Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 28, 2012, 02:06:18 PM
Just read that they found Johnny Tapia dead.

His life always seemed destined to end early. Suffered tragedy from an early age. RIP.

gallsman

Also just read that Paul Williams is likely paralysed from waist down after a motorbike crash in Atlanta yesterday. Shocking.

ludermor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/18247073
Former world champion Paul Williams has been left paralysed from the waist down after a motorcycle accident on Sunday.

The 30-year-old American, a two-time WBO welterweight champion, severed his spinal cord after being thrown from his bike in Atlanta, Georgia.

Williams was scheduled to fight Saul Alvarez  for the Mexican's WBC light-middleweight crown in September.

However, manager George Peterson said the fighter had been told by doctors he was unlikely to walk again.

Peterson said: "Paul is in denial right now. It's been that way with him. You tell him he can't or won't do something, and he wants to prove you different.

"So whatever the doctors say, he's not listening. But they say that walking and boxing is not going to happen."

Williams beat Antonio Margarito for his first title in 2007, before losing his next fight to Carlos Quintana.

Williams beat Quintana in a rematch before surrendering his title when he moved up to light-middleweight, where he secured the interim WBO crown by defeating Verno Phillips.

The southpaw also fought at middleweight, beating future Hall of Fame fighter Ronald 'Winky' Wright and future world champion Sergio Martinez.

But a subsequent second-round knockout by the Argentine in 2010, and an unimpressive and controversial points win over Erislandy Lara the following year, saw his stock fall.

The scheduled fight against Alvarez, which was to have taken place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on 15 September, was a chance for Williams to prove he was still among the sport's elite fighters.

CiKe

So, Pacquiao vs Bradley.  I think Bradley is top notch and will beat him - whether he gets the decision is another matter. If it ends early however i'll be wrong and Pacquiao will remove him from his senses. Can't see Bradley winning by stoppage at all as Pacquiao has been in with bigger harder punching men who haven't been able to put him in trouble

CiKe

Given i reckon this has the potential for Bradley being screwed ( as per my previous prediction on Campillo v Cloud), the draw is 30/1. Think this represents decent value, particularly because in my book Pacquiao was clearly beaten last time out by Marquez yet still got the decision. Perhaps I'm being naive but hopefully this means more focus on the judges i.e they won't be able to totally screw Bradley by giving Pacquiao the win, but by the same token coming between Mayweather and Pacquiao might be too big a leap in principles for boxing judges hence suspect draw is feasible...

DuffleKing

What else is on the bill tonight?

Christmas Lights

anyone any links for tonights boxing?

screenmachine

I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

CiKe

Didnt bother staying up for it in the end, but first reports i've seen suggest Pacquiao very unlucky to lose! What did ye think?

Carmen Stateside

Terrible decision, in my own opinion Manny won.  He controlled the fight from start to finish. 

everymanaman

Pacman knows now what it's like to be on end of a dubious decision-probably why there wasn't much moaning to the media from him

maigheo

Terrible decision as Pacman won at least 10 rounds.The HBO commentators thought it was the worst decision they have ever seen in pro boxing.Rematch in november

CiKe

Quote from: maigheo on June 10, 2012, 01:20:32 PM
Terrible decision as Pacman won at least 10 rounds.The HBO commentators thought it was the worst decision they have ever seen in pro boxing.Rematch in november

That bad? Surely not, god knows there have been some robberies over the years, but as someone else alluded to, Pac-Man has been the beneficiary of a couple of dodgy decisions

maigheo

Yes it was that bad.Bradley, even tho he tried hard and did not back down from pacman,did not trouble him at any stage in the fight and said after the fight that Pac manwas to good for him.Harold Lederman had the fight scored 119 to 110 for Pac man

screenmachine

I had Pacman winning every round except the last and maybe one other one. I didn't even watch the decision I thought it was that one sided. Only heard the decision on the radio an hour later and was very shocked!
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.