MPs unite to fight law that will make abortions available in Northern Ireland

Started by Maguire01, July 24, 2008, 10:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the abortion act be extended to Northern Ireland?

Yes
47 (44.8%)
No
58 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Maguire01

From The Belfast Telegraph...
QuoteMPs unite to fight law that will make abortions available in Northern Ireland

By Sam Lister
Thursday, 24 July 2008

Ulster's politicians last night vowed to fight an attempt to force a vote on proposals to extend British abortion laws to Northern Ireland "all the way".

Despite fierce opposition from the DUP, Sinn Fein, SDLP and the UUP, pro-choice MPs have tabled an amendment on the highly contentious Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill that would allow women the right to an abortion on the NHS.

Although it was widely denied, the DUP was understood to have been assured there would not be any changes in the province by Prime Minister Gordon Brown during his successful attempt to woo the party in return for support on the 42-day detention crunch vote.

But London MP Diane Abbott, who is behind the amendment, believes it has a strong chance of winning enough support to become law.

"When it comes to abortion rights, Northern Ireland women are effectively second-class citizens," she said.

"They don't have the same rights as women in England and Wales and Scotland. They even have fewer rights than women in the Republic of Ireland.

"The main way if you want to have an abortion, you have to travel to the UK and get one privately.

"We think we have got a very good chance of getting the amendment through.

"There is a very clear majority in Parliament for a woman's right to choose and we believe there is a majority to extend that to Northern Ireland."

Abortion is illegal in Northern Ireland unless it is deemed that the life of the mother is in danger or that the pregnancy would cause serious risk to the woman's physical or mental health.

Pro-choice campaigners point out that rape and incest victims are expected to continue the pregnancy and give birth to the child. Around 50,000 women have travelled to England for the procedure over the last 40 years — with costs now estimated to reach around £2,000 once travel and accommodation has been included.

The new clause would extend the Abortion Act 1967, which means terminations could be carried out up to 24 weeks.

But the amendment could fall at the first hurdle if Speaker Michael Martin chooses not to select it when the bill reaches its next stage in the autumn.

It is the 30th tabled so far with more expected in the first weeks back after summer recess and those chosen tend to have been the subject of discussions in committee or ones which the Government has carried work out on.

The main political parties in Northern Ireland and the four main churches have written to MPs opposing any change in the law.

Yesterday the DUP's Upper Bann MP David Simpson uncovered figures about the scale of teenage abortion in England and Wales.

More than 12,000 terminations were carried out on girls aged 15 or under in the last three years and a further 17,500 carried out on 16 year olds.

He said: "There can be little doubt that a return to Direct Rule would only serve to increase both the pressure for such an extension and the chances of success.

"This move also demonstrates that there is not only no support across the political divide in Northern Ireland for it, but that there is active opposition right across Northern Ireland society.

"Every MP in the House of Commons knows full well that if it were up to local politicians and local people this would not take place.

"I and my party will fight such an attempt all the way through the House if necessary."

Leader of the SDLP Mark Durkan added: "The SDLP, with full democratic conscience, will do everything we can to oppose these plans and will do so on behalf of the people who have elected us and on behalf of those human beings who can be saved if we can effectively curb and hold back the extension of this Act.

"In doing so, we will be seeking to maintain and preserve the fundamental integrity of humanity which goes to the heart of human values and the protection of life. "Furthermore, this issue once again highlights why it is important that the devolution of justice and policing powers take place as soon as possible.

I know there have been some discussions on the topic of abortion here before, but this seems very relevant and timely at the minute. It's a very sensitive area and I know there are a lot of very conservative people on this board (and i don't use that term in a derogatory manner).

I've kept the poll as a simple yes or no option, but what i'm really intrested in is the fact that all 4 of the main parties in the north are united on this. Do they really reflect the views of the population here? If you're 'pro-choice', are you annoyed with the position of your elected representative? Are you surprised with the position of Sinn Féin or the SDLP?

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Chrisowc

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Yes I Would

The No men are running away with it!!
Introducing an abortion act would just lead to an even greater free for all amongst our young people where sexual activity is concerned!

Maguire01

Quote from: Yes I Would on July 24, 2008, 10:41:51 PM
The No men are running away with it!!
Introducing an abortion act would just lead to an even greater free for all amongst our young people where sexual activity is concerned!
Do you really think young girls will be more promiscuous just because they can have an abortion if the fall pregnant? Do you not think abortion would still be seen as a very traumatic experience for a young girl/woman to have to go through?

And just out of interest, do you think you would feel any different if you were a woman?

As for a 'don't know' option, why? Surely this issue has been around long enough for people to have formed an opinion? And surely if you're not definitely 'anti-abortion', you're pro-choice, i.e. happy to let people make their own choices when it isn't directly effecting you.

pintsofguinness

QuoteDo you really think young girls will be more promiscuous just because they can have an abortion if the fall pregnant? Do you not think abortion would still be seen as a very traumatic experience for a young girl/woman to have to go through?

God love them.  ::)

Minder

Slightly off topic,a friends missus is pregnant and is in the hospital at the minute and when she went in was 23 weeks and 3 days pregnant, she was told if she had to deliver the baby before it was 24 weeks they (the hospital) would not resucitate it but if it was 24 weeks they would. So 23 weeks and 6 days = do not resusitate, 24 weeks = resusitate  ???
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Maguire01

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 24, 2008, 10:55:48 PM
QuoteDo you really think young girls will be more promiscuous just because they can have an abortion if the fall pregnant? Do you not think abortion would still be seen as a very traumatic experience for a young girl/woman to have to go through?

So you think someone takes such a decision lightly?

Yes I Would

With the young ones running around these days Maguire i honestly dont know whether they would realise the implications or would even give a shit about the physical and psychological implications of what they are putting themselves through.
I know i am genarilising here but i honestly feel that many young girls with the safety net of an abortion may either be sexually exploited by young men, or may somehow feel that with abortion so publically available locally that it is normal!!
It i believe would only add to a further lowering of morals and ethics within society. I believe no abortion act serves the greater good.
If i was a young woman i believ i would still hold the same opinion!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 24, 2008, 11:01:29 PM

I'd say a lot don't but regardless of that don't try to paint them as the victims because that's not what they are (at least 98-99% of them)

Maguire01

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 24, 2008, 11:03:36 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 24, 2008, 11:01:29 PM

I'd say a lot don't but regardless of that don't try to paint them as the victims because that's not what they are (at least 98-99% of them)
I'm not trying to paint them as victims. I just don't think most girls would become more promiscuous because there's now 'another option' available. Would a girl decide not to use a condom, because, well if the worst happens, you can always have a termination?

Also, i'd assume a significant number of abortions (at the early stage) would not require an 'invasive procedure', but drugs. If you're opposed to that, are you also opposed to the morning after pill? Where is the line drawn?

Any chance of a view from some of the female posters?

Donagh

A shocking statistic I heard on the radio earlier was that in Britain, 1 in 4 pregnancies are aborted. Is this what we have have in line for here? 

Yes I Would

pintsofguinness

QuoteAlso, i'd assume a significant number of abortions (at the early stage) would not require an 'invasive procedure', but drugs. If you're opposed to that, are you also opposed to the morning after pill? Where is the line drawn?
Yes

Why is a female opinion so relevant?  Why is there opinion worth more than men's?

Down Gael

Downgirl, thats a very tired, old argument. At the end of the day abortion is murder. Two wrongs dont make a right.