The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: Laois man on March 09, 2022, 04:03:08 PM
So Trumrea and gone with Clonad this year after having a good year with Mrath last year getting to theU15A final. Why? In the U17 Cship you have Na fianna with 4 Clubs together a catchment area from just outside Mrath over nearly to kinntty and they are probably in the B aswell. Crazy shit and all short term fixes. County board should have a good look at themselves for allowing this to happen.

Trumera as a club weren't in with mountrath at u15A last year

Mountrath have players registered with them but the dogs in the street know they will be with Trumera the minute they leave minor with mountrath

Your right NaFianna will be let stay in the B and probably will win it

Completely agree with you though,the county board are completely at fault for what's going on and allowing this

We can't be too far away from a 7/8 club combination seeing as one juvenile football amalgamation has 5 clubs represented

Laois man

I understand some clubs haven't the numbers but going to different clubs every few years has no future. Maybe have something like a 10 or 12 aside for smaller clubs in a B grade then join another club to take part in the A championship. But there is a few clubs our there who don't bother working with there underage so it's a easy option to join up and let other people look after them. I haven't the answers what will solve this but parish rule would cut out alot of this. I see another big fball club have 6 clubs together at one grade like how can this happen.

Spiritof1915

Quote from: Laois man on March 09, 2022, 06:40:26 PM
I understand some clubs haven't the numbers but going to different clubs every few years has no future. Maybe have something like a 10 or 12 aside for smaller clubs in a B grade then join another club to take part in the A championship. But there is a few clubs our there who don't bother working with there underage so it's a easy option to join up and let other people look after them. I haven't the answers what will solve this but parish rule would cut out alot of this. I see another big fball club have 6 clubs together at one grade like how can this happen.
Completely agree with the last few comments. It's a cheap cheap fix to substitute for hard work on the training field. I've said this several times on here that if a team dosent have the required numbers there should be championships for 11 aside and 13 aside.  I think all clubs would favour that over winning a competition with 5 to 6 teams.  How are young players suppose to develop. A player at u15 or even u17 might not come good until he devolps fully. Is there any other serious hurling county like laois when it comes to amalgamations. The mind boggles

burdizzo

So Trumrea and gone with Clonad this year after having a good year with Mrath last year getting to theU15A final. Why? In the U17 Cship you have Na fianna with 4 Clubs together a catchment area from just outside Mrath over nearly to kinntty and they are probably in the B aswell. Crazy shit and all short term fixes. County board should have a good look at themselves for allowing this to happen.

No Trumera players w/ Raheen Parish Gaels at u/17.

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on March 09, 2022, 08:50:53 PM

No Trumera players w/ Raheen Parish Gaels at u/17.

So if they aren't in RPG as per the Cb list that was sent out in the last few days

Who are they with for 2022?

burdizzo

As you intimated, the "Trumera players" are playing w/ Mountrath at u17.
They're with Clonad at u15 and u13.

mcwregor

Some clubs really leave a lot to be desired. You look at Rosenallis who historically rarely put a team out on their own and are now putting out a team on their own at every grade. Great credit due to them for the hard work they are putting in. They are reaping the rewards at senior level in both codes as a result. While clubs on both sides of them (with much bigger numbers, but cant seem to retain them) have to join with two other clubs to make a team is a really poor reflection on them.

mcwregor

Heard an interview with cheddar after the Antrim game. The passion in his words and his voice is infectious and heart warming. He hit the drum yet again regarding support for weaker counties. He said we are getting no help so we are going to have to do it ourselves. The leinster councils move to assist with payment for clubs to put in place GPOs is a hugely positive step. All clubs in laois should be looking to get on board with this asap.

Ive mentioned it on here numerous times that we need a plan for laois hurling. The concept is simple and obvious what needs to be done but I feel we've been talking about this in laois for 30 years. Even back in Liam O Neills time (20 odd years ago) he had a plan for laois hurling, that wasn't followed through. Cheddar had a plan a couple of years ago, when he brought it to the co board he ending up leaving as senior manager in frustration.

