Ger Power revelation about Armagh's All Ireland win in 2002

Started by seanobrien12, September 09, 2007, 12:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanobrien12

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/2641623.stm

Kerry football boss Paidi O Se is facing calls for his resignation amid fallout over comments he has made in recent media interviews.

On Tuesday, O Se apologised for his description of Kerry fans in a Sunday Independent interview last weekend as being "animals".

The comment was embellished by an expletive which has caused particular disquiet among a number of prominent Kerry GAA personalities.

In two previous interviews, O Se also used colourful language when discussing Kerry's All-Ireland final collapse against Armagh.

In his apology faxed from South Africa where he is with the Kerry squad on a team holiday, O Se said that the comment meant to convey that Kerry fans were "critical and demanding".

I think Paidi O Se is getting slightly carried away about his own importance

Ger Power

O Se's Sunday Independent interview was also interpreted by some commentators as criticising his team trainer John O'Keeffe.

The Kerry manager indicated that he would be taking a more direct role in training in 2003.

In his apology, O Se insisted that he had "no question mark of any kind" about O'Keeffe's training techniques.

Some Kerry GAA folk felt O'Keeffe's tough training regime contributed to Maurice Fitzgerald's decision not to play intercounty football in 2002.

O Se's former Kerry team-mate Ger Power criticised the manager in an interview with Radio Kerry's Terrace Talk programme on Tuesday evening.

"I think Paidi O Se is getting slightly carried away about his own importance," said Power.

Because Armagh won, it was suddenly okay to lose it

Ger Power

"Ogie Moran got a hard time after losing a Munster final and Mickey O'Sullivan was torn to shreds when Clare beat us in the Munster final in 1992.

"So Paidi would want to remember that we were beaten by Armagh and in my eyes Armagh were handed the All-Ireland.

"But because Armagh won, it was suddenly okay to lose it".

A poll taken by Radio Kerry on Wednesday revealed 65 per cent of callers to be in favour of O Se's resignation.

The Kerry county board distanced itself from O Se's weekend comments but officials have insisted that the manager's position is not under threat.

Meanwhile, new Monaghan manager Colm Coyle has left last year's captain Dermot McDermott out of the side for Sunday's McKenna Cup game against Derry.

The team shows seven changes in personnel from the side defeat by Louth in the All-Ireland qualifiers last summer.

seanobrien12

Quote from: seanobrien12 on September 09, 2007, 12:34:34 PMand in my eyes Armagh were handed the All-Ireland
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/2641623.stm

"So Paidi would want to remember that we were beaten by Armagh and in my eyes Armagh were handed the All-Ireland.

Balboa

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

"The year is 1987, and N.A.S.A. launches the last of America's deep space probes. In a freak mishap Ranger 3 and its pilot Captain William 'Buck' Rogers are blown out of their trajectory into an orbit which freezes his life support systems, and returns Buck Rogers to Earth five-hundred years later."

orangeman

Share them around - one for everybody in the audience - the chemist has loads of them !!!!

paddypastit

Ah go easy on the lad, sure wasn't he only 7 in 2002, traumatised at footballing birth so as to speak
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

orangeman