Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samforever

Quote from: ballela-angel on June 20, 2016, 01:41:18 PM
The last time we played Longford was in the 2010 championship in Newry and we won thanks to a jammy penalty
And look what happened after that

ballela-angel

What happened next was all the stars in the heavens looked at each other and asked " Lets all line up perfectly and just see how far  we can run with this" and it was a most enjoyable run until McComisky was substituted

That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

rosskarr

Some wit about today. We carry on in hope.

Smurfy123

Anyone going to have a guess of starting 15

It could be anything

Hard team to pick

supersub

Smurfy123

I did pick a team wobbles
You not see it?
My team v Monaghan was not far off
Give or take 6:)

wobbller

Just saw it there on the main board.11 probably will start.

Smurfy123

Which 11?
Give us your starting 15
Davidson start?

cut the crap

I would put Peter Turley at centre half back preferring a more mobile midfield with hopefully a different kick out tactic, big lad who are gives so much at midfield he rarely finishes a game having expended so much energy, Stevie is a good shot stopper but kick outs are his problem I would change him, keep McKernan at midfield with McArdle, up front I'd go with Davidson if he's fit , no need then for OHare who by all accounts is rarely fit for his club, I also like the idea of starting Mason who was our best u21 two years ago, but any change by management will be scrutinised and criticised but they have to show they are willing to accept what they put out against Monaghan was woeful , I'd go man for man , if they play a sweeper push up on him and go for it , let's have a decent enjoyable game, no more 14 behind the ball , it's Longford !!

thewobbler

Me, I'm more prudent.

I hope Down use this match as a stepping stone to something better, which means treating it as a serious Championship match, and putting a structure in place that makes is hard to beat. 2 sweepers and 2 defensively minded wing forwards, all protecting the D and transitioning at pace.

By the way, while Kane's kick outs were shocking can Monaghan, there is a bigger problem than him for restarts. Playing shorter kick outs is a cultural thing as much as it is execution. It requires players to leave space, and willing recipients to run with intent into that space. Against Monaghan, we were locked in a time capsule circa 1987, where our willing recipients would isolate themselves on the back foot against 2-3 opponents and roar at the keeper to let it long.

Maybe Kane just had a complete meltdown. I hope so. But what I was watching suggested a lack of fundamental thinking across the team.

Rodders88

Wobbler is completely right...say what you want about Kane's kick outs the last day, but its up to the players out the field to move and make space for him to kick the ball into. Monaghan had it down to a tee the last day.

Every time Down had a restart from a kick out, there was very little movement which meant Kane had no other option than to put it long. Down have had no kick out strategy this past 6 years, until they start working on one, it will be the same old story.

Lecale Gael

james mccartan may have once said when in charge of seniors after so many short kicks went over sideline they kinda give up on it. I heard or read it somewhere.....
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Mourne Rover

The previous posters were quite right to point out that successful kick-outs depend just as much on the strategy introduced by our management and implemented by the outfield players as they do on the keeper. However, while Kane is our best shot stopper, and is excellent under the dropping ball, there has always been an issue about his distribution. It was obvious when we played at Clones in February and led to the introduction of Cunningham for the rest of the league until his injury. Reid has no experience at senior county level but has a confident approach to his kick-outs and there is a strong case for giving him a chance.

wobbller

Quote from: Mourne Rover on June 21, 2016, 04:59:18 PM
The previous posters were quite right to point out that successful kick-outs depend just as much on the strategy introduced by our management and implemented by the outfield players as they do on the keeper. However, while Kane is our best shot stopper, and is excellent under the dropping ball, there has always been an issue about his distribution. It was obvious when we played at Clones in February and led to the introduction of Cunningham for the rest of the league until his injury. Reid has no experience at senior county level but has a confident approach to his kick-outs and there is a strong case for giving him a chance.
And he's had a distinguished U21 campaign.

TheClutch

The Centenary Cup and Shield finals are being played in Newry on Sunday evening.

This is a great occasion for the Division 4 clubs who are involved. Even though the football is not up to the usual standard of the club (not county :P) championship games that are traditionally played in Newry; are there be many gaels considering attending these games?
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)