Micko says large backroom teams are not needed.

Started by Balboa, September 09, 2007, 11:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balboa

O'Dwyer says keep it small

Wicklow manager Mick O'Dwyer
08 September 2007

Legendary Gaelic football coach says counties who engage the services of large backroom teams are on the wrong track.

O'Dwyer believes that counties like Dublin, Tyrone and Armagh have gone overboard in expanding the number of people who work in support of the senior county team-management.

"Seemingly Dublin have 15 or 16 (backroom team members)," O'Dwyer observed. "If they think it's the right thing to do then they are right to do that.

"I'm not going to tell the people of Dublin, Armagh or Tyrone what they should be doing but you don't see too many people around the Kerry football team at any time.

"They have selectors, a trainer, a manager, physio and maybe a doctor but they don't go bringing in forwards' coaches, goalkeeping coaches, backs' coaches, midfield coaches and what have you.

"Surely be to God the man in charge of the team should be able to do most of that."

5 Sams

A cynic would say that if you employed a large back room team there wouldnt be as much money left in the pot to pay the manager ;)
The Aristocrat Years

full back

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 14, 2007, 02:11:12 PM
A cynic would say that if you employed a large back room team there wouldnt be as much money left in the pot to pay the manager ;)

:D, beat me to it 5 Sams

rrhf

Tyrones backroom team isnt abnormally large is it?

loughshore lad

Quote from: rrhf on September 14, 2007, 03:04:33 PM
Tyrones backroom team isnt abnormally large is it?

Thats what I was thinking and any way regardless of how big it is MH is the boss and has the final say on everything that goes on. I would safely say the majority of counties have a similar number of people working behind the scenes.

rrhf

lynchbhoy

the front room and backroom team including Joe Kernan, Paul Grimley and benny tierney was one of sumo proportions

Bensars

The thing is that when micko was sorted out with his "expenses", there may not have been enough in the kitty for backroom staff.

Helicopter rides dont come cheap !!

rrhf

The only team needs is a rich chairman a helicopter and a pilot.

orangeman

Try telling Pillar you don't need a big backroom team !