Quote from: Kurtz on August 06, 2019, 11:21:51 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 06, 2019, 10:59:45 AM
Quote from: Kurtz on August 06, 2019, 10:51:01 AM
I'll go with the bookies on this one

Dublin are a totally different side from two years ago

Not as good as they were in 2017 imo
2017 they were still relying on Paul Flynn, Paddy Andrews, O'Gara and Brogan
I also think Con O Calaghan is a better player now

I could be wrong but I'd definitely have the likes of Paul Flynn as better than their counterparts in the current Dublin team. Paddy Andrews, O'Gara, Brogan are also all still on the panel but have regressed.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

imtommygunn

Brogan is just age but could still do damage. Andrews has regressed and O'Gara for Dublin standards was never really at the same level as the rest of them anyway but I guess gave them something different.

In terms of progression from 2017 Howard is a massive addition, McCaffrey is better than he was, McCarthy is too. Fenton another level as well.  The FB line isn't as good though and O'Sullivan has slowed. All in all I'm not sure they are any better or any worse but have just demoralised other teams so much that they maybe look better. O"Callaghan directness a big plus too. I know he was there but he has progressed a lot.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 06, 2019, 12:03:15 PM
Brogan is just age but could still do damage. Andrews has regressed and O'Gara for Dublin standards was never really at the same level as the rest of them anyway but I guess gave them something different.

In terms of progression from 2017 Howard is a massive addition, McCaffrey is better than he was, McCarthy is too. Fenton another level as well.  The FB line isn't as good though and O'Sullivan has slowed. All in all I'm not sure they are any better or any worse but have just demoralised other teams so much that they maybe look better. O"Callaghan directness a big plus too. I know he was there but he has progressed a lot.

On what evidence are they better now? They've hardly had a proper game all year

WhoDat

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 06, 2019, 12:30:25 PM

They haven't had a proper game in 2 years. Last years championship was a joke.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: WhoDat on August 06, 2019, 12:40:09 PM

They're last proper championship game was the 2017 final, nothing to suggest they've improved since then

JoeSoap

Unless Mayo up their conversion rate, Dublin will win this quite easily. I think Mayo have the ability to keep Dublin's scoring low enough, it's whether they can convert the chances they create on the other end to keep the pressure up.

dublin7

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 06, 2019, 12:41:37 PM

They're last proper championship game was the 2017 final, nothing to suggest they've improved since then

Kilkenny has bulked up and is now a reliable scorer compared to 2017 when he was almost a hindrance at times by slowing up the play and going backwards with his handpassing.

O'Calaghan has bulked up and is having a fine season. Mannion has also bulked up and is a better finisher than 2 years ago.

imtommygunn

There's nothing to say they haven't progressed either. They're that far ahead we just don't know. If they blow Mayo away on saturday it will be mayo are done and weren't the team of 2017 rather than dublin are significantly better so to be honest I don't know if we'll ever know. If they are beat by Mayo then I guess it can be said they aren't as good. While I'd love to see Mayo win I would be very very surprised if that was the case.

Some players have got good bit better though I do think the centre of their defense is more porous than it was.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: dublin7 on August 06, 2019, 12:45:30 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 06, 2019, 12:41:37 PM

Kilkenny has bulked up and is now a reliable scorer compared to 2017 when he was almost a hindrance at times by slowing up the play and going backwards with his handpassing.

O'Calaghan has bulked up and is having a fine season. Mannion has also bulked up and is a better finisher than 2 years ago.

I'd argue that along with the full back line, the overall squad depth has weakened. Looking at Dublin's bench it's very similar to 2017 minus Paul Flynn. the likes of Connolly, Brogan, McMenamon, O'Gara, Daly are all still year. Connolly has hardly played any ball, and Brogan is just back from injury. In general they're two years older and have regressed.

Hound

Definitely the big worry for me is Dublin come in undercooked. While 3 weeks break is better than 1 week, that's offset by the fact we haven't played any game with serious intensity in so long. Also we've had plenty instances this year of starting very slow and being allowed back into games by opposition not taking advantage.

Formwise, we've only been middling.

In the full back line, Cooper is motoring along, but McMahon and Fitzsimons well below par this year. David Byrne has been much better than either, but has a history of being less reliable in the really big games than the other two. Murchan will also put pressure on for a starting place (I think he'd be a cert to mark O'Brien if we ever play Kerry).

