Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence of Knockbride

put-it-up-again

I think it was Jimmy Galligan from Killygarry but I'm really not sure..

What's the predictions for today lads?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Gaels and I'm not sure about the other one but I can feel the power of the board pushing Killeshandra over the line. :)

put-it-up-again

I don't think Killeshandra have the firepower without Dec Mck.

The Gaels bench should be enough to see them through.

We'l find out soon enough  ;D

boojangles

Quote from: put-it-up-again on September 12, 2010, 11:20:17 AM
I think it was Jimmy Galligan from Killygarry but I'm really not sure..

What's the predictions for today lads?

Gaels and Drumlane

mylestheslasher

Drumlane beat Leaguers by 1 point.

Celt_Man

Hotel Kilmore Senior Football Championship Semi Final
Cavan Gaels  1-13 0-10 Mullahoran   

Hotel Kilmore Intermediate Football Championship Quarter Final Replay
Drumlane  0-10 1-6 Killeshandra   

ACFL Division 1
Redhills  3-19 0-6 Lavey 
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Lawrence of Knockbride

Well the Gaels had all their players back for the semi, except Walsh which wasn't any disadvantage. Mullahoran ran into a 4 point lead but it was level at half-time and it all became too inevitable. I saw King hopping to and from his seat but not the other two lads.
If we're talking county lads we could take most of the gaels team and most of their bench. Seriously I reckon the bench was as strong. Niall Murray was very impressive as was Dominic Reilly at MF. I reckon he should get a run.
Drumlane were the better team in the first game which was tight and competitive. A strong spine to their team without any real stars. It's a pity Barry Corrigan lies down crying so much but there you go.
What about the league? Would that result send Denn and Crosserlough down?

Celt_Man

Think that could be Crosserlough gone now and if score difference comes into it Denn are busted too - Redhills are on 8 pts, Denn on 6 but Redhills are 62 points better off than Denn!

Kingscourt  14 13 1 0 243 157 86 26
Cavan Gaels  14 12 2 0 229 139 90 24
Mullahoran  14 9 4 1 199 161 38 19
Ballinagh  14 8 5 1 221 182 39 17
Killygarry  14 8 5 1 168 159 9 17
Lacken  14 7 4 3 201 192 9 17
Belturbet  14 8 5 1 158 153 5 17
Castlerahan  14 7 6 1 173 174 -1 15
Gowna  14 7 7 0 183 171 12 14
Killeshandra  14 5 8 1 183 206 -23 11
Lavey  14 5 8 1 164 207 -43 11
Cuchullains  14 4 9 1 192 220 -28 9
Ramor United  14 4 9 1 177 208 -31 9
Redhills  14 4 10 0 187 213 -26 8
Denn  14 3 11 0 137 225 -88 6
Crosserlough  14 2 12 0 138 186 -48 4

put-it-up-again

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 12, 2010, 07:10:05 PM
Well the Gaels had all their players back for the semi, except Walsh which wasn't any disadvantage. Mullahoran ran into a 4 point lead but it was level at half-time and it all became too inevitable. I saw King hopping to and from his seat but not the other two lads.
If we're talking county lads we could take most of the gaels team and most of their bench. Seriously I reckon the bench was as strong. Niall Murray was very impressive as was Dominic Reilly at MF. I reckon he should get a run.
Drumlane were the better team in the first game which was tight and competitive. A strong spine to their team without any real stars. It's a pity Barry Corrigan lies down crying so much but there you go.

Mullahoran were short short on quaility in my opinion. At 5 to 2 up they had a brilliant goal chance with 3 on 1 but they squandered it. That woulda put them 6 ahead but instead they went in level at half-time. Agree on Murray, thought he had an excellent game. The Cavan Gaels FB line is there for the taking on that showing. Both corner-backs were poor and were only marking two 18 year olds. Collins struggled at full-back as well in my opinion.

Lyng was very quiet, so too was Dunne. McClarey is a real livewire and its bringing on lads like him that helps them win games late on.

Anyone else see Declan Meehan and one of the other Gaels lads swinging their handbags at each other?

In the intermediate game Killeshandra were desperately short up front. Drumlane were there for the taking today.

