Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Ollie on October 02, 2010, 06:33:00 PM
Very little talk about the junior final and minor reply.

I think the junior final is to close to call. Both teams are capable of winning it on the day. Should be a good game. Haven't seen much of the junior championship so can't say more than that!
Minor reply is gonna be similar. Both teams have some very gifted young talent although The Gaels are missing Paul and Andrew Graham (Mickeys younger brothers) due to there sisters wedding. The county board refused to re-fix the game to a latter date which I thought was a bit mean although typical of them considering it was a Gaels request. Still should be a good encounter. St.Joseph are a powerful side with some big men. The midfield in both teams are quite strong and I feel whoever wins that battle will probably win the game.   

The co board really are out to get ye, imagine not changing the match for a wedding - bastards.

Westside

I think Swad will take the final comfortably. Lost last year because they had their goalie sent off and conceded 4 goals. McKiernan the Cunninghams, Robbie Prior and Curran would get a place on a lot of Senior panels. If they don't lose their heads I think they should win by 4-5. Munchies earlier win means nothing, Swad had decided not to play football that day, corner forwards standing with their arms folded etc..

And the rest of West Cavan will be delighted to see them out of both Junior Championship and Leauge!!! :D

Breffni_Yank

Well lads I missed the county final cos of work commitments but I am glad to see Kingscourt get their win and I know they will have enjoyed it immensely. I wouldn't know a whole lot about Junior either this weekend but I can tell you now the men from outside Virginia fancy their chances.

Turning away from that has there been any word out of the new management at all in times of late? Trials? Plans? A trainer?

I saw there someone mentioned a 7's type tournament and I think it is a great idea for a start. It means straightaway that a back has twice the work to do because half the men are on the field and the forward will get twice as much ball if he goes looking for it.

Obviously after you narrow down the selection then you resort to 15 a side.

Has last year's panel officially be dissolved? I think it should. Time to draw a line under the whole Carr era and start a fresh although I am sure many of them will return. God he really did make us worse than Keoghan. I don't think he can ever get another IC job again. The Rossies did warn me a few years back that I should be worried - I didn't really believe them at the time.

I have seen a handful of club games since I got home and to be honest I haven't been overly impressed. I hope Val or Terry have a good eye for a player.

Dougal

i think the 7 a side games are more for the players terry and val havent seen in the champ so far this year.it's good to know that a manger intends on seeing the best players from every club in the county before the closed season.at least if we do bad this year we know the manager put plenty of effort into it,unlike tommy.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

boojangles

Swad won the Junior by 5 or 6. Better team won. They were on top for most of the game and were good value for their win. Robbie Prior was easily the best player on the field but the MOTM award went to Gearoid Mc Kiernan. ::)

Cavan Gaels won the Minor replay with the Graham brothers playing. St Joes had their midfielder sent off early in the 1st half when Joes were 5 or 6 points up and slowly but surely the Gaels got back into it and won pulliing up. By far the better team and really should have had it wrapped up the 1st day.
Pauric Sexton,an Under 16, got the MOTM and was full deserving of it, kicking 3 vital points in a row in the 2nd half when all around him seemed to be kicking wides.
Kevin Bouchier from Arva at times nearly bet the Gaels on his own and although he is slightly greedy he has serious potential and lets hope we see him in the Blue of Cavan next year.

Westside

Swad eased through as predicted. I agree with boojangles Robbie Prior should have got MOTM. One of the Munchie waterboys sprayed water in his face at the sideline in the beginning of the second half. If it had been any other Swad player there would have been a riot. Robbie walked away and within minutes had kicked 2 outstanding scores. He's a fantastic player. Gearoid was very good though and has great potential. As does Chris Curran.

The Minor game was a terrible standard.. The Gaels played the extra man in the middle of the field for the second half and cleared up. Bouchier hit a goal and a few points at the beginning of the second half that showed his huge potential but he faded then and didn't make great use of possession in the second half. Numbers 4 and 10 were very good for the Gaels. 

put-it-up-again

Who the hell picks the MOTM award though? Stevie Wonder ;D

There is no doubting McKiernan's potential though, if we keep him and Givney on the straight and narrow I would be fairly confident we would have one of the top midfields in the country in a few years. I really think they can be that good.

