GPA's latest scam

Started by Eamonnca1, September 12, 2013, 10:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Zulu on October 17, 2013, 11:30:10 AM
Well if he did I think he is wrong about the GPA but more importantly I'm certain the GAA won't support anything that moves in that direction. Despite what we might think of football and hurling, generating the mass spectator appeal necessary to fund a professional level of the sport year in year out is extremely difficult. Ireland is too small a market to support professionalism and the GAA/GPA have neither the singleminded drive or resources to generate the market internationally. But if people still want to imagine a doomsday scenario then that is their prerogative.

You may be right or you may be wrong, but my point was about the agenda and objectives of the GPA. Whether or not those objectives are achievable is another debate.

Zulu

Fair enough but I don't think the GPA have a vastly different view of the GAA to you or many others.

Hardy

It couldn't be more vastly different. For one thing, I don't promote elitism, discrimination and the diversion of resources to the benefit of a small pressure group within the Association.

Rossfan

Quote from: Hardy on October 17, 2013, 12:27:58 PM
, I don't promote elitism,
The GAA do by having competitive games where winners are given medals and cups etc.
The public do by going in their thousands to inter County games while in the main ignoring the 98% of club non elite.
Every organisation promotes elitism and the pursuit of excellence as otherwise we'd all be living in caves and our sport would be kicking a stone along the ground.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

Quote from: Rossfan on October 17, 2013, 12:40:24 PM
The GAA do by having competitive games where winners are given medals and cups etc.
The public do by going in their thousands to inter County games while in the main ignoring the 98% of club non elite.
Every organisation promotes elitism and the pursuit of excellence as otherwise we'd all be living in caves and our sport would be kicking a stone along the ground.

Well done. I think you know what I meant. Now - about the discrimination and the diversion of the association's resources to the benefit of the members of a small pressure group?

johnneycool

Quote from: Rossfan on October 17, 2013, 12:40:24 PM

For every fan who only ever attends intercounty games, theres just as many who only attend their own club games, just different catchment areas of a parish, village etc as opposed to a whole county.

rrhf

Quote from: Zulu on October 17, 2013, 12:23:58 PM
Fair enough but I don't think the GPA have a vastly different view of the GAA to you or many others.
I dont think you give them enough credit.

Hound

Quote from: Zulu on October 17, 2013, 11:30:10 AM
Well if he did I think he is wrong about the GPA but more importantly I'm certain the GAA won't support anything that moves in that direction. Despite what we might think of football and hurling, generating the mass spectator appeal necessary to fund a professional level of the sport year in year out is extremely difficult. Ireland is too small a market to support professionalism and the GAA/GPA have neither the singleminded drive or resources to generate the market internationally. But if people still want to imagine a doomsday scenario then that is their prerogative.
Yeah its always entertaining!
Apparently, some day the GPA are going to force professionalism onto us when we're not looking   :o

rrhf

Not at all dont be silly they employ a creeping ivy approach. 

deiseach

Quote from: Hound on October 17, 2013, 01:05:57 PM
Apparently, some day the GPA are going to force professionalism onto us when we're not looking   :o

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

AZOffaly

I think the GPA have gone into a holding pattern with regard to pay for play, but I absolutely believe they foresee a day when a lad will get money, or compensation, simply because he plays inter county football or hurling. The exact mechanism or what it might be called is not as important as the principle that they should earn on the back of their efforts as their efforts are generating millions for the association.

If I was still playing, with a selfish viewpoint, (and I don't mean that in a bad way) I'd probably agree with them. Who wouldn't like money for playing GAA?

Other than that I think the GPA's goals are probably close enough to the GAA in that they both want to promote the 'product' because promotion and audiences mean money for the coffers.

What grates with me is the tone of almost all GPA utterances. Everything is about the inter county player. Potts' comments just reinforce that view. And maybe that's fair enough but then they should be called the GICPA.

By the way, I don't consider GPA officials any less a Gael than any of us, I just see some things differently than where their focus appears to be.

rrhf

exactly and well put, there are those who desire the pulverisation of the club power within the GAA structure, because you cant pay everyone.  Keep the clubs weak and the county strong.

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 17, 2013, 01:22:13 PM
I think the GPA have gone into a holding pattern with regard to pay for play, but I absolutely believe they foresee a day when a lad will get money, or compensation, simply because he plays inter county football or hurling. The exact mechanism or what it might be called is not as important as the principle that they should earn on the back of their efforts as their efforts are generating millions for the association.

Friday night games will bring that day closer.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 17, 2013, 01:22:13 PM
What grates with me is the tone of almost all GPA utterances. Everything is about the inter county player.

That's just bizarre AZ.

The GPA was set up for intercounty players. From Day 1. Never any pretence or utterance otherwise. That what it is, a representative body for intercounty players. So of course all their utteraces are going to be about intercounty players. That's what they are, that's what they do! 

AZOffaly

I know that, it still grates with me. They are to my knowledge the only player representative body in the GAA and only represent 2% of the players. And instead of promoting hurling, they are promoting the inter county game. I think the GAAs player body should represent all players.