Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Not much word over here about this weekend  and the timeslot is not USA friendly either. How do we see it goin lads?

I think Joshusa should win but he needs to have a plan as he is unlikely to put Klitscho away early. Then again he might well put him away early 41 years old and 18 months outta the ring.

BennyHarp

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 26, 2017, 03:55:11 AM
Not much word over here about this weekend  and the timeslot is not USA friendly either. How do we see it goin lads?

I think Joshusa should win but he needs to have a plan as he is unlikely to put Klitscho away early. Then again he might well put him away early 41 years old and 18 months outta the ring.

I'm really looking forward to this fight. I cant decide who will win as there is big question marks over both men. Has Wlad got anything left in the tank? Or is he primed for one last big performance? Is Joshua really that good? Can he take a punch? Will he gas out if this goes beyond 6 or 7. Personally, I just think that Wlad will be too much for him at this stage, he'll plan to jab him all night long, keeping out of range of Joshua's big right hand and maybe take him out late on.
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Nobody knows what will happen on Saturday night.  Joshua doesn't have the awkwardness of Fury and will be there to be hit.  You would imagine that Klitschko will try and get him through to the second half of the fight where Joshua's speed and power will be diminished.  At the same time, if Klitschko is finished he could be knocked out.  But I would be more inclined to think that the Fury fight was a one off.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

bennydorano

Looking forward to this one myself. £19.95 on SKY BO.

You couldn't help but like big AJ. Really hope he wins but I wouldn't be so sure. I'll probably have a punt on him for a mid round knockout for Rounds 6-8

lurganblue

I'll be in Newry for this so hoping to catch it on in a bar somewhere!?

I'm going to edge towards Klitschko for this.  AJ hasnt faced a fighter of his level yet and i think he might struggle a little.  White wobbled him a bit.  That chin isnt rock solid. Maybe a Klitschko knockout in the 2nd half of the fight.

DuffleKing

While I feel boxing is in good health overall, I think it's a poor reflection on the HW division that this is the most exciting match up in recent times. AJ is a good guy and a physical freak but in other eras his lack of fundamental boxing skills would be cause for serious reservations. To be dominant over any period of time he is going to have to have a very solid chin - which we don't know yet - because his lack of head movement means he's going to he hit. Only White has really caught him and rocked him seriously.

Wlad is a decent boxer with an exceptional frame to allow him to keep almost every opponent at range and avoid taking punishment. He won't have that with AJ and his record shows that he can be hurt and stopped. He also has to have slowed down.

Wlad is a few notches down on his brother in terms of ability but the greatly reduced standard of heavyweights worldwide means he remains a top 5 fighter. 20 years ago this fight between a hot prospect with 19 pro fights and an over the hill ex champ would be on the undercard of a title fight or at absolute best a title eliminator.

I think either AJ wins in 5/6 rounds with a stoppage (I think Wlad's corner may be trigger happy if he gets in trouble) or that Wlad wins on points as he will fight at the same pace and with the same technical ability for  12 rounds.

For what it's worth I hope Wlad knocks AJ out in the first round because Hearn is a grade A tit.

gallsman

I don't think Hearn is that bad to be honest. Good interview with both of them in the Guardian a few weeks ago.

JimStynes

I quite like Eddie Hearn to be honest. Some of the interviews he gives on IFL are funny and seems to take the piss out of himself a good bit. He's a business man at the end of the day so he will probably piss a few people off on the way to making big fights. Haven't a clue what way it will go on Saturday night. Going to pick AJ for a mid round stoppage. Imagine a prime Tyson in with some of the heavy weight champions of the last 15 years.

Captain Obvious

Hard to get overly excited for any heavyweight boxing fight nowadays but from what I seen of him Joshua looks like the real deal and needs to win fight against Klitschko who is past his best.

BennyHarp

Came across this footage of Wayne McCullough v Arturo Gatti in the Amateurs. McCullough was a great amateur and forced a stoppage here. Pity he just lacked that big punch needed at the very highest level of the pros.

https://youtu.be/yhdbJmJp-vw
That was never a square ball!!

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Has Klitscko any chance or too old ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Captain Obvious

Fair play to Katie Taylor a world title match next I presume.

bennydorano

Quigg getting it tight - R3

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on April 29, 2017, 08:31:45 PM
Has Klitscko any chance or too old ?

AJ could be another Bruno or turn out to be a great fighter!! I've a fiver on Klitscko to win on points as an interest
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea