clonadmad

Rosenallis I'd fancy to win the minor A also

Mountrath after winning the minor B for the second year in a row

Camross to win the u15 A

Mountrath to win the u15 B

The harps to win the u13 A

Prt or mountrath to win the u13 B

redsetanta

With such a great spread between teams over the age groups and not one dominating what is the standard like?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

burdizzo

Well, Mountrath do seem strong in all the B comps. Some fancy Port for the u15 B. In any case, Mountrath and Port. will be in the final.

Keyser Söze

Good to see some progress in Mountrath. With all of the amalgamations and "temporary little arrangements" B competitions have become exceptionally weak however.
In the past you'd find at least 2 of the two bigger clubs in the B in any given year when they had a less talented group or small numbers.
For better or worse this doesn't happen any more and the B competitions have very few participants.
Still, all they can do is try to generate interest etc. and try to arrest the slide they are on.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on September 24, 2020, 10:35:12 AM
Well, Mountrath do seem strong in all the B comps. Some fancy Port for the u15 B. In any case, Mountrath and Port. will be in the final.

I'd concur with you on that

Good to see both Port and St.Pauls continuing to hurl up the age grades

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on September 24, 2020, 12:03:41 PM
Good to see some progress in Mountrath. With all of the amalgamations and "temporary little arrangements" B competitions have become exceptionally weak however.
In the past you'd find at least 2 of the two bigger clubs in the B in any given year when they had a less talented group or small numbers.
For better or worse this doesn't happen any more and the B competitions have very few participants.
Still, all they can do is try to generate interest etc. and try to arrest the slide they are on.

What clubs have "temporary little arrangements" in the B at u13/15 or minor this year

The only one which can be accused of that is Na fianna whoshould have Ballyfin mountmellick and Clonaslee standing on their own in the b but they are hurling A in that amalgamation  this year?

Keyser Söze

No, I meant that clubs aren't standing alone and entering B competitions anymore, they are joining up (some long term and some temporarily) to hurl in A competitions instead. Not that teams are joining up and hurling in the B.
I can see that it wasn't worded very clearly.

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on September 24, 2020, 12:12:40 PM
No, I meant that clubs aren't standing alone and entering B competitions anymore, they are joining up (some long term and some temporarily) to hurl in A competitions instead. Not that teams are joining up and hurling in the B.
I can see that it wasn't worded very clearly.

I don't think it's a bad thing that clubs are ambitious and want to hurl A

It's better that than trying to duck A and win a handy cup in the B

I'd always be of the opinion better to be competitive in the A rather than winning the B if you could
At all in order to develop lads long term.

Short term amalgamations though should be addressed though,we have one this year as opposed to other years when you could have a plethora of them.

I'd also encourage a development competition at u11 and u13 for the football clubs where they have to put in hurling teams.

We need to broaden our hurling base,it's minuscule  in comparison to every other Liam mcCarthy county

Keyser Söze

Ye we have that discussion round & round every few weeks.
I have no problem with join ups that are sensible, necessary, sustainable and long term. I'd see the likes of RPG in those terms. In fact I'd encourage these.
I have made my feelings known on one grade or one year arrangements. If you want to do that to compete in the A, you should first have to show that it's not possible to compete on your own in the B. That has been my position for quite a while!
Starting to sound like my opinion carries clout, apologies, it most definitely doesn't! Not even in my own house!!

Mad Mentor

Congratulations to Abbeyleix on winning the Minor A hurling championship last night. This was probably the keenest contested championship for years and there are a lot of disappointed teams out there. Unlike most years, probably seven of the ten teams fancied their chances and it took a very good team to win it.
The focus will now turn to the county minor team who face Offaly on the 17th. There is huge competition for places on the starting team and hopefully they will go well.

marty34

Quote from: Mad Mentor on October 03, 2020, 09:18:15 AM
Congratulations to Abbeyleix on winning the Minor A hurling championship last night. This was probably the keenest contested championship for years and there are a lot of disappointed teams out there. Unlike most years, probably seven of the ten teams fancied their chances and it took a very good team to win it.
The focus will now turn to the county minor team who face Offaly on the 17th. There is huge competition for places on the starting team and hopefully they will go well.

Is Derek Mc Grath still involved with the minors?

Spiritof1915

Derek mc grath still heavily involved. Offaly first if they get over that, then the winners of antrim/kildare which would lead them to a potential semi final against Dublin. This group have beaten all the major counties in leinster on the way up including kilkenny so with the talented panel involved its a real chance.
As regards the county final last night it was a real war of attrition and the Harps seemed to be affected  more by the 6 day turn around. The future is bright for both clubs

SpeculativeEffort

Underage is all about development and progressing these young players, creating a pathway to senior hurling, a lifelong attitude of trying to improve and enjoying the challenge. We would all love a successful minor team but lets not put too much pressure on these lads.

clonadmad

Anyone have details of the actual Panel?

SCFC

Certainly down one after Jim O'Connor had a bad knee injury last night in minor final.