MPs unite to fight law that will make abortions available in Northern Ireland

Started by Maguire01, July 24, 2008, 10:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the abortion act be extended to Northern Ireland?

Yes
47 (44.8%)
No
58 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Down Gael

I am in no way condoning rape, but the argument you are using to excuse the murder of an unborn baby is a bit thin. How many women get pregnant in this country as a result of rape each year? 10? 5? less? You can dress it up any way you like, call it a termination if it makes you feel any better, but it is still taking a human life and that should not be allowed in any society.
Why should the abortion laws be changed in NI? the people of NI dont want it, their politicians dont, should we be in line with the rest of the UK on this?

ludermor

stephenite

Down Gael - When is a foetus a baby?

Down Girl - While it's always disappointing when someone drags this debate with use of simple emotive language straight away - it's hard to put across your argument rationally when someone is calling you a murderer.

ludermor

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 24, 2008, 11:17:13 PM
Why is a female opinion so relevant?  Why is there opinion worth more than men's?
In all circumstances?
Because in the vast majority of cases it is the girl left on her own. Its very esy for the fella to f**k off, the gir can rarely do this. If anyone knows any girl who has got pregrant during college invariably it has disrupted their lives, for fellas it makes f**k all difference

ludermor

but them cells become life, so stopping them stops life surely. In the eyes of those who believe.

Puckoon

Quote from: downgirl on July 25, 2008, 12:12:48 AM
So it's ok for a girl to be raped, possibly a young girl, who wouldn't be fit to look after the child?  What is the point in having a child if you are not going to be fit physically, mentally or financially to look after it?????

Yes Downgirl - it is. It is crueller to terminate that clump of cells as it is clearly a human being from the first mitotic division. ???
Also - two wrongs dont make a right.  ::)

Pick either of those arguments or make up some of your own cliches - chances are you will hear them all before this thread has run its course

By the way - slapper isnt really a fair term to use for a young girl who more often than not gets herself encouraged at best or pushed at worst into sex. She's made life hard enough for herself without being bandied a slapper. Not to mention Im sure some people on this board have been affected by the pregnancy of a 14 year old sister/daughter/cousin/mother - so lets not try and castigate them even further with name calling.

Quote from: Down Gael on July 25, 2008, 12:23:40 AM
I am in no way condoning rape, but the argument you are using to excuse the murder of an unborn baby is a bit thin. How many women get pregnant in this country as a result of rape each year? 10? 5? less? You can dress it up any way you like, call it a termination if it makes you feel any better, but it is still taking a human life and that should not be allowed in any society.
Why should the abortion laws be changed in NI? the people of NI dont want it, their politicians dont, should we be in line with the rest of the UK on this?

Quite simply - the people of NI who need abortions, or may some day need abortions, or who are sympathetic to the plight of a pregant woman (who for reasons other than laziness or the desire to use abortion as a freely available form of contraception) who needs an abortion do want abortion to be legalized. Unfortunately if this requires a national vote - the act would never get passed. The numbers in favour/in need/who've travelled for abortion in the past are just not enough to over come the numbers of those who are prepared to voice all the anti abortion arguments and then bury their heads in the sand when we see the kids abandoned, mis-treated, unloved, living in poverty, raised in abusive homes all because the mother didnt want them, couldnt care for them. No point in closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. The country really is living in cuckoo land - the number of women sailing over the water for abortion is the only thing that would change with the availability of abortion in NI.

Puckoon

Actually downgirl - ill go one further - a 14 year old is a child. Not a slapper. You really should rephrase that.

downgirl

cells -> tissues -> organs -> organism

That's the sequence of events

But youse are all against me so it doesn't really matter what I think sure it doesn't

Puckoon

You must have missed my main point - Im very much pro choice. I did disagree with your choice of the vernacular.

Im not against anyone - but Ill disagree with certain opinions.

stephenite

I actually got my Downs wrong - I wasn't accusing Down Girl of emotive language it was Down Gael, I don't think you can have such a debate when someone is calling someone else a murderer, or using phrases like that

Puckoon

Eh - not really. Id rather have a decent debate about any topic with posters able to put both points across rather than drastic over reaction followed by yelling in caps lock. Are you my wife in disguise?

Put those posts back up - you have valid points - but there is a sensitivity issue there. Throwin out degrogatory language about children who make drastic mistakes was probably going to be pulled by someone. Its very easy for all of us in armchair positions to think less of young women who behave promiscuously. Truth is - they dont get pregnant by themselves but few of us think less of the young fellas. The reality is that those young kids pay long and hard for their carelessness.

No offence taken nor meant.

downgirl

Ok well basically what I was saying is if a pregnancy occurs through rape the woman should have the choice to have an abortion

ludermor

Thats fair Downgirl.
Personally I'm pro choice no matter matter what the circumstances. If people don't want kids i they they should have the choice not to have kids., I just don't have this notion of life being the most important thing on earth. I cant get my head around people who are against abortion but not the pill ( or the condom) surely if your beliefs are that strong then all life is sacred?

Pangurban

Im disgusted at the licence given to the pro abortion lobby too describe themselves as pro-choice. Why are they never challenged on this. We are all pro choice,the issue is at what point the choice should be made, pre or post conception. When the wrong choice is made and an unwanted pregnancy ensues, there is a personal responsibility on the Boy and Girl involved to accept the responsibility and consequences of their action. Blame and retribution should not be imposed on the innocent child, whose right to life is as sacred as theirs. This is not a societal problem it is a personal one, though as in so many areas of life those who lack any sense of responsibility look for society to bail them out of situations created by their fecklessness.

J70

Quote from: ludermor on July 25, 2008, 12:55:18 AM
Thats fair Downgirl.
Personally I'm pro choice no matter matter what the circumstances. If people don't want kids i they they should have the choice not to have kids., I just don't have this notion of life being the most important thing on earth. I cant get my head around people who are against abortion but not the pill ( or the condom) surely if your beliefs are that strong then all life is sacred?

"No matter what the circumstances"?

You think its ok for abortion to be used as a form of birth control?

You don't see a difference between preventing fertilization (and thus the beginning of a new life) by blocking sperm/ova from passing into the uterus and killing an embryo or a foetus?

If people don't want to have kids, then either use contraceptives and be a man and deal with the consequences should something fail, or else keep your bloody trousers on!