Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

At least it looks like there's a few new names that will at least get a trial. Thanks to all posters for keeping us exiles informed as well.

Can I assume that Tierney's participation in these games means his injuries might stand up to a tentative return to intercounty football? Before his final breakdown, Eamon Coleman really had him motoring as our target man full-forward, he even had a burst of pace for a big man as I recall. I understand he's been playing away with the club, I for one would be delighted to see him back in an intercounty shirt and the worst of his injuries behind him.

anglocelt39

Never give up hope Maniac but I wonder at this stage if John Tierney has got to the stage where it isn't going to happen at inter county level due to fitness/injuries etc. He lined out in the last Ulster Final we contested and has had very sporadic appearances in the County Jersey since then. A pity but what might be of more hope is the fact that one or two of these trial games seem to be well contested and throwing up one or two possible options for next year.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

Aye he might be able to plough away with the club with little or no recurrences, intercounty training and hitting etc. might be beyond him. Still, if he's taking part in these trial games he must hopeful of a return or why bother otherwise?

Celt_Man

Well he is in college in London for the year so that could put the dampener on things...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Just back from the Div 2 final in Lacken.Ramor 1-7 Redhills 0-4.I only seen the 2nd half so I cant comment too much.Firstly Congrats to Hollow Man,the stronger team won on the day,conditions were terrible with the wind and rain playing havoc.As my father said on the way out-Redhills tried to play Summer football on a Winters day.Ramor played the more direct football and their stronger back-line kept it tight.Ramor also counteracted Redhils 3rd midfielder Ciaran West well by letting his man(Damien Barkey) roam up the field,Barkey hit 1-1 from play in the 2nd half.Redhills are still very young and will take time to adapt to Senior football,Ramor on the other hand looked that bit more experienced and more composed on the ball.
An interesting thing to note is that now for the 1st time since the league format was changed in the county about 6? years ago,there will be no Senior team playing in Division 2.Ramor and Redhills are promoted and Knockbride have been relegated from Senior.

boojangles

Laragh beat Swad,2-12 to 1-7 I think it was.Swad started very well hitting 1-2 in 1st few minutes but faded very badly after.Laragh deserved their win.So its Swad V Drumalee next week to see who goes Junior. Have to say that Oliver Og from Mullahoran who refereed the game was an absolute disgrace in the 2nd half.I know Oliver personally and he is a nice fella but how the man is still getting games of such importance is a terrible indictment of the County Board.Is it gonna take some young lad to get his leg broke or jaw broke before the County Board do something about the standard of refereeing? we have some quality referees in the county who referee at Inter-county level,but when they show up to referee a Club league game,they think they are above it and end up making a balls of it.Joe McQuillan automatically springs to mind there.Some referees are only out to settle old scores and have a hatred of some clubs.Then we have the like of Oliver Og who should never be let near a football field.Don't get me wrong,A referees job is a thankless one and they are never gonna please everybody but some of the standard of refereeing I have seen this year would do nothing to encourage young lads to stick at the game.

Swadman

You are spot on Boojangles. Laragh were the better team on the day. Swad looked like a team that hadn't played football for 3 months, (come to think of it, they hadn't)  but Oliver Og didn't help maters. He red carded M.C. for lip in the C/ship game v Kill and yesterday did the same after disalowing a goal for Swad. Up to that there wasn't a card or tick for some hefty personal fouling by both sides. "Some referees are only out to settle old scores and have a hatred of some clubs." you said, smacks of it with our Oliver. He lost the plot ater that and blew it up 2 to 3 mins early, not that Swad were ever going to get back into it at that stage.
See you next week!!!

mylestheslasher

Anyone know when the county is going back training. It is normally November when they start doing a bit in the gym isn't it.

CC1

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 10, 2008, 12:23:38 PM
Anyone know when the county is going back training. It is normally November when they start doing a bit in the gym isn't it.
Not sure myself. I do know that there are some rules against starting training so early now though. Seemingly any county breaching these rules will be fined.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Homer

Our own HaiseMan already has a thread on this http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=10038.0

Can't see it making much difference as counties will always find a way of getting around this. You can expect the county boys to be in the gym come December.

Denn Forever

Went down memory lane or rather the road from Ballyhaise to Redhills and went past the old Changing rooms for the Flagon Field (I think).  Always remember it during Summer evenings when playing underage football.  Bordered on one side by a fence and the other by a river hidden by trees.  How long since Ballyhaise moved into town?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cornafean

Down played Cavan to officially open their new field in the village in early summer 1992. They were AI champions at the time.

They may have had been in the new field for a little while prior to its official opening.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

boojangles

Remember playing one of my 1st games of football out in the old Flaggon bottom as we used to call it.No dressing rooms that I remember.Some change for Ballyhaise to move to the new field.I believe that Ballyhaise is the 2nd widest pitch in the country.Not sure obviously but I was definitely told that.

cavan4ever

Quote from: boojangles on November 11, 2008, 02:19:53 PM
Remember playing one of my 1st games of football out in the old Flaggon bottom as we used to call it.No dressing rooms that I remember.Some change for Ballyhaise to move to the new field.I believe that Ballyhaise is the 2nd widest pitch in the country.Not sure obviously but I was definitely told that.

Wouldn't be suprised if it was.  Crossmaglen have a new pitch now which is suposed to be longer and wider than Croke Park.

mylestheslasher

I always hated playing on that huge pitch of theirs. Far too much running on it for my liking. Anyone remember Templeports old field before they moved into the fancy new one or even Shannon Gaels one. Jaysus, they were kips.