Eurovision final here we come!!

Started by rrhf, May 08, 2018, 10:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone girl

Thought the german song was the best. Rest were pure shite as usual.  ::)

Asal Mor

Quote from: sid waddell on May 13, 2018, 11:06:39 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 13, 2018, 10:40:29 PM
It was a joke and pretty f**king harmless for a bunch of white Irish people on a GAA forum.

Go write a strongly worded letter to Sacha Baron Cohen or Seth McFarlane who've spent the best part of 15 years telling the same kind of jokes to the mass market.
I'm not familiar with Seth MacFarlane, but I would assume he is Jewish given his first name.

Sacha Baron Cohen can tell all the jokes about Jews that he likes, because he is one.

The thing is, his humour is designed to not only to laugh at his own historically oppressed ethnic group, which is he is entitled to do by virtue of being a member of that group, but to ridicule anti-semitism and anti-semites. And you clearly don't even get that.

Amy Schumer and Sarah Silverman can tell jokes about Jews and rape jokes, because they are both Jewish and women, and thus can use dark, confrontational humour to challenge and ridicule anti-semitism and misogynism.

A Muslim comedian gets to make jokes about Muslims. A disabled comedian gets to tell jokes about disabled people.

It's very clear you fail to understand the difference betwen that type of humour, and, say, Bernard Manning. Or Kevin Myers. Or Ron Atkinson.

Or this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoLPLsQbdt0
Sid, if you heard such a joke from a comedian you're not familiar with, would you need to check his religious and ethnical background so you could accurately weigh up whether the joke is funny or offensive, before deciding whether to laugh heartily or write a thesis about racism in comedy?

Taylor

Quote from: tyrone girl on May 14, 2018, 09:33:40 AM
Thought the german song was the best. Rest were pure shite as usual.  ::)

Was that the song about the Da who had passed away?

tyrone girl

Yeah thats the one as far as i recall.

tyrone girl

That israeli blade singing that winning song absolutely turned me no harm to her  :-[

sid waddell

Quote from: Taylor on May 14, 2018, 09:04:47 AM
Quote from: trileacman on May 14, 2018, 12:59:18 AM
It was a joke and pretty f**king harmless for a bunch of white Irish people on a GAA forum.

Go write a strongly worded letter to Sacha Baron Cohen or Seth McFarlane who've spent the best part of 15 years telling the same kind of jokes to the mass market.
I'm not familiar with Seth MacFarlane, but I would assume he is Jewish given his first name.

Sacha Baron Cohen can tell all the jokes about Jews that he likes, because he is one.

The thing is, his humour is designed to not only to laugh at his own historically oppressed ethnic group, which is he is entitled to do by virtue of being a member of that group, but to ridicule anti-semitism and anti-semites. And you clearly don't even get that.

Amy Schumer and Sarah Silverman can tell jokes about Jews and rape jokes, because they are both Jewish and women, and thus can use dark, confrontational humour to challenge and ridicule anti-semitism and misogynism.

A Muslim comedian gets to make jokes about Muslims. A disabled comedian gets to tell jokes about disabled people.

It's very clear you fail to understand the difference betwen that type of humour, and, say, Bernard Manning. Or Kevin Myers. Or Ron Atkinson.

Or this.

Is Frankie Boyle on the racist list? What about Tommy Tiernan?

Yes and yes.
Anyone who says anything funny or witty about a person/country/race is on the list.

Jokes should all be like..........'Did you hear the joke about the bin........its rubbish' or maybe that is being offensive to bins?
Do Frankie Boyle and Tommy Tiernan deliberately vilify all people of certain ethnic groups merely because they are members of a certain ethnic group, in the way some posters on this site vilify Jews merely because they are Jews?

Sometimes on this forum one has to do a double take to make sure it's not a BNP forum.

Taylor

Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 10:09:38 AM

Or this.

Yes and yes.
Anyone who says anything funny or witty about a person/country/race is on the list.

Jokes should all be like..........'Did you hear the joke about the bin........its rubbish' or maybe that is being offensive to bins?
Do Frankie Boyle and Tommy Tiernan deliberately vilify all people of certain ethnic groups merely because they are members of a certain ethnic group, in the way some posters on this site vilify Jews merely because they are Jews?

Sometimes on this forum one has to do a double take to make sure it's not a BNP forum.

Hmmmm.....they tell jokes about certain ethnic groups in their routine absolutely.

