Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Localexpert

Quote from: The Trap on September 03, 2018, 01:08:49 PM
I know its not going to happen but I think a change of management could improve Tyrone. It would bring a freshness to the squad and county and give players a chance to impress a new manager. New ideas, new thinking, maybe find a couple of players that the present management haven't seen, trusted etc.
Tyrone did well to make the final yesterday and played reasonably well so this is not a go at Mickey Harte before the usual suspects have a go.
I just feel if we keep doing the same thing we will keep getting the same results. Lets try someone different, something different.
Fair play to all involved for the commitment they give when many counties seem to have given up. Tyrone have kept going and are one of only 4/5 teams who seem to believe they can stop Dublin. I think its going to have to be a case of Dublin coming back to the pack than the pack catching up though!

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Think a change is definitely needed to bring freshness and new ideas but micky has too much power in Tyrone and will need to be pushed as he won't go voluntarily.

The Golden Years

Did the Tyrone players really believe they could beat Dublin yesterday?  I honestly think they didn't.  When Dublin scored the penalty which was only to level the game you could see Tyrones head drop.  Surely if the had of had belief they would have seen it for what it should have been, a score to level the game' composed themselves and went at again for next 15 or so mins the way they want at for the first 20. Instead it appeared as they said 'f*@k this, we gave them everything for 20mins and we are still level, we are not going to beat them'.

Localexpert

I know the players are a completely different generation to me but I'm only after seeing alot of their social media accounts from a nephew and if that's the party when they lose God help the city west if they win.

When I lost big games I didn't get over it for days or weeks and figured out the men crying at the final whistle were the first men laughing and joking on the bus home and worrying about how quickly they could get out that night.

so maybe they didn't have any belief they'd win and are now content with the party and claps on the back that comes with getting to the final.

Anyone else saw the videos?  What's your thoughts?

lenny

Quote from: The Golden Years on September 03, 2018, 04:34:36 PM
Did the Tyrone players really believe they could beat Dublin yesterday?  I honestly think they didn't.  When Dublin scored the penalty which was only to level the game you could see Tyrones head drop.  Surely if the had of had belief they would have seen it for what it should have been, a score to level the game' composed themselves and went at again for next 15 or so mins the way they want at for the first 20. Instead it appeared as they said 'f*@k this, we gave them everything for 20mins and we are still level, we are not going to beat them'.

Any belief they had was lost when harte narrowed the omagh pitch by 4 yards on each side. You'd see that kind of thing when a non league team plays a premier league team in the fa cup. That was subconsciously telling the players the only chance we have is to narrow the pitch. It probably didn't make much difference practically but psychologically the players could've asked themselves why do we need the pitch narrowed if we're as good as dublin.

BennyHarp

Quote from: lenny on September 03, 2018, 06:35:24 PM

Any belief they had was lost when harte narrowed the omagh pitch by 4 yards on each side. You'd see that kind of thing when a non league team plays a premier league team in the fa cup. That was subconsciously telling the players the only chance we have is to narrow the pitch. It probably didn't make much difference practically but psychologically the players could've asked themselves why do we need the pitch narrowed if we're as good as dublin.

We've seen this every year for the best part of a decade when Tyrone have played Derry.
That was never a square ball!!

Snapchap

Quote from: Localexpert on September 03, 2018, 06:13:34 PM
I know the players are a completely different generation to me but I'm only after seeing alot of their social media accounts from a nephew and if that's the party when they lose God help the city west if they win.

When I lost big games I didn't get over it for days or weeks and figured out the men crying at the final whistle were the first men laughing and joking on the bus home and worrying about how quickly they could get out that night.

so maybe they didn't have any belief they'd win and are now content with the party and claps on the back that comes with getting to the final.

Anyone else saw the videos?  What's your thoughts?

Who's accounts?

omagh_gael

What about Kyle Coney? His article last week read like a fella who'd be keen for another shot at redemption. He claims he's fitter than he's ever been an acknowledged that he never showed the required work rate needed. Would he be a man for full forward next year?

tiempo

Quote from: omagh_gael on September 03, 2018, 10:40:01 PM
What about Kyle Coney? His article last week read like a fella who'd be keen for another shot at redemption. He claims he's fitter than he's ever been an acknowledged that he never showed the required work rate needed. Would he be a man for full forward next year?

Yes, but very unlikely to happen sadly. Any other outsanding canditates for the starting 15 not in the squad? Conan Grugan, Johnny Munroe? I don't mean squad players, I mean lads outside the panel who are a cut above and more than good enough to start but not involved for whatever reason?

omagh_gael

Quote from: tiempo on September 03, 2018, 11:52:09 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on September 03, 2018, 10:40:01 PM

Yes, but very unlikely to happen sadly. Any other outsanding canditates for the starting 15 not in the squad? Conan Grugan, Johnny Munroe? I don't mean squad players, I mean lads outside the panel who are a cut above and more than good enough to start but not involved for whatever reason?

