Ulster All-Stars are in!

Started by Maguire01, September 07, 2007, 11:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

QuoteFreeman named Footballer of Year 

Thomas Freeman (right) had a good season with Monaghan
Monaghan corner forward Thomas Freeman has been named as the Irish News Footballer of the Year for 2007.
Freeman was one of seven players from the Farney county to receive Irish News Allstars with Derry taking five awards and Tyrone securing three.

In hurling, the season's Achievement Award was won by Cushendall's rising star Neil McManus.

He recovered from a stress fracture in his back to perform well for Antrim and was also a key player for Cushendall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Irish News Ulster GAA Allstars
John Devine (Tyrone), Michael McGoldrick (Derry), Kevin McCloy (Derry), Dessie Moan (Monaghan), Conor Gormley (Tyrone), Gary McQuaid (Monaghan), Damien Freeman (Monaghan), Fergal Doherty (Derry), Eoin Lennon (Monaghan), Enda Muldoon (Derry), Rory Woods (Monaghan), Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone), Paddy Bradley (Derry), Vincent Corey (Monaghan), Thomas Freeman (Monaghan).

;D

J70

Well deserved for Freeman and the Monaghan boys. Unusual to see the champions only get three awards though! I presume these are public votes and therefore fairly easily biased?

orangeman

Awards go on the basis of newspaper sales - the Irish News is trying to boost sales in Monaghan !!!!!!!

thewobbler

It's a fair enough team, but the Irish News team have let themselves down in selecting a midfielder at wing-forward. Sean Cavanagh was either one of the two best midfielders in Ulster or he wasn't.

Puckoon

Quote from: thewobbler on September 08, 2007, 12:09:40 AM
It's a fair enough team, but the Irish News team have let themselves down in selecting a midfielder at wing-forward. Sean Cavanagh was either one of the two best midfielders in Ulster or he wasn't.

He interchanged alot, so he was either one of the best midfielders, or he was one of the best wing half forwards.... Which he was.

hoopsaaa

OK i am from Tyrone but Cavanagh would get his place at no8/9 in any team in Ireland. Fair play to Freeman had a really good year.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Dooher should have been in for his Donegal performance alone. Not convinced Devine deserved his place but the likes of Mulgrew and even Carlin might be a little dissapointed. Not really worth getting too upset about though!
Well earned by Freeman.

Doire abú

Freeman was brilliant all year, but am I alone in thinking Kevin McCloy should have got player of the year?

Maguire01

Firstly if it's based on sales, it's a bit mad, because the Irish News has a significantly higher circulation in the six counties.

Secondly, Cavanagh probably done his best work this year at wing-half.

Thirdly, Devine kept Tyrone in the Ulster Final and so deserves his spot.

Also, is this team not pretty much what everyone was predicting?

Doire abú

I'm trying to remember the team I entered but its pretty much the same yeah.

David McKeown

Is this supposed to be based on players performance through the Ulster championship, the all ireland chanpionship (including ulster) or the whole year?  If its just ulster I wouldnt have Bradley near it, if its the full year id have a couple more Donegal lads in there
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: hoopsaaa on September 08, 2007, 12:25:03 AM
OK i am from Tyrone but Cavanagh would get his place at no8/9 in any team in Ireland. Fair play to Freeman had a really good year.

Hoopsa - If Cavanagh is so good why then does he keep getting moved out of midfield in many games???

Jinxy

Quote from: hardstation on September 09, 2007, 03:02:10 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 09, 2007, 02:54:58 AM
Quote from: hoopsaaa on September 08, 2007, 12:25:03 AM

Hoopsa - If Cavanagh is so good why then does he keep getting moved out of midfield in many games???
Because Tyrone had a hell of a lot of problems in their forward line this year? Cavanagh is good going forward but is an excellent midfielder.

He is regularly moved out of midfield because he is unable to win primary possession against bigger opponents. Very good going forward though. Just needs someone to give him the ball.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

oakleaf stateside

Dont Do It

Carmen Stateside