Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

I'd expect Olé to get the job at this stage and it's hard to look past him but I've a little nag in the back of my head that everything is falling into the owners laps again. The restless natives have been quietened for now and it'll take something pretty fecking bad to get them to turn on Ole. The Dof talked about has failed to materialize, will we have Woodward doing the shopping again this Summer? Always remember that winning things or being the best we possibly can isn't the goal, Champions League every second year will suffice. 

NAG1

Quote from: Boycey on March 12, 2019, 11:18:46 AM
I'd expect Olé to get the job at this stage and it's hard to look past him but I've a little nag in the back of my head that everything is falling into the owners laps again. The restless natives have been quietened for now and it'll take something pretty fecking bad to get them to turn on Ole. The Dof talked about has failed to materialize, will we have Woodward doing the shopping again this Summer? Always remember that winning things or being the best we possibly can isn't the goal, Champions League every second year will suffice.

To be fair Ole I think he is a shrewd enough operator and knowing the structure of the club well enough, will want to do his own transfer dealings.

Why would you take a job where someone else picks your players and you are just a coach not a manager? If you are going to get the sack because of the signings you make, you would want to make those signings so you can at least say it was in your own hands.

Obviously he doesnt do the negotiations, but then again that wouldnt be in the gift of a DoF either. It would always come down to the money man at some point or other.

magpie seanie

I think the club do want to bring in a DoF and will at some stage but have probably learned the lessons of getting the wrong guys in because of timing. Regardless I'd expect Ole to be backed in the transfer market in the summer. Already he has shown a willingness to work hard to get the best out of players so the boards justified fears over the previous manager's approach aren't a concern now. I personally feel that a lot of Woodward's supposed incompetence could simply have been players/agents (a) trying to extract the most money possible from a semi deperate situation and/or (b) players being unwilling to play for tactically rigid coaches like LVG and Mourinho. You really don't want the players in (a) and (b) is now not an issue. Of course it's not ideal but perhaps it's not as bad as we think....just as the squad isn't as bad as most people believed in early December.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: NAG1 on March 12, 2019, 12:23:33 PM

To be fair Ole I think he is a shrewd enough operator and knowing the structure of the club well enough, will want to do his own transfer dealings.

Why would you take a job where someone else picks your players and you are just a coach not a manager? If you are going to get the sack because of the signings you make, you would want to make those signings so you can at least say it was in your own hands.

Obviously he doesnt do the negotiations, but then again that wouldnt be in the gift of a DoF either. It would always come down to the money man at some point or other.

I've no doubt he'll be backed but to what extent I don't know. I'd like to see 3 really top players come in at centre half midfield and right winger plus another defender who can cover at fullback. I can't see that happening though.

I heard something on the radio about a swap deal for Sanchez & Bale, I'd take that as long as United as United bought quality players in the 2 other areas.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 12, 2019, 12:58:12 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 12, 2019, 12:23:33 PM

I've no doubt he'll be backed but to what extent I don't know. I'd like to see 3 really top players come in at centre half midfield and right winger plus another defender who can cover at fullback. I can't see that happening though.

I heard something on the radio about a swap deal for Sanchez & Bale, I'd take that as long as United as United bought quality players in the 2 other areas.

Yes, I'd go along with that. Think United have to give up on Sanchez. Ole has tried everything and he's not improving at all. Still not sure I see Real going for it even though they might want rid of Bale. Sanchez has been terrible in his time at United.

Cunny Funt

Bale turns 30 next season is already showing signs of declining, is injury prone and would be on wages as high as Sanchez, So i don't see the sense of bringing him in and PSG will likely be eyeing him up especially if they sell both Neymar and Mbappe to Real Madrid. United would be better off signing someone like Jadon Sancho.

I think one big money centre back signing will made. The likes of Koulibaly,De Ligt should be top of the list.

NAG1

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 12, 2019, 01:50:43 PM
Bale turns 30 next season is already showing signs of declining, is injury prone and would be on wages as high as Sanchez, So i don't see the sense of bringing him in and PSG will likely be eyeing him up especially if they sell both Neymar and Mbappe to Real Madrid. United would be better off signing someone like Jadon Sancho.

I think one big money centre back signing will made. The likes of Koulibaly,De Ligt should be top of the list.

Even two years ago I would have taken Bale, but just dont see the value in bringing him in at this stage either.

As MS said the squad isnt as bad as has been made to look under previous managers, but fact is they are short in a few areas of being top level. I dont think we need to tell Ole that as he will know better than most.

I expect a bit of a clear out along and a good few additions in the summer.

magpie seanie

Bale is a player I've always wanted to come to United. I didn't realise he was now that age but he'd certainly contribute a lot more than Sanchez.

Maroon Manc

Just think it might suit both players and both clubs, none of them can be happy at the moment. Neither club has a hope of shifting any player to another European Club with what their earning unless their allowed to leave for free. United need a right sided attacking player, might be a year too early for Sancho and United have 2 promising youngster who can play there so might just be the sensible option.

Boycey

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 12, 2019, 04:25:19 PM
Just think it might suit both players and both clubs, none of them can be happy at the moment. Neither club has a hope of shifting any player to another European Club with what their earning unless their allowed to leave for free. United need a right sided attacking player, might be a year too early for Sancho and United have 2 promising youngster who can play there so might just be the sensible option.

Yup definitely works from that perspective. These things are usually paper talk but there might be milage in this one.

cadhlancian

Lads , never mind about spending the money , you all seem to think that if the moneys there , Utd can buy whoever they want. If you don't qualify for the Champions league , it will be hard to draw the quality of player required. City will spend again, as will Liverpool , and Arsenal you'd expect to improve in his second year. I'd imagine Spurs will spend money this summer, and tbh, if they've champions league football and Poch is still there, they'd have the leg up on Utd on certain players.
Chelsea , who f**king knows what will happen there.

screenexile

Quote from: cadhlancian on March 13, 2019, 01:22:33 AM
Lads , never mind about spending the money , you all seem to think that if the moneys there , Utd can buy whoever they want. If you don't qualify for the Champions league , it will be hard to draw the quality of player required. City will spend again, as will Liverpool , and Arsenal you'd expect to improve in his second year. I'd imagine Spurs will spend money this summer, and tbh, if they've champions league football and Poch is still there, they'd have the leg up on Utd on certain players.

Yeah but United though!!

nrico2006

Nobody is going to Spurs ahead of United.  As for spending money this summer, Spurs will be lucky to spend £50 million given the stadium cost.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 13, 2019, 08:53:05 AM

Nobody is going to Spurs ahead of United. 
A player who wants half the wages might.

GJL

Utd have proved before that they can sign big name players without champions league football. Though at this stage I'd still be quite hopeful they will be in it next season.