Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 18, 2012, 12:05:47 AM
Inching towards a quarter of people in the 26 counties wanting to put back in power the party which bankrupted the place and surrendered sovereignty. Pathetic beyond belief! Shameful!
i can understand why people might be tempted to try FF again. Enda has been no great shakes and SF havent really done anything  in the south since gerry went down there. o doherty might have been a better choice but i really dont know  what is behind their policies.
having said that sf are in power in stormont and the north is in a mess
with no direction whatsoever.

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on November 18, 2012, 02:05:05 PM
gerry is caring and decent and that isnt what is needed.
;D
Brilliant! Yes, he's practically Mother Teresa. Nothing to do with competence - it's just that he's all heart.

Nally Stand

Quote from: naka on November 19, 2012, 02:51:12 PM
i can understand why people might be tempted to try FF again.

Yeah it's not as if they bankrupted the state and surrendered it's sovereignty or anything bad like that I suppose.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

I can't understand this move against Jim Wells.

MLAs reject attempt to exclude DUP's Jim Wells
By Gareth Gordon
BBC NI political correspondent

The Assembly has rejected an attempt to exclude the DUP MLA Jim Wells from the chamber for a week.

The sanction had been suggested by a Stormont committee after Mr Wells refused to apologise for comments he made to Mary McArdle, former adviser to the Culture Minister Caral Ni Chuilin.

Ms McArdle was convicted for her part in the 1984 murder of magistrate's daughter Mary Travers.

The motion was defeated by 51 votes to 49.

Mr Wells made the comments last year when the controversial appointment of Ms McArdle was in the headlines.

Ms McArdle had been convicted for her part in the shooting of the young school teacher.

Mary Travers, 22, was shot as she left Mass at Derryvolgie, Belfast, with her father, magistrate Tom Travers. Ms McArdle was sentenced to a life term and was released under the Good Friday Agreement.

She has since left the adviser post and been replaced by Jarlath Kearney, a former journalist who has worked as a Sinn Fein policy adviser.

In two separate encounters last summer Mr Wells made his views known face-to-face and vehemently to the minister and her then adviser.

Kieran McCarthy, deputy chair of the standards and privileges committee, said Ms Ni Chuilin claimed Mr Wells behaved in an aggressive and threatening manner telling her 'You needn't think you're going to bring that murderer to South Down'.

Ms McArdle alleged that Mr Wells had confronted her later on the same month - she said that Mr Wells had passed her on the first floor of the corridor in parliament buildings and had said to her, "there's the murderer herself".

Mr Wells admits calling Ms McArdle a monster adviser but denies calling her a murderer.

Last week the former assembly standards commissioner Tom Frawley decided Mr Wells had not shown the women enough respect.

So he called a convicted murder a murderer, apparently - is that it?
And Catriona Ruane is accusing him of being anti-Catholic, anti-Nationalist and a misogynist - am I missing something here? I wouldn't consider Wells to be a very likeable individual, but I can't understand the fuss over this - or Ruane's response.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 17, 2012, 10:04:28 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 17, 2012, 09:31:41 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 17, 2012, 12:45:02 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 16, 2012, 11:41:46 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on November 16, 2012, 01:49:16 PM
Quote from: Ulick on November 16, 2012, 01:36:51 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 16, 2012, 12:29:11 PM
Seriously worried about the lack of a strong nationalist/republican party, shinners and the stoops are Peter's lapdogs. Not one inch of parity of esteem has followed from the GFA and no sign of a UI in the next 100 years...well done guys.

What exactly are you doing to gain "parity of esteem" or advance the cause of UI?

thats what we vote sf for. they need to keep at it. good to hear them call for the release of Marian Price though. thought they should have been a lot more vocal during the summer around parades and bonfires etc.
Fc*K Marian Price she is a dissident. What about proper representation .
Clown.
Happy to be a clown but Ms Price wants to drag us back to war, and no one I know wants to go there.
You talk on one hand about decent representation and parity of esteem and on the other, show a total ignorance of learning from the past by supporting internment without trial. Glad you're happy being a clown because you're nothing more.
This is not internment, she new what she was doing by consorting with dissidents therefore breaking the terms of her licence which were negotiated as part of the GFA by Sinn Fein. I would look in the mirror before calling anyone names.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 19, 2012, 05:40:32 PM

By Gareth Gordon

The Assembly has rejected an attempt to exclude the DUP MLA Jim Wells from the chamber for a week.

The sanction had been suggested by a Stormont committee after Mr Wells refused to apologise for comments he made to Mary McArdle, former adviser to the Culture Minister Caral Ni Chuilin.

Ms McArdle was convicted for her part in the 1984 murder of magistrate's daughter Mary Travers.

Mr Wells made the comments last year when the controversial appointment of Ms McArdle was in the headlines.

Ms McArdle had been convicted for her part in the shooting of the young school teacher.

Mary Travers, 22, was shot as she left Mass at Derryvolgie, Belfast, with her father, magistrate Tom Travers. Ms McArdle was sentenced to a life term and was released under the Good Friday Agreement.

She has since left the adviser post and been replaced by Jarlath Kearney, a former journalist who has worked as a Sinn Fein policy adviser.

In two separate encounters last summer Mr Wells made his views known face-to-face and vehemently to the minister and her then adviser.

Kieran McCarthy, deputy chair of the standards and privileges committee, said Ms Ni Chuilin claimed Mr Wells behaved in an aggressive and threatening manner telling her 'You needn't think you're going to bring that murderer to South Down'.

Ms McArdle alleged that Mr Wells had confronted her later on the same month - she said that Mr Wells had passed her on the first floor of the corridor in parliament buildings and had said to her, "there's the murderer herself".

Mr Wells admits calling Ms McArdle a monster adviser but denies calling her a murderer.