Why do you think it's very unlikely? As far as I am aware there was no explosive incident that lead to him leaving and his article definitely had a vibe of wanting to give it another go whilst admiring he was at fault for walking in the first place. Would love to see him back in the panel in 2019.

Alternatively, we could kidnap Conor McKenna until his AFL contract is declared void!

Thebigdog

Just after watching a recording of the final again. The sacred cow that is Peter Harte had an opportunity to play in Mark Bradley in the left corner but instead swings his right foot at it and the ball goes harmlessly up in the air. A moment that just sums up everything that is wrong at the moment with Tyrone. The most overrated player ever!!

bannside

It's truly unbelievable the way some posters on here are lining up to put the sword into the back of some very good footballers who have represented their county so well for many years. On this page alone there are poisonous comments about vastly  experienced Colm C, Mattie, Peter Harte and also youngster Mc Shane. Now that the floodgates have opened why don't you take today and stick another three or four on that list.

Truly despicably low lads. Now if you want to come on and outline your own credentials that might be different. Nasty and far too cheap against lads out there giving every last ounce for your county.

omaghjoe

Quite possibly but its a fine line. Something I have been concerned about this Tyrone team is leadership.... When something like that happens especially against Dublin who just start riding the crest of a wave after a goal we need to reply immediately... when we score a goal we need to add the next point immediately. Dooher used to be a great man for recognising that and would often provide that moment of leadership that would lift the rest of the team. Its critical

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on September 03, 2018, 01:16:31 PM
Have to agree about McShane. Thought he had a decent game.  Picked up a lot of ball and was direct when on the ball. The few times he coughed up possession was i thought more to do with no support.  His attempt with the outside of the boot ,when it was easier with the inside of his right boot, was a big moment as Dublin went down field scored and from morgans kick out everything went to shit!
Mc Shane certainly made mistakes and is prone to the odd rash decision and poor shot selection, but what i do like about him is he doesn't hide, he is always looking to get on the ball and in a game where he made plenty of mistakes he kept at it and kicked 2 points.
If i was reflecting on my own performance after the AI final, i would rather have had McShanes performance than that of Mattie or Sludden, who didn't impact the game at all and where well below their ability.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

BennyHarp

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 04, 2018, 09:24:59 AM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on September 03, 2018, 01:16:31 PM
Have to agree about McShane. Thought he had a decent game.  Picked up a lot of ball and was direct when on the ball. The few times he coughed up possession was i thought more to do with no support.  His attempt with the outside of the boot ,when it was easier with the inside of his right boot, was a big moment as Dublin went down field scored and from morgans kick out everything went to shit!
Mc Shane certainly made mistakes and is prone to the odd rash decision and poor shot selection, but what i do like about him is he doesn't hide, he is always looking to get on the ball and in a game where he made plenty of mistakes he kept at it and kicked 2 points.
If i was reflecting on my own performance after the AI final, i would rather have had McShanes performance than that of Mattie or Sludden, who didn't impact the game at all and where well below their ability.

+1 McShane will come on a lot for this season and for playing in an All Ireland final. Remember, this is his first full consistent season as a starter. I remember plenty of people on here (probably the same people) making the same comments about Colm Cavanagh a few years ago. Give the lad a bit of time and lets see how he develops.
That was never a square ball!!

clarshack

Quote from: Thebigdog on September 04, 2018, 05:04:48 AM
Just after watching a recording of the final again. The sacred cow that is Peter Harte had an opportunity to play in Mark Bradley in the left corner but instead swings his right foot at it and the ball goes harmlessly up in the air. A moment that just sums up everything that is wrong at the moment with Tyrone. The most overrated player ever!!

Everyone around me was crying out for Peter Harte to pass that ball into Mark Bradley. we really needed a goal when we were on top. also thought he was a bit greedy towards the end of the semi-final. apart from that I thought Peter Harte played well on Sunday.

Despite what others think, I thought Cathal McShane was decent. he showed for the ball and kicked a couple of points. Ok he took a potshot but plenty of others kicked wides too.

Meyler's push on Cooper that led to the 2nd goal seemed very naive especially when Cooper was surrounded by Tyrone players, think this could be Meyler's fourth season playing seniors so it's not as if he is inexperienced. Maybe the fact that he hadn't played since the Donegal game was a factor in this.

The Dubs once again did a number on Tyrone's big names. I was at the league game at the beginning of 2017 when Niall Sludden was outstanding against the Dubs in Croke Park. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to replicate that performance against the Dubs since.

If we can cut out the stupid mistakes and if the big players can get themselves on the ball more against Dublin then we will be there or thereabouts again next year.