Thuggery in the GAA

Started by seafoid, May 24, 2016, 02:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: JoG2 on September 07, 2016, 03:47:17 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 07, 2016, 02:46:18 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 07, 2016, 01:27:45 PM
Further statement in relation to Fridays Minor Match

The club feel the need to comment on the story that is being broadcast around the country by the national and local media.
We re-iterate our condemnation of the events that unfolded.
However the reporting of how the situation developed is generally one-sided and not a true reflection of events in our opinion.
We cannot comment further at this time as we do not want to compromise the investigation by Sligo GAA and An Garda Siochana.
Cóiste Gaeil na hAbhainn Móire

The incident should be dealt with by the proper authorities and the appropriate penalties administered without fear or favour. One sided newspaper reports and county secretaries doing tours of radio stations are not helpful. Especially when said county secretary wouldn't know a rulebook if it hit him in the face.

what's the punishment for spectators kicking a man unconscious as per the rulebook?

What is the suspension for hitting a county secretary in the face with a rule book?

muppet

Quote from: Buckass on September 07, 2016, 03:48:08 PM
Hi Muppet,
Apologies if you didn't understand my post...I was under the illusion that your username was an ironic one.
There is no excuse for violence in any situation, and an assault such as this needs to be dealt with by the authorities (ie the gardai/courts etc as well as GAA).
I shouldn't have integrated a personal observation on a GAA tradition of officiating with the thuggery afterwards. If the shoe was on the other foot (not for assault purposes, you'll understand) and Shamrock Gaels held a slender lead then there is no way 8 minutes would have been played. Separating my points into paragraphs was obviously not enough in highlighting my disgust at the incident, nor was the line that 'there is no excuse for this behaviour anywhere'.
Deepest apologies Muppet.

Your post was crystal clear.

"Playing 8 minutes of injury time in a game free from any injury to give an established club time to draw with a club who've not seen the colour of an 'A' final is a common GAA theme however. Quoting the number of subs used is bs."

It was all part of an outrageous conspiracy against your minors. We get it.

Your concern at the violence against the ref and those defending him seems very shallow when you explain their motives.
MWWSI 2017

Buckass

Neither side are my club muppet, and I wasn't present, but I hold my hand up..shouldn't have mentioned underdog treatment in message when some people could confuse it to be justifying assault.
In a separate paragraph and totally unrelated, I read about a troll to the kids in the billy goats gruff.

muppet

Quote from: Buckass on September 07, 2016, 08:58:20 PM
Neither side are my club muppet, and I wasn't present, but I hold my hand up..shouldn't have mentioned underdog treatment in message when some people could confuse it to be justifying assault.
In a separate paragraph and totally unrelated, I read about a troll to the kids in the billy goats gruff.

Underdog treatment?

By the referee???

You did it again.

MWWSI 2017

Buckass

;D muppet, you are one of a kind ..thankfully.

muppet

Maybe, but on this thread you are the only one attacking the referee. So you are also one of a kind.
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: Buckass on September 07, 2016, 08:58:20 PM

Tis a great story

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on September 07, 2016, 10:39:40 PM
Maybe, but on this thread you are the only one attacking the referee. So you are also one of a kind.

From what I've heard there was more than one side attacking the referee (though I heard no reports of this being physical) and several other unsavoury incidents that went unreported, bottles thrown at players etc.

Clearly no-one is condoning the violence that is alleged to have occurred. As stated before and by many others I hope that the proper authorities deal correctly and fairly with any transgressions that took place.

I also think it is ok to comment on other aspects of the game/situation without it being construed as condoning violence, is it not? Buckass' observation about the 8 minutes and if it was the other way around is correct. As someone whose club has suffered due to an referee playing ridiculous and unjustified amounts of injury time I could understand anger and a tense situation especially with other reported incidents having taken place. The blame here is being pointed in one direction and my understanding is that this is not accurate.

Also - again not condoning anything - but there was no need for this to hit the newspapers and national radio. A competent county board would have issued a statement saying the investigation was taking place and would deal with the incident appropriately.

muppet

I agree with most of that Seanie.

However two points.

1) A detective being assaulted and knocked out at an underage match will most likely be national news, whether it is Rugby, Soccer or GAA. I am not sure anyone could have kept it out of the news once there were local journalists there, never mind social media.

2) The is a difference between pointing out that the ref played 8 minutes extra time (and any other reasonable observation), and alleging an organised conspiracy against a team, obviously conducted through the referee. Plenty of us get hot under the collar at matches, but we don't go attacking refs and I think most of us are past the organised conspiracy phase by now. The conspiracy/corrupt referee  claim is particularly damaging as it, in the eyes of some, would be such a huge injustice that it would justify almost any action.
MWWSI 2017

Il Bomber Destro

The Ulster Council should come down very heavily on the parties involved particularly those Derrytresk lads.

Oh wait.

JoG2

iorras

"Ah he's a lovely lad"
"Totally out of character"
"Sure he was provoked"

The wheel of "I couldn't possible take responsibility for my actions" will be well spun on this one, as it always is in every similar situation in irish life

Beffs

Quote from: iorras on September 16, 2016, 04:56:55 PM
"Ah he's a lovely lad"
"Totally out of character"
"Sure he was provoked"

The wheel of "I couldn't possible take responsibility for my actions" will be well spun on this one, as it always is in every similar situation in irish life

You forgot about "he comes from a good GAA family"  ::)