At half back, Jack is absolutely flying and Small going well too. McCarthy had a poor year last year in my view that went completely unnoticed. Not sure he's back to his absolute best, but he's much improved and I've no fears he'll play well. Midfield or centre back though? Not sure.  O'Sullivan had no involvement against either Roscommon or Tyrone. May be injured? Still a gem if let play as sweeper. If made man-mark he can be got at.

Fenton is our heart and interesting to see if Mayo put a stopper on him. Keegan or Coen? Or just let Aidan take him. I don't think they'll put Seamie on him.

If Mayo don't try to be too smart, I think their half backs match up very well against our half forward line. I'm a bit worried about that.

Like O'Connor at the other end, Rock will be steady. Give him any time and he'll score.
Con was quiet in Leinster and strong in S8. Mannion the exact opposite. If they both strike it hot, then Mayo are in trouble. If they're both cold and more miss than hit, then we could be in a spot of bother.

Going to be a cracker. Would love to put the hammer down for once v Mayo, but if you offered me a draw I'd snap your hand off!

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Hound on August 06, 2019, 01:13:45 PM
Definitely the big worry for me is Dublin come in undercooked. While 3 weeks break is better than 1 week, that's offset by the fact we haven't played any game with serious intensity in so long. Also we've had plenty instances this year of starting very slow and being allowed back into games by opposition not taking advantage.

In the full back line, Cooper is motoring along, but McMahon and Fitzsimons well below par this year. David Byrne has been much better than either, but has a history of being less reliable in the really big games than the other two. Murchan will also put pressure on for a starting place (I think he'd be a cert to mark O'Brien if we ever play Kerry).

At half back, Jack is absolutely flying and Small going well too. McCarthy had a poor year last year in my view that went completely unnoticed. Not sure he's back to his absolute best, but he's much improved and I've no fears he'll play well. Midfield or centre back though? Not sure.  O'Sullivan had no involvement against either Roscommon or Tyrone. May be injured? Still a gem if let play as sweeper. If made man-mark he can be got at.

Fenton is our heart and interesting to see if Mayo put a stopper on him. Keegan or Coen? Or just let Aidan take him. I don't think they'll put Seamie on him.

If Mayo don't try to be too smart, I think their half backs match up very well against our half forward line. I'm a bit worried about that.

Like O'Connor at the other end, Rock will be steady. Give him any time and he'll score.
Con was quiet in Leinster and strong in S8. Mannion the exact opposite. If they both strike it hot, then Mayo are in trouble. If they're both cold and more miss than hit, then we could be in a spot of bother.

Going to be a cracker. Would love to put the hammer down for once v Mayo, but if you offered me a draw I'd snap your hand off!

One of the key differences between the sides over the years has been the strength of Dublin's squad.
Trying not to be dismissive because I'm sure they're still quality footballers, but would you be concerned at all to still be calling on the likes of McMenamon?

Hound

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 06, 2019, 01:20:47 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 06, 2019, 01:13:45 PM

One of the key differences between the sides over the years has been the strength of Dublin's squad.
Trying not to be dismissive because I'm sure they're still quality footballers, but would you be concerned at all to still be calling on the likes of McMenamon?
Well if Mannion or Con have to go off then the team gets worse, for sure.

Going to be a big turnover in the forward subs next year, with Andrews, KevMac, Brogan, O'Gara all gone.
I would still have thought there would be good game in at least 3 of the above, but to be fair, there's not been much impact this year.

Paddy Small on the other hand has looked very good. But still very unproven in a big game. That's where not being in the league shake-up has been a bit costly. He would have got at least 20 minutes in a league final which would have been more useful that any other game time he's got this summer, imo.
We've also got Costello. Gone off the boil a bit, but is talented and he'd be my bet for first forward sub to come on next Saturday.

Mayo4Sam14

Looking back at it, it's the same bench moreless the same bench as 2017, very similar to 2015, and even the core of the bench in 2013 is the same

thejuice

I think Mayo should be given a trophy if they win this.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Mayo4Sam

Ruane will be brought in to mark Fenton I'd imagine, he has the engine for him and can give him his fill going forward too
Word is that Diarmuid won't be back, him and Doc are huge losses

It's hard to see how we could possibly win this with the way we've played this year
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me