2018 NFL Division 2

Started by tippabu, December 31, 2017, 11:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippabu

Any word on diarmuid murtaghs injury in the Meath match, worry that he'll miss game time or should he be ok? Would be a big loss

If powter and McGuire are out for a while for cork they are in big trouble.

Syferus

Quote from: tippabu on January 29, 2018, 10:11:23 AM
Any word on diarmuid murtaghs injury in the Meath match, worry that he'll miss game time or should he be ok? Would be a big loss

Thigh injury apparently and it's not too bad. We have enough cover with players like Donie Smith and the Creggs that he won't be rushed back if he's not ready, though.

theyellowbus

Roscommom let a win slip awful handy yesterday. we didn't  close the game out when we had the chance.Cant understand all the changes made with 15-20 mins left.
Definitely unsettled us and we lost the upper hand after that.
Meath were very poor bar the last ten minutes which makes yesterdays result all the more disappointing.
We have a problem with our goalie,full back and midfield going on yesterdays performance.We were constantly cleaned out on our own kick outs and won very little breaks around the middle. we made way too many mistakes in open play which cost us extra scores especially when we had the elements in our favour in the 2nd half.Too many misplaced passes,wrong option taken,balls slipping in possession, poor delivery into the full forward line.
After watching the Tipperary game i don't hold out much hope of beating them unless we improve ten fold.Its only January but major improvements needed.
Finbar Cregg unfortunately isn't up to the standard based on yesterdays performance and earlier FBD games.

Syferus

Quote from: theyellowbus on January 29, 2018, 05:54:24 PM
Roscommom let a win slip awful handy yesterday. we didn't  close the game out when we had the chance.Cant understand all the changes made with 15-20 mins left.
Meath were very poor bar the last ten minutes which makes yesterdays result all the more disappointing.
We have a problem with our goalie,full back and midfield going on yesterdays performance.We were constantly cleaned out on our own kick outs and won very little breaks around the middle. we made way too many mistakes in open play which cost us extra scores especially when we had the elements in our favour in the 2nd half.Too many misplaced passes,wrong option taken,balls slipping in possession, poor delivery into the full forward line.
After watching the Tipperary game i don't hold out much hope of beating them unless we improve ten fold.Its only January but major improvements needed.
Finbar Cregg unfortunately isn't up to the standard based on yesterdays performance and earlier FBD games.

All the FB line played really well yesterday. Probably the most settled line of the field. Strange you'd single them out.

Bar a couple wayward kick-outs Lavin did well (and saved a couple of points due to his fielding ability) and couldn't really be blamed for many of the failures to win the ball around the middle at the end.

tippabu

Quote from: Syferus on January 29, 2018, 04:01:39 PM
Quote from: tippabu on January 29, 2018, 10:11:23 AM

Thigh injury apparently and it's not too bad. We have enough cover with players like Donie Smith and the Creggs that he won't be rushed back if he's not ready, though.

Thats good, nobody likes see one of a teams best players sidelined long term

tippabu

I see tipp are the slightest of favorites at 10/11 for sundays game which is near enough right, it should be a 50/50 game. Ourselves and roscommon are near enough the same in terms of underage success and achievements at senior level in recent times with roscommon maybe 2 years further down the road in terms of development. Our performance was not anywhere near as polished as people make out and are judging it off corks reputation moreso than their circumstances on saturday. We will need to improve alot in certain aspects of our play but theres a big pressure lifted now with the 1st win under our belts. I always had this game as a much bigger test than the cork one and still believe that. Hopefully we improve on week one and can keep the positive start going

twohands!!!

Quote from: tippabu on January 29, 2018, 06:19:12 PM
I see tipp are the slightest of favorites at 10/11 for sundays game which is near enough right, it should be a 50/50 game. Ourselves and roscommon are near enough the same in terms of underage success and achievements at senior level in recent times with roscommon maybe 2 years further down the road in terms of development. Our performance was not anywhere near as polished as people make out and are judging it off corks reputation moreso than their circumstances on saturday. We will need to improve alot in certain aspects of our play but theres a big pressure lifted now with the 1st win under our belts. I always had this game as a much bigger test than the cork one and still believe that. Hopefully we improve on week one and can keep the positive start going

Yeah I thought given how open Cork's defence was that the 3-16 Tipp scored fell into the respectable/decent category.

Cork still continue to be over-rated imo.

The only 2 teams they beat in the league last year were the two relegated teams Derry and Fermanagh.
In the championship they had 2 wins - beating Waterford by a point and Tipperary by a point.
Last week they needed an injury time goal to beat Clare in the McGrath Cup.

macdanger2

The goalie looked to be badly at fault for the second goal, should definitely have done better I thought

Cunny Funt

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 29, 2018, 10:07:20 PM

The goalie looked to be badly at fault for the second goal, should definitely have done better I thought

Looked like he tried to save it with the wrong hand, the defending by Roscommon on both Meath goals was very poor. Loads of bodies around but not a glove laid on the attackers nothing new with Roscommon defensively i suppose and i would expect McGrath,Sweeney,Quinlivan etc to cause serious damage next Sunday.

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 29, 2018, 10:07:20 PM

Very tough to blame the keeper for either goal.

Rossfan

The old Ros problems of midfield and  loose defence remain unsolved.
It's basic that you don't let an opponent sail through your defence and nobody but nobody hassles, tackles or tries to impede the hoor.......
How many defenders were standing watching as Meath scored their 2nd goal?
Have we any defensive coach? Shouldn't lads who make an inter County team know about staying tight to your man and also not letting ball carriers have the freedom of the park?
Fearful for next Sunday but hopeful that the old NFL thing of good week/bad week might come into play. .....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

theyellowbus

Quote from: Syferus on January 29, 2018, 06:07:49 PM

All the FB line played really well yesterday. Probably the most settled line of the field. Strange you'd single them out.

Bar a couple wayward kick-outs Lavin did well (and saved a couple of points due to his fielding ability) and couldn't really be blamed for many of the failures to win the ball around the middle at the end.
[/b]

I didn't single the whole line i meant the full back john mcmanus.Mcinereny and murray played well i thought and snuffed out a few dangerous meath attacks in the first half.Howvwer i dont think John Mc is the solution at 3 he seems too loose and can be caught out of position at times.However i think he is being pigeon holed into that position by the management as he is a good footballer at this level but just not at 3.I know Kilroy acting as an extra back helped last year in terms of protection for the full back but is it the answer??

Lavin's fielding is definitely one of his strong points as his his support out the field with the ball which was good to see. However his kick outs were only average at best although the lack of movement at times out the field didn't help.

If we can cut out the basic handling and passing errors we will do well in this Div but can we improve that much by this Sunday??
We need a quicker companion for TOR in the middle to counter act his lack of pace. Conor or Niall maybe?

Whats the story with Harney and Brian Stack at the moment? Also are we likely to see any of the glaveys contingent after the weekend?
I think young heneghan will make a great footballer at this level.

twohands!!!

Some stats from the Cork Tipp game

From Eamon Myers
@arantaobhline on Twitter

tippabu

I think the only thing you can take from them stats is goals win games and tipp better individual performances were key. Nothing stands out really, was all fairly even

Itchy

Quote from: tippabu on January 30, 2018, 02:46:09 PM
I think the only thing you can take from them stats is goals win games and tipp better individual performances were key. Nothing stands out really, was all fairly even

Well yes and the big difference is the % efficiency in converting chances to scores - 61% versus 53%