Money is an obvious stumbling block but that can be worked on too and there are investors out there that would commit if a proper plan was in place. We have plenty of intelligent and passionate laois hurling people. We need them all sitting around a table trashing this out. Cheddar is our senior manager but id love to see himself and Shane Keegan heading up a plan for laois hurling. One that covers all bases and one that would over come any obstacles including financial. They would need help to delegate out jobs but there are people there can can carry out expertise specific tasks.

The clubs and crucially the schools need backing and help first and foremost.
Following that a major emphasis need to be put on our development squads. I wont be popular for suggesting this but i believe we need to take an elitist approach with our development squads! They need to be provided with the best possible coaching, athletic development(s&c), nutrition, sports psychology etc.
All of this must be done in a FUN manner. While the best should be provided for these young lads there should be little to no pressure put on them, at the ages of
12-17 it it can be serious to an extent but with a fun element, it can never get too serious. The is a balance there that should allow them to excel without getting fed up of the whole thing. I think we could learn a lot for soccer academies overseas who have kids from a very young age(a cohort from laois GAA should travel over and pick up ideas on how to do it). All of this should be coordinated and monitored by a Laois GDO. The idea would be that every kid in laois that has a hurl in his hand would want to be part of these academy squads. That's how it is in kilkenny, tipp etc, Its such an honour for them.
As i said the elitist approach probably wouldn't be popular but what do we do? We cant keep doing the same things, i.e NOTHING!

WE NEED A PLAN

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on March 09, 2022, 09:08:45 PM
As you intimated, the "Trumera players" are playing w/ Mountrath at u17.
They're with Clonad at u15 and u13.

Trumera have players registered as mountrath players at u13 and u15 also

Promoted out of intermediate last year

And they not having to coach any of their own juveniles

Some going all the same

And good luck to them for working the system to their advantage

Keyser Söze

Mentioning Shane Keegan in the same breath as Cheddar is quite flattering (unless you are Shane Keegan).

I've been arguing here for years about amalgamations.
The only flip side is that clubs will reap what they sow.

Certain clubs are heading the same way as the Catholic Church.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Laois man

Agree if clubs don't put in the long evenings in the field and the blitz most Sat's how do they expect to have juveniles coming through. If you have no juvenile set up how can you stay going at adult level.

Jd

Lads taking a cheap pop at the likes of trumers should really go out and see what they're dealing with. Why do you think there's only 4 or five playing with Mountrath???could it be possibly cos there are only 4 or 5 youngsters available maybe. Its easy to sit and cast judgement on a club from a position of relative strength but it's a credit to trumera that their adult club is so successful. To the likes of a small rural club 4 young fellas coming up have to be minded as best they can. I'm sure if there are trumera chaps playing with other clubs then you can be sure that there's a few from there involved coaching too.. 13 or 11 a side won't work for the likes of trumera but amalgamations do. It's getting the balance is the problem

burdizzo

clonadmad

Quote from: Jd on March 11, 2022, 01:47:48 PM
Lads taking a cheap pop at the likes of trumers should really go out and see what they're dealing with. Why do you think there's only 4 or five playing with Mountrath???could it be possibly cos there are only 4 or 5 youngsters available maybe. Its easy to sit and cast judgement on a club from a position of relative strength but it's a credit to trumera that their adult club is so successful. To the likes of a small rural club 4 young fellas coming up have to be minded as best they can. I'm sure if there are trumera chaps playing with other clubs then you can be sure that there's a few from there involved coaching too.. 13 or 11 a side won't work for the likes of trumera but amalgamations do. It's getting the balance is the problem

A quick solution for the likes of Trumera and a few others would be a parish rule at juvenile where you play within the parish in an amalgamation.

Trumera would retain their identity, play and train some of their time at home and chaps would be coached by their club mentors

This would apply to designated rural clubs

That would tidy up a certain amount of short term marriages of convenience.

Jd

Yes I'd agree that the amalgamation must be a long term one Stradbally parish gaels are 3 clubs joined for 30 years and St Pauls could be up to 50 and both seem to get on well. Amalgamations should be sensible (parish or adjoining clubs) and have a minimum term of time possibly 10 years which allows clubs to exist yet develop players at underage for the future