Last week the former assembly standards commissioner Tom Frawley decided Mr Wells had not shown the women enough respect.

And Catriona Ruane is accusing him of being anti-Catholic, anti-Nationalist and a misogynist - am I missing something here? I wouldn't consider Wells to be a very likeable individual, but I can't understand the fuss over this - or Ruane's response.
I think Ruane's discription would be fairly on the money. Jim is very much on the Nelson wing of the DUP. He performs well when talking on health, but Killkeel is not a bastion of reconcilliation. That said the outcome of this debate was predictable and I suspect it was more about point scoring than an apology. It just shows you the level of politics in the North. All the issues we have with the economy and MLA's still waste time on shit like this, marches etc. Plus Ca Change I believe the French would say. (I can't manage the dangly bit on the C pefore the French Grammar Police take isssue.)

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 20, 2012, 02:28:55 PM
Seriously worried about the lack of a strong nationalist/republican party, shinners and the stoops are Peter's lapdogs. Not one inch of parity of esteem has followed from the GFA and no sign of a UI in the next 100 years...well done guys.

What exactly are you doing to gain "parity of esteem" or advance the cause of UI?

thats what we vote sf for. they need to keep at it. good to hear them call for the release of Marian Price though. thought they should have been a lot more vocal during the summer around parades and bonfires etc.
Clown.
Happy to be a clown but Ms Price wants to drag us back to war, and no one I know wants to go there.
You talk on one hand about decent representation and parity of esteem and on the other, show a total ignorance of learning from the past by supporting internment without trial. Glad you're happy being a clown because you're nothing more.
This is not internment, she new what she was doing by consorting with dissidents therefore breaking the terms of her licence which were negotiated as part of the GFA by Sinn Fein. I would look in the mirror before calling anyone names.

She was never released on licence, which makes your claim (and that of your ally, the former British SoS) that she broke the terms of "her licence" a bit odd. She was granted a so-called "royal pardon" which was conveniently "lost or destroyed". The only occurrence of this in recent history in fact.

It is clear cut internment. With an attitude like yours, you'd fit right in at the NIO. Amazing inability to learn from the past and shocking for someone who claims to want "parity of esteem" etc to be so willing to make excuses for a british minister interning people in Ireland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17071818
Former prison chaplain Monsignor Raymond Murray said Mr Paterson's decision had echoes of the past for nationalists.
"This is a form of internment," said Monsignor Murray, who was prison chaplain in Armagh for almost 20 years. "I am just shocked that the secretary of state wouldn't be aware of how seriously nationalist people look on internment. We thought it had all ended and here it is coming under a form of revocation, revoking a license. He would have to explain to us and explain the process of law as regards Marian Price. In any way has she broken the law? That would have to be provided but it is not provided by shoving her into prison on a pretence in an unjust way."
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

AQMP

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 20, 2012, 02:33:29 PM

By Gareth Gordon

I think Ruane's discription would be fairly on the money. Jim is very much on the Nelson wing of the DUP. He performs well when talking on health, but Killkeel is not a bastion of reconcilliation. That said the outcome of this debate was predictable and I suspect it was more about point scoring than an apology. It just shows you the level of politics in the North. All the issues we have with the economy and MLA's still waste time on shit like this, marches etc. Plus Ca Change I believe the French would say. (I can't manage the dangly bit on the C pefore the French Grammar Police take isssue.)

Shurely you mean a "cedille" or "cedilla" ;)

AQMP

By Gareth Gordon

Must be something "unparliamentary" about it or he wouldn't have denied calling her a murderer?

Cold tea

Quote from: AQMP on November 20, 2012, 03:19:57 PM

By Gareth Gordon

Shurely you mean a "cedille" or "cedilla" ;)

Ah the old spelling mistakes by design as well as the constant exclusion of any punctuation!!!  Redner and take kid! 

Maguire01

By Gareth Gordon

On what basis? What did he say here that could be construed as anti-Catholic, anti-Nationalist or misogynistic?

fitzroyalty

Why did mr wells not make similar comments to male members of SF with similar convictions?

Maguire01

Quote from: fitzroyalty on November 20, 2012, 08:45:26 PM
Why did mr wells not make similar comments to male members of SF with similar convictions?
What SPADs in particular are you referring to?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 20, 2012, 02:49:55 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 20, 2012, 02:28:55 PM

Clown.

She was never released on licence, which makes your claim (and that of your ally, the former British SoS) that she broke the terms of "her licence" a bit odd. She was granted a scaled "royal pardon" which was conveniently "lost or destroyed". The only occurrence of this in recent history in fact.

It is clear cut internment. With an attitude like yours, you'd fit right in at the NIO. Amazing inability to learn from the past and shocking for someone who claims to want "parity of esteem" etc to be so willing to make excuses for a British minister interning people in Ireland.

http://www.BBC.co.UK/news/uk-northern-ireland-17071818
Former prison chaplain Monsignor Raymond Murray said Mr Paterson's decision had echoes of the past for nationalists.
"This is a form of internment," said Monsignor Murray, who was prison chaplain in Armagh for almost 20 years. "I am just shocked that the secretary of state wouldn't be aware of how seriously nationalist people look on internment. We thought it had all ended and here it is coming under a form of revocation, revoking a license. He would have to explain to us and explain the process of law as regards Marian Price. In any way has she broken the law? That would have to be provided but it is not provided by shoving her into prison on a pretence in an unjust way."

Brilliant!! A Republican accepting a Royal pardon, whatever happened to her Republican principles. whatever way you dress it up Sinn Fein need to cut the cord with these dissidents and put them where they belong...in jail, time to move on. We were promised a push towards  unity this will not be achieved by given succour to Price and her likes.