Prior has been class for year's but with the players Swad have they really should be a good Intermediate side. Their spine is better than most teams.

rodney trotter

Robbie prior hit two outstanding points inside a minute in the second half..classy forward he is about 34 now. bouchier was very good in first half but missed some handy frees.. but he was the best forward on show,he was up against it when they went down to 14 men as they dropped a lad back.. there is a lad from my club niall mckiernan who has been called into the senior panel,he is going to be top class player if his head is right.. he is only gone 19 i would rate more than georid mckiernan,although grd mckn is very good..

put-it-up-again

I doubt Niall has been called into the senior panel to be honest because I don't think such a thing exists at the minute  ::) Although I may be wrong.

He might well be in for trials but I think Niall's time would be better served trying to settle into the u21 set-up this year and develop there in a less pressurized environment. There is no doubt he has potential and himself and Gearoid will make an excellent midfield for the u21's next year. One will need to learn how to defend though ;D

beer baron

Robbie Prior has been a very good footballer for a number of years but by God he was 1 of the most annoying men i've ever played against,going down as if he was shot every 2 minutes,surprised he didn't  go down injured after getting water squirted at him today! Fair play to Swad anyway!

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: put-it-up-again on October 03, 2010, 08:27:37 PM
I doubt Niall has been called into the senior panel to be honest because I don't think such a thing exists at the minute  ::) Although I may be wrong.

He might well be in for trials but I think Niall's time would be better served trying to settle into the u21 set-up this year and develop there in a less pressurized environment. There is no doubt he has potential and himself and Gearoid will make an excellent midfield for the u21's next year. One will need to learn how to defend though ;D
Yeah I reckon Niall looks very good but if he's 19 I'd leave him with the U-21s after xmas and if he progresses through the spring then so be it.

boojangles

You picking the Under 21 team now Put it Up?? I'd hope there would be a few boys that would have a thing or 2 to say about that comment.

Westside

Quote from: put-it-up-again on October 03, 2010, 07:53:53 PM
Who the hell picks the MOTM award though? Stevie Wonder ;D

There is no doubting McKiernan's potential though, if we keep him and Givney on the straight and narrow I would be fairly confident we would have one of the top midfields in the country in a few years. I really think they can be that good.

Prior has been class for year's but with the players Swad have they really should be a good Intermediate side. Their spine is better than most teams.

I can't comment on Givney but McKiernan's temperament and attitude is still questionable.. All credit to him today though he took lots of abuse and didn't loose the cool. I thought the ref was poor, gave Munchies a lot of decisions. Also the linesman near the stand for the minor game must have been from Cavan Gaels! Called everything for the Gaels..

put-it-up-again

Quote from: boojangles on October 03, 2010, 11:03:07 PM

You picking the Under 21 team now Put it Up?? I'd hope there would be a few boys that would have a thing or 2 to say about that comment.

Yeah i got the managers job there last week. Apparently myself and Lawrence of Knockbride were the pick of the bunch. I hear you are being looked at for the minor job BooJ so keep your head up although if Myles can commit he might just pip you because of his experience.

I would be very surprised if the two McKiernan's aren't midfield next year. Two big men that can play a bit of ball. Cavan football should be looking to develop as many of them as possible in my opinion. But sure then again what do i know  :-[

If Gearoid is fit next year and not playing at centrefield for the 21's, I will walk around Drumalee in the nip with my dog, how is that for you  :D

Dougal

congrats to the gaels,today,kept going,even though they looked to be bet at half time.red card was very harsh but thats the way things go.the gaels have been the best team in minor for years.we will come back stronger next year and hopefully win some silverwere.we've been close for four years,if this team team doesnt win something i dont know what i'll do.hopefully more teams will put in the sane effort the gaels do and really push for a county tiltle.

p.s. you mite aswell ignore everything i just said cos im fulll.  ;D
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!