelling, trains booked out from Ballybrophy & Portlaoise, lots of clubs taking buses up.
Hopefully Eddie is able to keep the lads ready for the game and not just the big occasion

Few big calls to be made on the team, which management will be delighted with, their decisions this far have worked out and got the response they require, ie leaving Cha out after his sending off, making Foyle & Picky work harder to get into the 26/15. giving Podge Delaney enough game
time to settle in, etc

Having said all of the above I am nervous about Westmeath they have some fine hurlers and maybe even a few more  mature hurlers and won't want to lose two in a row.

A win Would obviously be brilliant  to keep hurling moving forward and to keep kids & adults seeing laois win in Croke Park on the hurling bandwagon !

My team for Sunday would be
                Enda
Donnacha Hartnett Matt Lee Cleere
Jack Kelly Ryan Mullaney Podge Delaney
John Lennon Paddy purcell
Aaron Dunphy Cha Picky
Roddy, Foyle, Mark Kav

Lee Cleere ahead of Joe Phelan on recent form, Eric Killeen &  Colm Stapleton also Hurling well
John Lennon improving every game, Eddie also seems keen on Conor Phelan and will likely see game time, I would not object to Roddy out midfield either with the accurate game we are playing
The man to lose out for up front for me would be Willie dunphy although he too hurled well in Kerry & I think Eddie prob will start him at the expense of Aaron or Foyle
I would start Aaron for his pace on that wing & we most certainly need someone to occupy Tommy Doyle on the edge of the Westmeath square, I know Cha may also do that, I think foyle would also free up cha more and as usual bring the others into the game.

Anyway, enjoy the build up and the day Laois Hurling people! Here's hoping we see laois men walking the steps about 3:15pm Sunday!!

blueandwhite1

I have also been imagining what the team will be. It is not that easy which is a great problem to have and a sign of how things have changed. It is going to be a full on match in Croker with lots of things at play such as nerves, experience playing on the surface, Westmeath's hunger having lost last year etc.

I think some things won't change. Joe Phelan will be preferred in one corner. Paddy Purcell will probably be at full forward as they have built a bit of a system around him there. I also doubt he will push Donnacha and Podge onto sides that they are less comfortable with.

My guess:
Rowland
Phelan Matt Hartnett
Delaney Mullaney Cleere
Kelly Lennon
A. Dunphy Cha Picky
Roddy Purcell Kavanagh

burdizzo

I think wing-back is probably Kelly's best position. I'd also agree w/ Ogie about Cleere for Phelan. Would be surprised to see Foyle starting, though I understand the rationale.

It looks like we'll have a good team, hurling well. You'd always be afraid, though! I hope they'll be confident, but not overly so.

MasterJ

My team prediction is:
1.Rowland
2.Cleere
3.Whelan
4.Hartnett
5.Kelly
6.Mullaney
7.Delaney
8.Lennon
9.Dwyer
10.A.Dunphy
11.W.Dunphy
12.Purcell
13.Kavanagh
14.Foyle
15.King

And it will give us some big names to come in off the bench such as Phelan, Lyons and Maher.

merman

Willie Dunphy is a certainty in my opinion. His work ethic is exceptional, sets a very physical tone for a lad his size.
I've a sneaky feeling Picky might have to make do with a spot on the bench. He seems to have responded very well to not starting the first 2 games, he could have sulked and walked but he's knuckled down and I think he'd be a serious option off the bench when things were opening up.

Seems so harsh on Joe Phelan but I'm inclined to agree with Ogie. I'd love to see Cleere on the wing but I think he's our best corner back right now. Jack Kelly, on current form, deserves a start, otherwise it'd have been a tight call between him and Joe for me.

Interesting where Aaron Dunphy starts.
I think he's going to be our best forward within the next couple of years. A brilliant talent.
I think John Lennon will start but if he was squeezed out, I wouldn't be completely flabbergasted if he didn't. The option to start Picky and move King to midfield would appeal personally.

For me:

Rowland

Hartnett
Matthew
Cleere

Podge
Mullaney
Kelly

Purcell
Lennon

Cha
Kavanagh
W Dunphy

A Dunphy
Foyle
Roddy

I cannot wait! See ye all in Quinns!

redsetanta

Merman if you like a pint give Quinn's a miss. For lads looking for a decent pint at a decent price with a bit of room head to the Findlater close to Dorset/Eccles st junction. It's my local and a good crowd. Bit longer of a walk and maybe not ideal if you're in Cusack stand but a good pub. Should be plenty of parking in St Joseph's place/parade beside it.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

G@@

Lovely article on LaoisToday there Bruce! Well done.

There's gonna be some Laois crowd in Croker on Sunday, lots of folk got their tickets. I really hope that the lads don't let the occasion get to them on Sunday, it's has all the ingredients for a great game.

Reading some of the suggestions on the teams really drives it home on how well Eddie Brennan has brought this group of lads on, together.

I'd be fearful of Jack Kelly starting though. I watched him closely in O'Moore Park on June 15th and while I couldn't fault his tenacious tackling and marking, he was very poor in his passing. There is something of an anti-climax of watching a lad burst through three Westmeath lads, and win a ball he has no right to, only to pass it back 20 yards to the opposition.

I hope Cha is back, his energy gives our game another dimension, he lifts everyone else around him.

Anyways, I'm sure Eddie has a plan. Looking forward to Sunday in Croker!!!
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!