Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

How is anyone meant to take Sandy Row BC seriously? 10 years of 'sectarian abuse' and they only go public this year? Unbelievable. Funny how no one else ever witnessed this 'abuse', regardless of what club they came from. No other 'Protestant' clubs said they had any complaints either which to me shows the agenda these boys have when the moneys being rolled out - pathetic, not to mention refusing to even meet the f**king sports minister!  ::)

I'd also be far from convinced re this new NIABA. Well done to Sandy Row, they've just built the foundations for segregation in a sport that normally avoided the usual sectarian trappings in NI. You know when Jim Allister is championing something that it can't be good. Sensationalist victimised crap.

Milltown Row2

Bit of an own goal, watched it last night and I was slightly embarrassed by it all. Midland and the Shankill road club didn't even bother to row in behind them says it all.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Saw this on the Twit Box. Very sad to hear it.

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter

BREAKING - Former boxing champion Hector Camacho on life support after being shot Tuesday outside of San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Declan

That's sad alright AZ - hope he recovers

The Iceman

Yeah sad news alright - i heard at first he was dead.

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Atticus_Finch

Camacho has been declared brain dead.  Relatives will now decide whether to remove him from life support.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Atticus_Finch

The only fight in town this weekend seems to be the Ricky Hatton comeback fight but there is one fight that should be commanding more media attention than it is and that is Scott Quigg vs Rendell Munroe.  I've got a hunch that Carl Frampton might be interested in this one as well !

The first fight was ruled a technical draw after an accidental head clash in the third round.  The pair meet in a rematch on the Hatton undercard with the winner almost certain to face Frampton next summer. 

The first fight ended too early to offer any real insight into how this one might pan out.  That being said I feel the first fight will benefit Quigg more than Munroe.  it was a step up in class for Quigg and he now knows what Munroe is all about inside the ring.  I think the fight could be quite even for the first six rounds but I am confident that Quigg will start to pull away during the 2nd half of the fight.  By the second half of the fight I think Munroe will slow and Quigg will be able to counter punch his way to a fairly comfortable points decision.  Munroe is a binman and being in the waste management industry myself during my students days makes me have a bit of a soft spot for him and I do rate him as a fighter.  While he has never been stopped in his career before I wouldn't rule out a late stoppage for Quigg.

In the main event of the evening I think Hatton is going to have a very tough night's work ahead of him against Senchenko.  He has a sizeable enough task as it is .  He could have all the WD40 and brillo pads in the world but after being out of the ring for three and a half years there is bound to be quite a bit of ring rust showing in the initial period of the fight.  To compound that he has had more than his fair share of well documented personal problems.  Out of the list I feel that his family problems will impact him the most.  He apparently hasn't spoken properly to his parents for two years, his dad was charged with assaulting him back in September.  His family had been ever present at all of his fights.  He lived with them until he was in his late 20s and when he moved out he only was up the road from them.  This will be the first fight where both his parents are unlikely to be there and I think that will take some getting used to for him.

I believe the fight itself will prove more problematic than many other commentators think.  The general consenus is that Malignaggi stopped this guy so Hatton being more powerful than Malignaggi should do the same.  The only reason that Malignaggi stopped Senchenko was because he was able to go to work on a cut that Senchenko sustained early on in the fight to the extent that Senchenko could only see out of one eye.

From what i've seen of Senchenko I think he would be able to sustain quite a bit of punishment and seems to possess a solid enough jab that could cause a ring rusty Hatton a few problems tonight.  It is only a ten round fight, which also leads me to believe that is likely to go the distance. I think Hatton will be the busier fighter on the night and should win by virtue of that.  If it does go the distance I think he will always get the benefit of the doubt from the judges.  This fight could to a large extent be a replay of his fight against Juan Lazcano.  He faced Lazcano after losing his undefeated record to Floyd Mayweather Jr and the bill was treated as a home coming / comeback extravaganza which sold out the city of Manchester stadium.  Hatton was given a few scares that night and ended up winning on points despite being predicted by many to win by KO and blow Lazcano away.

Fair play to Hatton for shedding the weight, stepping back into the ring again and exorcising as well as excercising a few demons along the way.

Hatton to win by decision/points     11/4  - Ladbrokes
Scott Quigg to beat Rendell Munroe 1/2   - Ladbrokes

Double pays just under 5/1.

Mickey Linden

Anyone else having trouble getting the Hatton fight on? This primetime is a farce of a channel

Atticus_Finch

http://boxingguru.eu/gurutv1.html

Was told Quigg Munroe wasn't on until 9 !  I missed it all FFS !

Quigg stopped Munroe in round 6.

All of a Sludden

Hatton back in to retirement, this time for good.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

sammymaguire

What was his purse for tonight's fight, this was surely just down to his need for a few ££
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

gallsman

Quote from: sammymaguire on November 24, 2012, 11:44:10 PM
What was his purse for tonight's fight, this was surely just down to his need for a few ££

By all accounts money had nothing to do with it. Reputedly still very, very wealthy.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on November 24, 2012, 11:51:21 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on November 24, 2012, 11:44:10 PM

By all accounts money had nothing to do with it. Reputedly still very, very wealthy.
Still loaded. Reportedly back in the ring due to boredom and depression. Foolish decision.

Atticus_Finch

Feel bad for him. Sometimes a very thin line between success and failure. Stopped with 8 seconds left in the 9th round when he was ahead on all judges' scorecards.

He was a picture of absolute desolation after the fight. Would be genuinely concerned for his well being after that. He had said prior to the fight that he was prepared for the consequences of defeat but I doubt that is the case.

Only one other person came close to being as gutted as Hatton tonight and that was Paulie Malignaggi who saw a $1 million dollar pay day disappear with 8 seconds left of the 9th round !

Chief Whip

Attic us I have been following ur posts on this thread for sometime and read with great interest; it is obvious there is very little about the sweet science u do not know. Anyway could you settle an ongoing feud I am having with a friend of mine and tell me in your opinion lb for lb who was the superior boxer between sugar ray and roberto Duran?