Asking do they vilify them would be a matter of opinion

bennydorano

Quote from: Asal Mor on May 14, 2018, 09:48:59 AM

Or this.

Sid, if you heard such a joke from a comedian you're not familiar with, would you need to check his religious and ethnical background so you could accurately weigh up whether the joke is funny or offensive, before deciding whether to laugh heartily or write a thesis about racism in comedy?
Excellent point and shows up the absurdity of some of the positions here. Funny is funny end of - Dougal's original joke here that sprouted this bleeting match was just shit tho.

Dougal Maguire

Perhaps you might tell me who, if anyone, this joke would be offensive to:
Did you hear about the nun who fell asleep outside a synagogue ?
When she woke up next morning there was a heavy dew on her
Careful now

sid waddell

Quote from: Taylor on May 14, 2018, 10:47:07 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 10:09:38 AM

Or this.

Yes and yes.

Hmmmm.....they tell jokes about certain ethnic groups in their routine absolutely.

Asking do they vilify them would be a matter of opinion
Read back over the last couple of pages of this thread and tell me whether there has been outright anti-semitism on it.

Remember now, several posters have defended what was said.

Think carefully.

Dougal Maguire

Just clarify what you define as being anti Semitic
Careful now

Dougal Maguire

I dislike Israelis because they steal Palestinians land and shoot dead unarmed protesters. Is that anti Semitic?
Careful now

sid waddell

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 14, 2018, 12:14:49 PM
Just clarify what you define as being anti Semitic
You started it off.

But your trope, anti-semitic as it was, is actually pretty mild compared to the Oliver J. Flanagan-esque rant that followed.

Quote from: Windmill abu on May 13, 2018, 08:26:37 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 13, 2018, 11:52:19 AM
Quote from: grounded on May 13, 2018, 11:19:42 AM
Quote from: gallsman on May 13, 2018, 10:51:34 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 13, 2018, 12:35:06 AM
Quote from: gallsman on May 13, 2018, 12:30:18 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 13, 2018, 12:12:04 AM
Smile will be on the other side of Eurovision's face tomorrow when they discover every telephone vote cast for Israel reversed the charges

Really? A jews are tight with money joke?
Yes. A bit of light humour. Have you some point to make?

Yes. It was a joke in poor taste that reinforces old antisemitic tropes.

That sort of thing is ok around here though.

Shi#te, thats me in trouble then. Told a similar joke at work last week but it was a scottish person instead.
         Come to think of it, someone else was slagging off Cavan(sorry anyone from Cavan on here) people for being tight during another discussion. I shall be reporting him first thing tomorrow.
Has there been a genocide perpetrated against Scottish people or Cavan people, in which the portrayal of them as "money grabbers" was used to mobilise the widespread, systemic hatred and prejudice against them which enables genocide to happen?

The Halocaust was carried out by the Nazis but the Jews try to make everybody feel guilty for it. Anyone criticizing the Jews is accused of antisemitism to the point that they can carry out atrocities of their own with impunity.

As far as the money grabber title is concerned, it is well deserved

Quote from: BennyCake on May 13, 2018, 12:09:40 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 13, 2018, 01:18:42 AM
What country did win?

A country that doesn't even exist, and is not even in Europe.

Sums up Eurovision really.

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 14, 2018, 12:17:45 PM
I dislike Israelis because they steal Palestinians land and shoot dead unarmed protesters. Is that anti Semitic?

If you object to the behaviour of the Israeli government and armed forces, as I do, that's clearly not anti-semitism.

If vilify Jews in general because of the actions of the Israeli government, that's anti-semitism.

If you vilify Jews in general as being "money grabbers", yes, that is very definitely anti-semitic - because it's the exact same type of ethnic vilification that led to the Holocaust.

It really is a shame to have to explain this stuff.

Dougal Maguire

The nun outside the synagogue. Anti Semitic?
Careful now

sid waddell

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 14, 2018, 01:10:13 PM
The nun outside the synagogue. Anti Semitic?
Not particularly, because it doesn't use a negative stereotype to generalise about Jews as a group.

Now, can you tell me whether you believe that negative stereotypes about Jews being money grabbers are anti-semitic?

Like yours, and like the even more vile post of Windmill Abu's?

Can you tell me whether such negative stereotypes were widely used to vilify Jews in 1930s Germany, thus preparing the ground for the Holocaust?

I'll make a leap and presume you have knowledge of what the Holocaust was.