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up-again on September 12, 2010, 08:49:52 PM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 12, 2010, 07:10:05 PM

Mullahoran were short short on quaility in my opinion. At 5 to 2 up they had a brilliant goal chance with 3 on 1 but they squandered it. That woulda put them 6 ahead but instead they went in level at half-time. Agree on Murray, thought he had an excellent game. The Cavan Gaels FB line is there for the taking on that showing. Both corner-backs were poor and were only marking two 18 year olds. Collins struggled at full-back as well in my opinion.

Lyng was very quiet, so too was Dunne. McClarey is a real livewire and its bringing on lads like him that helps them win games late on.

Anyone else see Declan Meehan and one of the other Gaels lads swinging their handbags at each other?

In the intermediate game Killeshandra were desperately short up front. Drumlane were there for the taking today.

What now?

anglocelt39

If we're talking county lads we could take most of the gaels team and most of their bench. Seriously I reckon the bench was as strong.

That, in a nutshell seems to define the dilemna we are in at inter county level.  A team that have dominated club football at a level comparable to Cross and St Galls, according to our representative on this site they won't be all that pushed about committing if Terry Hyland is on board (he is) and they weren't too chuffed about Donal or Tommy either. Terry has done about as much as any Cavan man when it comes to competing outside the county at club and county level over the last few years so where that leaves us I'm not sure. The Gaels lads aren't exactly loaded down with Ulster medals so that makes the fact that they have a problem committing to the County team a bit more disappointing, to me anyway. they might actually develop a bit more as players from a bit of time in an inter county panel.

Bottom line, hope to christ a few of them can be convinced to committ with the new management team.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Breffni_Yank

I made the trip down to Breffni today and expected an action packed game. To be honest I thought it was pretty poor.

Here is the Gaels team today. I'm just not convinced that a few of them coming in will save us.

Elliot - Better than what was there this year I admit but didnt inspire today
Dallan McCormack - Nope
Collins - Didn't impress today
Marc Leddy - Nope
Pauric Smith - Decent but I would pick McCutcheon or someone like that ahead of him
Chesty - Can certainly contribute
Gavin Duffy - He is solid. Would he greatly improve us - I'm not sure
Dominic Reily - Worth a look but is he better than Givney or Gearoid McKiernan?
Enda King - Doesn't have the physique for midfield at IC level
Forde - Has done his fair share for the county already
Lyng - Has been hot and cold for the last few years
Niall Smith - Lightning pace and no doubt he will eventually make it.
Johnston - His point in the second half was class
Niall Murray - Same as Smith. Both will be big players for the u21's next year but I'm not sure about throwing them into the senior set-up where there are no real leaders to look after them and urge them on.
Martin Dunne - Barely got a touch today

Lawrence of Knockbride

Fair enough analysis BY but Dominic would definitely add to our current MF and Duffy would add competition in the back-line, remember he was FB for a lot of the year in the league and we're not overflowing with full backs.
So along with Chesty and 2 U-21s that's a fair addition from one club to go with Johnston and Lyng if he wants to play.
Declan Meehan had a go at King probably cos King gave him shit for not doing something with the ball. King would probably be hard to play with as he never shuts his mouth but in saying that Meehan was only on. It gave the crowd something to cheer about.

put-it-up-again

I have to admit I know Murray and Smith are only young but I certainly think they could contribute for the seniors in a role of impact subs. Imagine being a tired defender and with ten minutes to go Smith comes on to you. At that stage he can cut a defence in half in a second. I think the new management will slowly look to introduce those kind of players rather than throwing them in at the deep end - which is what has happened before and ruined a few lads. Barry Watters is just one that comes to mind.

Duffy is very reliable and a good natural defender. He certainly could contribute and I think Chesty could bring a bit of natural leadership - something that is really missing in my view. I thought Leddy was poor myself to be honest Thatstheball but I would agree that King could play for Cavan in a scrappy WF role. His distribution is normally pretty sound and there is no doubting his work-rate.

I think any that has any interest in Cavan football has to forget who the management is and what has gone on in the past and jsut get in there and give it a go. You can't improve the situation if you are not involved. It' shockin easy to watch from the stand and say the whole thing is a joke!